Author Topic: 2 songs(more if u that have had THE most Impact on your life on a personal level  (Read 1271 times)

Offline njdtfan

So I was hanging with some good friends tonight, and we came up with this topic. Name 2 (and only 2) songs that have had a HUGE impact on your life. Be it musically, lyrically etc. If you feel the need to explain the reason so be it. I for one will share mine:

1) Dream Theater-The Spirit Carries On-

The Reason- was lucky enough to be at the NYC show of their performance with a friend. The day the CD was realeased 09/11/01, I had 2 advanced copies of the cd with the original cover, signed by the band. Hopped on a train from Jersey to NYC to suprise my friend that worked in the World Trade Center on 9/11. Halfway thru the tunnel the train stopped. The first plane hit. he was in the building. never made it out. ASong that is in my will to be played at my funeral.

2) Pearl Jam-Black-

A song that if you listen to the words, well in my case describe the love of my life, that I let go, because I felt I was not good enough for her. (I know some day you'll have a beautifull life). She was the love of my life and i f'd it up from my own stupidity)

Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
IQ- Further Away/ Camedown

I was in my early twenties when I heard these songs off of the Ever album.  I was deeply depressed and was borderline suicidal.  The songs spoke to me, through the lyrics, the music, and especially through Peter Nichol's voice.  For the first time I did not feel completely alone in the feelings I had been carrying most of my teens and early twenties.  I really can't explain the total impact without giving the complete story, which would take forever and is intensly personal.  I had a chance to meet Peter after a show in San Jose and thank him personally for the music he gave me. 

Yes- Rituals

Specifically, the Nous Somme du Soleil section.  This to me is the way I strive to feel, that sense of love and sharing, the joy.  It is my spiritual guide in that the closer my joy comes to the joy expressed in the song, the better I am doing spiritually.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
IQ- Further Away/ Camedown

I was in my early twenties when I heard these songs off of the Ever album.  I was deeply depressed and was borderline suicidal.  The songs spoke to me, through the lyrics, the music, and especially through Peter Nichol's voice.  For the first time I did not feel completely alone in the feelings I had been carrying most of my teens and early twenties.  I really can't explain the total impact without giving the complete story, which would take forever and is intensly personal.  I had a chance to meet Peter after a show in San Jose and thank him personally for the music he gave me. 

Yes- Rituals

Specifically, the Nous Somme du Soleil section.  This to me is the way I strive to feel, that sense of love and sharing, the joy.  It is my spiritual guide in that the closer my joy comes to the joy expressed in the song, the better I am doing spiritually.

*expected Magic Power*

For me... Black Dog.  At 14 years old, I had mostly been a pop/soft rock listening guy.  Hadn't really discovered music yet, and was trying to find my musical niche - my parents never really listened to music much, so it wasn't an important part of my early childhood.  My brother had just bought a wicked new stereo with this thing called a CD player (it was 1986, and they were pretty new).  First disc he put in was Zep IV.  Bobby Plant had me at "Hey Hey Mama".  Ever since then, I've been a Rock music guy - classic rock, glam rock, hard rock, prog rock ... anything with a rock core to it.

Second, either Fortune in Lies or The Killing Hand.  In 1996, I can't remember which song I heard first from DT, but it was one of these two.  I was completely blown away at the musical complexity and prowess that I was listening to.  I'd never heard anything like it in my life.  I'd just finished University, and hadn't done much in the way of musical discovery for 10 years.  DT opened me up to an entirely new world of music I never new existed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

*expected Magic Power*

Sorry bud, but the thread said personal level.  Magic Power did help define my love for music, but that holds a small candle to helping me define loving people in general or saving my life. ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Boston - Foreplay/Long Time - The first classic rock song that utterly blew me away and got me on the road towards discovering so much of that great music of the 70s.
Rush - The Spirit of Radio - The song that kicked my ass the most the first time I saw Rush, transforming me from a casual fan at that point into a huge fan.   

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
I don't really have a 'personal' connection to music, probably because I pay so little attention to lyrics.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

*expected Magic Power*

Sorry bud, but the thread said personal level.  Magic Power did help define my love for music, but that holds a small candle to helping me define loving people in general or saving my life. ;)

Good point. I stuck with the music connection. Would have to put some deep thought into the whole personal connection.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline majo

im - alexander the great - got me into metal/rock
waking vision - moon seagull - got me into jazz/fusion
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Online glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't really have a 'personal' connection to music, probably because I pay so little attention to lyrics.

I'm sort of in the same spot. I could point out a couple songs that had a huge influence on my taste in music but nothing that I really connect with on a personal level.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
None. I'm dead inside.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I have an entire playlist of songs like this, and then there are about five or six albums that I relate to as a complete work quite strongly on a personal level, so narrowing it down to two songs (or a few more) is a bit hard.

Puscifer's 'Momma Sed' has been a big one in recent years.

Bob Dylan's 'Not Dark Yet' is a pretty nice summary of how I feel about myself more often than not.

I feel extremely close to the lyrics of Metallica's 'The Outlaw Torn', which is a big factor in it being my favourite songs of theirs.

And Bob Dylan's 'Gates of Eden' has a beautiful, picturesque way of describing a lot of things I believe (or at least I feel it does, the lyrics are very cryptic, so I couldn't say if Bob was on a similar wavelength to me when he wrote it).

Offline BanksD

DT - Disappear

This song helped me to cope with the loss of someone who I loved very much, and It's hard for me not to get teary eyed when not hearing this song.

Persuader - To The End

Without this song I wouldn't be listening to to most of what I currently listen to.