Author Topic: Asking Your Current Employer for a Recommendation  (Read 667 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Asking Your Current Employer for a Recommendation
« on: February 10, 2012, 07:06:16 AM »
So, I have a fantastic job opportunity I want to apply for. My current boss LOVES me, and I want to user her as a reference. I'm leaving the area in August unless I get the job I'm applying for. The job is such that Courtney and I could live up here and save a boatload of money so we wouldn't have to take a loan out for school.

I work at a Subway, so I hope my boss would understand the situation. But, I don't want to... make her feel she can't trust me?

Halp?

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Asking Your Current Employer for a Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:14:09 AM »
You work at Subway. They don't expect you to work there forever, and asking your employer for a reference isn't a faux pas or anything. It's common.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:15:44 AM »
hi snapple... I can't see any problem with asking a manager for a rec... that's the nature of business life... I'm sure she had to do it herself at some point in her career... But if you're extremely uncomfortable with the situation, you can always tell the new company that you can't ask your current employer... as they wouldn't want you to leave....they would understand that....you can go with a previous employer, a happy customer or even with a neighbour or a friend who can speak about your strengths, skills, achievements and stuff.....

Good luck buddy!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »
A more general statement actually from a seasoned veteran: It's good to have good ties to your coworkers, but don't let that stand in the way of your career.Being a professional kinda requires a semi-calloused approach to things. If you're not, sooner or later you get thrown under the bus, something I've seen many times over the years. First and foremost you're in this for your own (financial and personal) gain, and that should guide your actions.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:03:57 AM »
You work at Subway. They don't expect you to work there forever, and asking your employer for a reference isn't a faux pas or anything. It's common.

This, and double this when your young age is taken into account.  As long as you're not jumping ship to Jimmy Johns or Quiznos your boss will probably be more excited for you than any hard or bitter feelings.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »
A more general statement actually from a seasoned veteran: It's good to have good ties to your coworkers, but don't let that stand in the way of your career.Being a professional kinda requires a semi-calloused approach to things. If you're not, sooner or later you get thrown under the bus, something I've seen many times over the years. First and foremost you're in this for your own (financial and personal) gain, and that should guide your actions.

rumborak

Wisdom

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »
There's no reason why a manager at Subway shouldn't be willing to give a recommendation. Just explain to her that you love working at Subway with her, but there's a great opportunity that you'd be a fool to pass up. A reasonable person would be happy for you and want to help you out.