Author Topic: I like Hagar-era Van Halen  (Read 2964 times)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Re: I like Hagar-era Van Halen
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 06:55:34 AM »
I liked Sammy until I read his book... now I think he's a dick.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 07:04:30 AM »
DLR all the way for me. he just makes VH the coolest rock band around - and that includes Guns N' Roses at their peak.
Hager, as good as he is, he just doesn't have the same X Factor that DLR has.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »
I like how the albums were released as follows:

Eat 'em and Smile - OU812

:lol  Ya know, I never noticed that.  :rollin:

And don't get me wrong Blob/Nick... I love OU812, just prefer Balance over it if I had to stack rank them.  As I look at the track listing, I'd say the first half of Balance > OU812; 2nd half < OU812.  Overall they're pretty close, but OU812 doesn't have any standout killer tracks - they're all just REALLY solid.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »
Always been just a casual fan of Hagar era VH; I will say that "Dreams", "Poundcake" and "Humans Being" are straight up awesome rock songs.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 04:34:50 PM »
I forgot about Humans Being. Ass kicker, right there.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 04:37:09 PM »

Humans Being is probably tied with Dreams as being my favorite Hagar era VH track.  The first time I heard it, I think I did a double take at the radio- didn't expect a Hagar era track to kick so much ass.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 05:42:52 PM »
Balance and F.U.C.K. were great, but the other ones were crap compared to DLR/Steve Vai records.

Wow, really?  If I had to rank all Van Halen, Sammy solo, and DLR solo albums together, 5150 would be up near the very top (probably in the #2 spot behind VH-I).

Just too much synth, a problem that most bands had back then...also it sounds like generic 80's american hair metal. I also find chickenfoot all too generic.. but hey it's pure american rock.. that's why it only sells there.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 12:12:15 AM »
This thread inspired my to put on the DVD of Live Right Here RIght Now.  Really awesome concert.  Got my surround sound headphones...

I love Sammy Hagar.  Ive seen his solo band once and him on his reunion tour with VH.  I thought he was great both times.  I have two of his solo DVDs and both his VH dvds.

I dont really mind VH not playing his songs live mostly because I dont think that style fits DLR at all.

I bought the Twister sound track when I was pretty young and I always really enjoyed that song, but didn't realize until a few years later how awesome VH was.  I was glad when they played it when I saw them.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2012, 05:08:45 AM »
Dreams is one my all time favorite songs and Sammy can still sing at 64, looks much younger and didn't he sell his Tequila business for like 60 or 70 million ?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 05:31:01 AM »

Don't forget - VH released F.U.C.K., followed by DLR's release Your Filthy Little Mouth.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 05:33:17 AM »

Don't forget - VH released F.U.C.K., followed by DLR's release Your Filthy Little Mouth.

Nice. Was that an intentional connection? I've never thought about that one before (knew about the OU812 one though). And it's named after the title track, so I never thought anything more of it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2012, 11:43:24 AM »
I actually find it kind of funny that since Hagar's departure the notion that the DLR era was always considered to be better has grown to such proportions.

When Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen, the consensus of most hard rock fans I knew was one part confusion over Hagar giving up a solo career that had just hit its commercial peak and nine parts HOLY SHIT THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME. Back then, this was a music landscape changing event, the sort of thing that hadn't happened since, arguably, Joe Walsh joining the Eagles. There wasn't a debate over who was better for the band, because back then, it was strictly no contest. Sammy Hagar was easily an upgrade over David Lee Roth.

I saw Van Halen on the OU812 tour. One of the best concerts I've ever been to. No one in that crowd missed DLR, and I think all of them would be amazed that today the notion that preferring the Van Hagar days would be viewed as heresy. Sure know I do. Other than the debut album, which is a justifiable classic, I don't like any DLR album better than the Hagar ones.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
5150 is by far the most kick ass Van Halen album of all time.

I love Van Halen/DLR and Van Halen/Hagar.. but..

BIG REASONS WHY SAMMY WAS A BETTER SINGER/FRONTMAN THAN DLR:

1. Sammy Hagar could sing live, whereas DLR was too fucking drunk to remember the words to the songs, let alone sing well.
2. Sammy could actually play guitar as well as sing.
3. DLR was ALWAYS hammered on stage. Just because he could do kicks and play with a fucking sword on stage doesn't make him a great frontman. Their music was aimed toward teenagers - DLR would have a big bottle of Jack Daniels on stage with him. What kind of an influence is that?
4. As soon as Sammy joined VH, they changed from a trashy, bad influence band who sung about wanting to fuck your teacher and one night stands, into a band that sung about following your dreams, hanging out with friends on a hot summer night and being in love.
5. Last but not least, if you watch Live Without A Net you'll notice they were having a fucking party on stage. Look at how much fucking fun they were having playing their music, joking around and laughing. I have yet to see a video of them with DLR having that much god damn fun.

But overall, I'm not trying to bash DLR or anything. I love the songs they've written with him and even though I feel like he's trying to sell me something every time I watch one of his interviews, I'm sure he's a good guy. But I think Hagar took VH to new heights and I regret not getting the chance to see him play with them.

To end my little rant I will say that I'm going to see Van Halen on June 1st at Staples and I'm fucking stoked!

LONG LIVE =VH= !!!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:43:15 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 12:34:53 AM »
Most of those reasons seem like a win to DLR to me. Come on, man. This is ROCK! :lol
I have a bootleg DVD where DLR is drunk (and most likely high), and gets a midget to come out with Jack Daniels for him. It absolutely does not get any more rock than that! :lol :metal
Sure Sammy was the better singer without question, but DLR's charisma was absolutely unbeatable. And no VH album rocks harder than VH1. It is the ultimate rock album.

But I'm not bagging out Hagar here. After all, 5150 is my second favourite VH album. :)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »
My definition of Rock isn't being a drunkin' fucking idiot.

• EB
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
Most of those reasons seem like a win to DLR to me. Come on, man. This is ROCK! :lol
I have a bootleg DVD where DLR is drunk (and most likely high), and gets a midget to come out with Jack Daniels for him. It absolutely does not get any more rock than that! :lol :metal
Sure Sammy was the better singer without question, but DLR's charisma was absolutely unbeatable. And no VH album rocks harder than VH1. It is the ultimate rock album.

But I'm not bagging out Hagar here. After all, 5150 is my second favourite VH album. :)
I definitely see your point. I guess I was just never into the whole 'rock star' thing. I always thought musicians who act like rock stars were always so full of themselves - Gene Simmons, Axl Rose, Dave Mustaine... I guess that's why I gravitated toward DT cause they're so humble and they try not to act like they're something they're not. They're not rock stars, they're musicians.. and damn good ones at that. I can't stand people who's ego is bigger than the band. idk. I hope that makes sense.

Plus I don't think it's cool to get drunk, fuck up the whole show and rip off a bunch of kids who paid money to see you perform.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 12:51:18 AM »

I definitely see your point. I guess I was just never into the whole 'rock star' thing. I always thought musicians who act like rock stars were always so full of themselves - Gene Simmons, Axl Rose, Dave Mustaine... I guess that's why I gravitated toward DT cause they're so humble and they try not to act like they're something they're not. They're not rock stars, they're musicians.. and damn good ones at that. I can't stand people who's ego is bigger than the band. idk. I hope that makes sense.

It makes sense, but DT shouldn't even really be mentioned in a discussion of pure "rock". There's a reason we have the term rockstar, and not progstar or folkstar. I think rock should be larger than life, and should have a presence that transcends just a bunch of guys playing music on a stage. Obviously the music comes first, but seeing the original lineup of VH on stage is something magical you can only get from big ego scumbags.
Don't get me wrong, I love DT for the same reason, and they're nice guys. But when it comes to hard rock, I respect the larger than life characters, and to me that translates to much better hard rock. It also means they're going to implode a lot quicker than DT's relatively stable lineup. :lol

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »
I prefer Van Halen over Van Hagar.

Granted, I have all the albums by the former and have only heard the singles by the latter.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 01:37:39 AM »
I prefer Van Halen over Van Hagar.

Granted, I have all the albums by the former and have only heard the singles by the latter.

While the singles by Van Hagar are all amazing, they only give a pretty narrow picture of the albums. The singles are mostly just the ballads, so you're missing out on a lot of the rockers.

• EB
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »
Also forgot to mention - Van Halen did not release one cover song with Hagar (Live covers don't count).

Every album with Roth, besides 1984, had a cover. And do you know what their new album is? Van Halen doing old Van Halen songs from the 70's. They're covering themselves. xD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2012, 05:45:51 AM »
Not true. A Apolitical Blues is a Little Feat cover.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »
I'm a DLR fan for life, I'm affraid. That attitude is just godly.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2012, 07:20:24 AM »
Also forgot to mention - Van Halen did not release one cover song with Hagar (Live covers don't count).

Every album with Roth, besides 1984, had a cover.
Let's be fair, covers were more commonplace in popular music through the 60's and into the 70's.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 09:47:34 AM »
Not to mention that covers are not bad.  If the performance is kickin' and the band makes it their own, I've no issue at all. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »
Not to mention that covers are not bad.  If the performance is kickin' and the band makes it their own, I've no issue at all. 

Van Halen had a knack for making covers their own. :hat

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
Girl, you really got me now

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
Their music was aimed toward teenagers - DLR would have a big bottle of Jack Daniels on stage with him. What kind of an influence is that?

About as good an influence as Eddie smoking 2 packs a night.  Do you object to Michael Anthony's Jack Daniels bass, too?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »
Girl, you really got me now

I´d actually sing that to a girl in my class in school. LOL, she must have thought I was a right creepo.  :lol
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....