Author Topic: I like Hagar-era Van Halen  (Read 2965 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I like Hagar-era Van Halen
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
There, I said it. I'm right now listening to "Van Halen Live: Right here, Right now" and damn, that was an iconic album for me, and one of the MAJOR motivations for me to continue playing guitar.
And yes, I think Hagar is a good singer, and the FUCK album was excellent too.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: I like Hagar-era Van Halen
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:24:34 PM »
Hagar era >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Other VH eras

I think Hagar joining the band gave EVH more space to experiment and he came up with some very good stuff.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
I love Hagar with Van Halen, I don't think it's such an odd opinion you need to 'come out' because of it. :lol  I especially love Balance.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
I don't think it's such an odd opinion you need to 'come out' because of it. :lol

Really? I have experienced violent opposition to my opinion about Van Hagar, to the point where it makes you wonder whether you just said you like a tasty bowl of santorum.

rumborak

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:31:22 PM »
Those four albums were better than any four albums that DLR did with them.  The are so much more well rounded.  DLR era songs range from great to steaming turds.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:32:37 PM »
So, is it just urban myth that current-iteration VH won't play any Hagar-era music? If it's true I don't think I would shell out the money to see them.

rumborak

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
I don't think it's such an odd opinion you need to 'come out' because of it. :lol

Really? I have experienced violent opposition to my opinion about Van Hagar, to the point where it makes you wonder whether you just said you like a tasty bowl of santorum.

rumborak

Sure, you have haters, but that's true of lots of bands changing vocalists.  Hagar era is still very popular.

Those four albums were better than any four albums that DLR did with them.  The are so much more well rounded.  DLR era songs range from great to steaming turds.
Yup.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 12:35:11 PM »
*raises hand*  Fellow Hagar-era enthusiast here. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
I love Hagar-era anything.  People shit all over Van Hagar for some reason and it irritates the hell out of me.  He is one of my top 10 favorite singers, and an excellent songwriter as well.  He's no Shakespeare, but Hagar songs make me wanna roll down the window, crank my stereo to the point of pain, and let everybody else in traffic know what they're missing out on.  Hagar stuff is perfect for the stereotypical beach party with the boom box, bonfire, and cooler full of beer.  "Dreams" is my single favorite Sammy Hagar vocal.  It gives me chills every time.

I've seen him a few times with the Waboritas and each time, it was like going to a big party.  You can tell that playing and singing and entertaining is as much for the sake of the audience as it is for himself.  He's having fun the entire time and it's obvious.  When the guy on stage is clearly having a good time, the audience is gonna have a good time too.

LRHRN was an excellent live album.  I especially loved their cover of Won't Get Fooled Again.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »
*raises hand*  Fellow Hagar-era enthusiast here.
While I love Roth-era, Hagar-era is just as good if not better in places.
The fact that Hagar sang the classics better IMO makes me love him.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »
Live One Way to Rock and Give to Live are both pure bliss.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 12:43:16 PM »
Two Sides of Love and The Girl Gets Around are ear candy as well.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
Hey I don't like his voice, sounds like a another crappy 80's band frontman, come to think of it he reminds me of Dee Snider voice. That being said EVHalen made some awesome songs on Van Hagar. Balance and F.U.C.K. were great, but the other ones were crap compared to DLR/Steve Vai records.

My two cents... and the "Truth" is awesome too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »
Balance and F.U.C.K. were great, but the other ones were crap compared to DLR/Steve Vai records.

Wow, really?  If I had to rank all Van Halen, Sammy solo, and DLR solo albums together, 5150 would be up near the very top (probably in the #2 spot behind VH-I).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »
People also like to ride them for doing the ballads they did with Hagar, but for me, Love Walks In and When It's Love are absolutely amazing songs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 01:05:41 PM »
Summer Nights is perhaps the most aptly named, just chillin' with my pals in the heat of summer song ever done.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
I don't know if the albums, as a whole, are actually better (I've never really listened to a ton of Van Halen outside the radio hits), but I do know that Sammy Hagar is a vastly superior singer to David Lee Roth.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 01:35:40 PM »
Van Hagar was great, and arguably more consistent than the Roth era.  I would argue that only two of those first six Roth VH albums are consistently really good from start to finish (I and Fair Warning), while three of the four Van Hagar albums are consistently really good (all but OU812). 

In short, both eras have plenty of great stuff for us all to enjoy. :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
^That.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »
I pretty much like both eras equally.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »
Summer Nights is perhaps the most aptly named, just chillin' with my pals in the heat of summer song ever done.

Another song that gets regular rotation at summer pool parties at the Sir GuitarCozmo compound.  I love it.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »
I prefer Roth era over Sammy but I loved the Sammy era too. I get pissed at either side (Roth/Hagar) bitching at each other (or when they are jumping on the Van Halen bros) which is why I usually stay out of topics like this.

As I've stated before when by chance a band somehow is so massive and develops a fan base with two separate singers you're almost always gonna have 50 percent of the fan base complaining because their guy isn't singing with the band. I'm just thankful to have a lot of great music from Van Halen with any of them.  I'll leave it at that.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
As I've stated before when by chance a band somehow is so massive and develops a fan base with two separate singers you're almost always gonna have 50 percent of the fan base complaining because their guy isn't singing with the band. I'm just thankful to have a lot of great music from Van Halen with any of them.  I'll leave it at that.
I think you're making a bit too much of the situation.  Fans with extreme opinions just seem to be more vocal, pretty much anywhere.  Those that are more laid back, or have less controversial opinions, either get chased away or just don't care to participate.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »
With the new VH thread going over the last couple of minths, I have gone back and listened to my Van Hagar CDs. Been at least a dozen years since. I am definlitley a DLR era guy, but the Van Hagar has definitely help up.
Saw them many times back in the late 80's/early 90's and those shows were epic. I love OU812 and I think 5150 is the weakest..go figure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »
Balance and F.U.C.K. were great, but the other ones were crap compared to DLR/Steve Vai records.

Wow, really?  If I had to rank all Van Halen, Sammy solo, and DLR solo albums together, 5150 would be up near the very top (probably in the #2 spot behind VH-I).

I don't know if it's my #2 or not, but I will agree that 5150 is a really fantastic album.   Even if my two favorites tend to be the ones that get crapped on (Get Up and Inside)  :sad:

Sammy's a better singer...but I'm just so enamored with DLR's "flair"...I don't know how else to put it.  His improv style of delivery is just something that I think makes him the all time greatest frontman in the history of rock.     I don't even tend to like people that talk as much as he does, but for some reason, he can talk for a straight hour and never get boring.     I still remember whenever Circus or Hit Parader magazines came out with DLR interviews in their heyday...they would *always* have to make it a double issue to make up for how long Dave would talk...but they were the FUNNEST things to read.   

I have not heard Balance.   Don't know why.   But I can say that I love 5150, really *don't* like OU812, and really like about 2/3rds of For Unlawful.    Whereas I adore every note they ever recorded with Dave.   (with the exception of Jump...worst DLR song ever.)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
I love Van Halen both with DLR and Hagar. VH1 would still be my favourite VH album, but 5150 is right behind that. Hagar era had the most amazing ballads, and they had a lot of great rockers that went totally under the radar.
OU812 is weaker, and I don't even bother with Balance at all, but 5150 and F.U.C.K are great albums, and I rank them very highly. Hagar has one of the craziest voices. Love the guy.

Being a "newer" VH fan, I've never felt the need for comparison, or choosing one era over the other. Hagar was undoubtedly the better singer, and that lead to the better ballads, but DLR has a charisma that can't be matched, combined with early VH's raw rock edge to create that hard rock magic that is pretty hard to recapture.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 11:06:58 PM »
Sammy definitely has the better voice, and all their era albums are consistent (Specially FUCK and 5150), and it has less "filler" tracks in my opinion than the DLR era. I think that the best songs of DLR era top the best songs of Van Hagar, but the worst songs on DLR era are worse than the worse songs of Van Hagar.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 05:21:01 AM »
Anyone that hasn't heard Balance definitely should. It's a very good album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 05:27:06 AM »

+1 

Better than OU812, that's for sure.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 05:30:13 AM »

+1 

Better than OU812, that's for sure.

I disagree. At least OU812 has When It's Love, Cabo Wabo, Source of Infection, Feels So Good, Finish What You Started, Black and Blue........ actually now that I think about it, there's not even a comparison. Balance has pretty much nothing on it. The mid 90s were not kind to VH at all. :p
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 05:35:15 AM »
I like Balance, but OU812 is the better album I think.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 05:57:07 AM »
5150 and Balance for me.  I think the other two are spotty. They go from great songs to very poor songs.  I love both VH's for different reasons.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 05:59:32 AM »
I've only heard Can't Stop Loving You from Balance, and I think it's a great song.

But overall I prefer the DLR era, especially the first 2-3 albums, that style of rock they did.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 06:04:57 AM »
What I like about OU812 is that it seems to have some character to it. FUCK does too, but OU812 is the one Han Hagar album that feels like it has the closest ties to the DLR era. That's just my opinion.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 06:26:40 AM »
I like how the albums were released as follows:

Eat 'em and Smile - OU812