Author Topic: [Music] Rush - Permanent Waves  (Read 4599 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
[Music] Rush - Permanent Waves
« on: April 30, 2009, 03:51:58 PM »
Rush - Permanent Waves
Progressive Hard Rock

You know how some people are so good looking that it becomes weird? Actors, actresses and models who, if you were standing by them in a bar, you’d stealthily shuffle away from because they’d make you feel so uncomfortable? That’s how I’d best describe Rush’s Permanent Waves, a record with six songs, running for no longer than 36 minutes, that’s perfect for no other reason than all six of those songs being really, really good. It doesn’t stand out for its overall punch, or because of the atmosphere it creates, but rather, because it's consistently entertaining. So consistent, in fact, that, yes, I'd go so far to call it weird.

All other so-called ‘prog albums’ are still trembling in the wake of this record. Suddenly, Geddy Lee doesn’t sound like a girl and suddenly, five minute songs are technical while ten minute songs are hooky. Pink Floyd were masters of such songwriting before Rush were, but what separates Rush from the Floyd is their positivity. These are positive-sounding songs that, at heart, are hard rock, and the band, especially Alex Lifeson, loves to underscore them on albums and then unleash them in all their glory when playing live (see “Freewill”).

Seriously, is there any other band that crafts music so enjoyable on so many levels as Rush? I don’t think so. And that’s another reason why Permanent Waves is so good. “The Spirit of Radio”, in particular, is so iconic in its endless barrage of groves and hooks, but there are subtleties to it that no one ever mentions. Most prominently, it's probably Neil Peart’s finest lyrical hour, this man clearly disheartened by what music represents to some people, and what it results in, a theme he’d explore furthermore with “Limelight” on Moving Pictures. The track is so smart, but also so inconspicuous, and it’s probably at its best playing through your car speakers while you’re driving on the highway, the wind blowing through your hair, and your favorite radio station cranked.

The album seems to have a relationship with nature at times, “Natural Science” in particular not only speaking of it but also sounding as if it’s a part of it, thundering waves bookending the epic while everything in-between sounds like it’s happening outdoors as well. The guitars, in particular, sound aqueous, Lifeson clearly having fun experimenting with his tones and filling every hole of space with glorious sound. The whole album is like that, I think, in the way that it’s so full. The day a 5.1 mix of the thing drops will be the day Steven Wilson wets his pants, I assure you.

But what takes the album over-the-top, something that Rush has always excelled at, is that there are songs here that that are great in their simplicity, not their complexity. “Jacob’s Ladder”, probably the weakest track here, is good fun with its thrashing around, but sometimes breathers are needed, which are given to us in the form of “Entre Nous” and “Different Strings”. Both songs sound as if they were written quickly, not because they’re sloppy but because there are no other possibilities for how they could’ve sounded. They both flow so logically, and so well.

No doubt about it, Permanent Waves is the best of the Rush albums. It’s where Rush’s hard rock roots and progressive rock aspirations intersected, and were optimized, the band finding themselves by utilizing an unfounded marriage of ambition and comfort. I’d also argue that to this day, it's a colossal influence on contemporary progressive metal acts, and the obligatory ‘hit single’ that most of them feel the need to include on every new release. Up until Rush, not as many technically gifted bands were writing restrained prog, and while an unfathomable number of bands try to pull it off today (in moderation, of course), few do. Certainly not as well.

***** (out of five)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:21:45 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: [Music] Rush - Permanent Waves
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:32:07 AM »
Excellent review and I agree on all points  :tup

It's definitely my favorite Rush album because it's its accessibility and sophistication.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:25:23 AM »
Don't agree with it being the best, but love the review and the rating, great job TOX.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:06:54 AM »
Awesome review, although I need to check out Jason's Ladder. Is that a bonus track or B-side or. . .?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 12:58:22 PM »
Awesome review, although I need to check out Jason's Ladder. Is that a bonus track or B-side or. . .?

Nope, it's a normal album track.  It was actually covered by DT in Toronto in 2006; hopefully it will be on the new YtseJam release.  It's a good song, but I'm not a big fan of the last 4 minutes.  However, the first 3 are mind blowingly awesome, with my favourite Rush riff and one of my favourite Lifeson solos.

And I'm going to say that Natural Science has officially eclipsed Hemispheres as my favourite Rush song after listening to both this morning.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 10:01:38 PM »
Awesome review. I have listened the album a couple of times and I am sure that after reading your reviewI will enjoy every listen much more.

But I  :heart Jacob's Ladder  :-[

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:53:34 PM »
Dead on. And I appreciate the shout-out in the first paragraph.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »
Dead on. And I appreciate the shout-out in the first paragraph.

I just got this. Well played.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 09:09:08 AM »
I agree that it is their best overall album to date; it is in my all-time top five.

But "Jacob's Ladder" the weakest song on there?  Booooooooo!  That is probably my favorite song on it, and is a borderline top five Rush song for me.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »
I agree that it is their best overall album to date; it is in my all-time top five.

But "Jacob's Ladder" the weakest song on there?  Booooooooo!  That is probably my favorite song on it, and is a borderline top five Rush song for me.

I'm not sure what it is about that song, but it just doesn't scream "oh my god amazing" like a lot of people say it does.  Still a good song and I can't imagine Permanent Waves without it.

Not the best, IMO (that goes to Moving Pictures) but great review and rating, TOX!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:17:01 PM »
Just read earlier today that this is in Portnoy's Top 10 Favorite albums. When I get the money I'm going to pick up 2112 and this album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
I remember a bootleg from that tour where Neil for his drum solo had a Phaser sound filter through his solo. I wish I still had it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC