Author Topic: Music You Used To Listen To Vs. Music You Listen To Today  (Read 1914 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Music You Used To Listen To Vs. Music You Listen To Today
« on: February 09, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »
I always think about this.

I used to listen to punk rock (Blink 182), and more mainstream rock bands.

Now, I do not listen to Blink 182, and I rarely listen to the radio. My music tastes have changed and widened over the years. Anything from Dream Theater, to Rage Against The Machine, or Boston.

I also think about what sparked this new, sudden taste.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Music You Used To Listen To Vs. Music You Listen To Today
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:12:57 AM »
Back in the day I used to listen to a lot of Nu metal (Limp Bizkit, Linking Park, Korn, etc) as well as some mainstream and classic rock bands. Then I moved to heavy and power metal, mostly power though. After that I started to get into the prog world and that's where I've been for the past 7, 8 years. Recently I've been trying to get more into post rock and some indie as well.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »
Back in the day I used to listen to a lot of Nu metal (Limp Bizkit, Linking Park, Korn, etc) as well as some mainstream and classic rock bands. Then I moved to heavy and power metal, mostly power though. After that I started to get into the prog world and that's where I've been for the past 7, 8 years. Recently I've been trying to get more into post rock and some indie as well.

This is basically me, except the "prog phase" only lasted a few years. Now I listen to a lot of pop, indie rock, and folk. My metal listening is pretty constrained to a few bands.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »
I used to listen to nu-metal.

Now I listen to heavy metal :metal
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »
I went through a pretty hardcore classic rock phase, then ALL PROG ALL THE TIME. Now I listen to all kinds of shit.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »
As a kid I listened to country, primarily Garth Brooks, Tim Mcgraw, Keith Urban, and Shania Twain.
Fast forward to middle school and I found out about Motley Crue, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, and Def Leppard.
Throughout highschool tastes became more and more extreme.  Now I listen to extreme metal, Lady Gaga, and other various things if I like it, along with classic rock and stuff like that.  My favorite genres are Doom, Death, Grind and Thrash, love it when they're mixed with other genres even more.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:41:17 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Whatever MTV used to play -- Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Metallica... -- Indie, latin music, electronic, Pop/Rock.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »
I guess I've gone through several phases, really.

*Phase 1 - Around when I was between the ages of 13-16, I listened to Metal. It started out with Linkin Park which was my first favorite band. Back then they were so badass, the rapping and the metal combined was something that I guess appealed to a lot of youngsters, and they were pretty big on my school in general. From that it continued with bands like System of a Down, Slipknot, Disturbed, other bands that could fit under the "neo/nu-metal" tag, bands that were metal but also had a couple of other elements to it, I suppose.
From the nu-metal bands that I had previously listened to a lot, I began to dive deeper into more classic stuff within the metal tree. Bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica became two of my big favorites, and they were bands I quickly bought a lot of stuff with, and started listening heavily to. I would also say that Helloween played a part, while they are part of the power metal-tree, I was more appealed to their slightly heavier side. "The Dark Ride" for example was my favorite album by them.
After that I slowly started getting into heavier music featuring growl/scream-ish vocals. It's interesting because I didn't really like that kind of vocals at first, but my friends really liked it, so it was popular back then to sort of follow and listen to the same stuff. I got adjusted to more harsh vocals after a while and really started enjoying it. Got into Melodic Death Metal with bands like In Flames and Soilwork, but also a lot of Metalcore with bands like Trivium and Killswitch Engage. What I enjoyed with these genres was that they were both heavy, but also had a melodic side to them.

*Phase 2 - At that time I was starting to get a bit tired of metal. There wasn't really anything wrong with it, but I felt like a lot of the bands I was listening to had their "sound" that they were sticking to, and I guess you could say that I wanted more variety in my music. Three big bands came to form my outlook on music and change my life in this phase, Opeth, Tool and Dream Theater. They were all heavy like music I had previously listened to, but they started to build something within me, an interest in hearing "odd" and unexpected things. While they were all heavy, they offered so much more then just heavy music, lots of dynamics and melodies that would forge themselves in my head. Dream Theater for me was sort of like the bridge from metal to other styles of music. While I don't listen to Dream Theater anything today, I can still appreciate their music and enjoy it, but it reminds me of a time in my life that I don't really like, and that is partly the reason why I don't like them as much today. Another reason is that I've gotten pretty tired of the whole long solos, fast solos and the so called "wankery". Tool and Opeth are two bands that with me in another way, two bands that I listen to a lot today, still.

*Phase 3 - After the bridge that Dream Theater, Opeth and Tool opened up, it was like having a key open up a door to a room full of treasures. I was able to look at music from a whole other view, and appreciate music that I could never have appreciated 3-4 years earlier. Bands like Porcupine Tree, Anathema and Radiohead paved the way for my music-taste, and from that it would branch out completely.
This is what I would call my current phase. Everything I have discovered in this phase is music I still listen to actively, compared to the music from the first two phases (except Opeth and Tool), which I don't listen to much. This phase includes pretty much everything I listen to now, so it's too much to namedrop in one post. ;)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »
the music I used to listen to is the music I listen to today.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 05:49:55 PM »
I just listen to music that I feel like listening to. I've always been that way.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
I used to listen to music

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:32:36 PM »
I first got into music as a youngster through video games. 

Then I heard some songs by Metallica, decided metal was the only legitimate form of music and that was it for an entire year.

Another year was similar, except prog. 

Now, I mainly listen to video game music. 

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:33:30 PM »
the music I used to listen to is the music I listen to today.
I just listen to music that I feel like listening to. I've always been that way.

^^^ This ^^^

I understand the phase thing though. But in general I'll always go back to things I've heavily listened to in the past while constantly exploring new stuff.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »
I think I'd probably enjoy what those folks are hammering out. 

Band name?

Links?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 10:50:49 PM »
so indie they don't have a name

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 10:52:52 PM »
Bands who were very favourites at different points:

First thrashed Metallica, Slipknot, Sabbath, Pantera.

Then Opeth, Dream Theater, LTE, SOAD, Coldplay, Jeff Buckley.

Then moved towards Dave Matthews Band, Bob Dylan, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Keith Jarrett, Sigur Ros.

At the moment, big bands are Grateful Dead, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Bob Dylan, Beirut, John Butler Trio, tons of others.

I still like the stuff I was right into in previous years, but normally not as much, and rarely listen to a lot of it. Most of the metal from my first phase wouldn't get many listens in the average year, if any, nor the prog stuff from my second.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »
I think I'd probably enjoy what those folks are hammering out. 

Band name?

Links?
Godspeed You! Douche Hipster

Offline Ruba

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 02:13:16 AM »
I first listened (in elementary school) mostly rock music. Some pop. Like Green Day, My Chemical Romance... Damn I don't remember  :lol. I also watched MTV back then.

Then when I was on the sixth grade, came Master of Puppets:  :metal :hefdaddy.

Now I like rock/metal and some pop. Music with good melodies. That's the point of music.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 04:49:59 AM »
Ok, originally, (ie. when I was two or three) my parents used to play Blondie in the car, usually to much excitement from me, indeed until I was about twelve, my mother used to let me choose the music on friday evenings, and I can remember it included the U2 album Pop.

Then, I got into Pink Floyd and Genesis, and listened to them almost exclusively until my stepfather got me into Camel and Steve Hackett. I find out about King Crimson, then Dream Theater, then I start listening to insane amounts of stuff covering prog, jazz, metal, blues, classical, Captain Beefheart (never worked out what that counts as), and also some chinese music... Well, quite a bit, but Pink Floyd, Genesis and pretty much everything I got into after still gets vast amounts of play, especially anything Steven Wilson related at the moment.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 10:42:43 AM »
I can't think of a band I listened to that I no longer listen to, though I will admit that my main focus sometimes switches around (sometimes I'm more into prog, sometimes more into straight up metal, or death metal, etc.) What has happened as I've grown older is I've tried out new things and have added more to my musical encyclopedia. I've broadened my tastes, so to speak.

I will admit there are bands that I once listened to a LOT that I don't get around to anymore (Smashing Pumpkins comes to mind) but that's more a function of listening to so much now than not liking them anymore.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »
I used to listen to almost solely metal.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 10:59:27 PM »
Preteen/Early teens - Pop/rap
HS teen years - SOAD, LP, POD, RHCP, modern radio metal/rock hits
After HS, before age of 20 - Started finding DT, Opeth, other bands radio doesn't really play (thanks Limewire :lol)
Early twenties - DT, Rush (sorta), Megadeth, exploration thanks to DTF--though it was kinda superficial so it sucked
Little bit later - Christian music, Thrice, Neal Morse, Frost*
A little later - Cloudkicker, Eisley
Nowadays - Really starting to branch out naturally, finding bands like TDH, as one example, Spotify and other programs are making it super easy to find music that I'll likely latch onto

Offline Mind Trail

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:53 PM »
Used to listen to Hip Hop and RnB. Was saved by Dream Theater.
"For thirty years where have I been..."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 09:54:44 PM »
lol

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »

Are you serious
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Mind Trail

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 10:08:09 PM »

Are you serious

Funny as it sounds, it's actually true. We all make mistakes.  :lol

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 11:04:49 PM »
Not all rap is bad, bro. Some of it is fucking phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDBJXZjmLro
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Mind Trail

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 03:08:17 PM »
Yes, some of it is cool, I will admit that.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 03:35:19 PM »
Rage Against The Machine :metal

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »
I went through a pretty hardcore classic rock phase, then ALL PROG ALL THE TIME. Now I listen to all kinds of shit.
this is me.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
My musical tastes haven't changed immensely (I'm 18). When I was in middle school, I went through a few phases; I listened to a lot of country one month, lot of pop rock the next, a lot of 80's metal the next, a lot of prog metal after that. My tastes are a lot more varied now, but lately I've been developing a taste for alt and post-rock.