Author Topic: Boston Dynamics Is At It Again  (Read 2897 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Boston Dynamics Is At It Again
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »
This time with a new bigger, better, and badder Big Dog robot. Many of you have seen the vids for their awesome, yet terrifying military robots that they have been working on with DARPA for many years. Now, they have one even bigger than the original Big Dog. I swear if I were on a battlefield or were in any wartime scenario and saw this thing coming toward me, I'd drop my shit and run away forever. No one would find me...ever again. Hell, if as a civilian I saw this coming I think I'd fall over dead. Can you imagine a dozen or more of these things headed your way across a field? And you KNOW they'll be arming the damn thing soon.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46315465/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/#.TzL6xsVSQr4

All kinds of badass awesome.  :metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Boston Dynamics Is At It Again
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:53:59 PM »
Awesome.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:42:54 PM »
That is truly horrifying. Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 4

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:39 AM »
If it were only capable of launching a multi-target nuclear strike.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 02:40:27 AM »
They're at it again: https://youtu.be/y3RIHnK0_NE
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 07:52:33 AM »
These are glorious!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 08:44:56 AM »

These vids are fake. Take a peek at the logo   

I saw them the other day as well and was freaked out until I realized they're fake.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 08:47:32 AM »

I saw them the other day as well and was freaked out until I realized they're fake.

:P

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 08:48:49 AM »

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »
 :rollin I was like "this can't be real, this is way too funny" also I couldn't imagine giving control of a gun to a robot with people standing so close while pushing it around.  It also looks like Pathfinder from Apex Legends.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 04:12:06 AM »
Corridor is an amazing yt channel, they also had another similar video in the past.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 06:14:09 AM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 12:21:13 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw&ab_channel=BostonDynamics

We're doomed!

That ostrich bot is stuff from nightmares.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 12:43:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw&ab_channel=BostonDynamics

We're doomed!

That ostrich bot is stuff from nightmares.
Eh, without the Carlton dance it's nothing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 06:28:26 PM »
That's a 2.0 feature.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 09:50:09 AM »
I know this is real.....but those things dancing and moving looks 'fake' to me. It looks computer generated. I guess it has to do with the precision of the programmed moves.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »
Boston Dynamics is in a building owned by one of our biggest customers so we are in there all the time.  You should see the non-disclosure forms you have to sign just to enter their building.  I felt like I was at a closing for a real-estate deal  :lol 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »
This is the first I've seen this. I don't know whether to laugh or run screaming for my life!  :omg:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 09:33:33 AM »
I know this is real.....but those things dancing and moving looks 'fake' to me. It looks computer generated. I guess it has to do with the precision of the programmed moves.
Yea that's what I think, it's so precise it looks unatural.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 03:22:33 AM »
From what I've been told those robots are using AI to move like humans.  They shot thousands of hours of human body and joint movement then fed that into an AI system in order to develop the mechanical features of these robots.  Balance was the biggest challenge. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 03:26:47 PM »
From what I've been told those robots are using AI to move like humans.  They shot thousands of hours of human body and joint movement then fed that into an AI system in order to develop the mechanical features of these robots.  Balance was the biggest challenge.

There's also a massive amount of simulation that goes into this. A super computer runs thousands of simulations consecutively where the object is basically told what falling over means, and the software makes adjustments every time it detects that it fell over... establishing a muscle memory if you will. The robots rapidly learn what doesn't equate to stable movement and eventually reach a combination of movements that doesn't result in a fall. It's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 03:38:45 PM by Chino »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 05:36:10 PM »

There's also a massive amount of simulation that goes into this. A super computer runs thousands of simulations consecutively where the object is basically told what falling over means, and the software makes adjustments every time it detects that it fell over... establishing a muscle memory if you will. The robots rapidly learn what doesn't equate to stable movement and eventually reach a combination of movements that doesn't result in a fall. It's pretty cool.

Basically doing what a baby's brain does.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 05:48:35 PM »

Pretty much. When we reach true AI, it's not going to be programmed with what we interpret to be intelligence. It's going to be a blank slate that basically learns at an inconceivable pace.it will organize and internet data in ways that our human brains can't keep up with in real time. A slate that will undergo more thoughts/trial and error in a day than some organisms do over thousands of years of evolution. It's wild, fascinating, and kind of scary to think about. I can't wait for that day, but I also dread it. There's no reason to think think these machines won't be fulfilling 95% of warehouse oriented jobs within the next two decades, furthering driving a wedge into the class divide that we are seeing worldwide.

I know this looks like a novelty right now, but we are on the cusp of legitimately being able to replace humans. Everyone always says that trades like plumbing and roofing will always need the dexterity of a human, but I honestly don't think that's the case. We are on the brink of a revolution. A revolution that can't be compared to any other moment in history. I know it sounds like science fiction, but we're within a century of computers being able to write code and fluently code themselves. It almost kind of makes me glad I was born when I was.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 06:02:23 AM »

Pretty much. When we reach true AI, it's not going to be programmed with what we interpret to be intelligence. It's going to be a blank slate that basically learns at an inconceivable pace.it will organize and internet data in ways that our human brains can't keep up with in real time. A slate that will undergo more thoughts/trial and error in a day than some organisms do over thousands of years of evolution. It's wild, fascinating, and kind of scary to think about. I can't wait for that day, but I also dread it. There's no reason to think think these machines won't be fulfilling 95% of warehouse oriented jobs within the next two decades, furthering driving a wedge into the class divide that we are seeing worldwide.

I know this looks like a novelty right now, but we are on the cusp of legitimately being able to replace humans. Everyone always says that trades like plumbing and roofing will always need the dexterity of a human, but I honestly don't think that's the case. We are on the brink of a revolution. A revolution that can't be compared to any other moment in history. I know it sounds like science fiction, but we're within a century of computers being able to write code and fluently code themselves. It almost kind of makes me glad I was born when I was.

EVERY FUCKING WORD OF THIS

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2021, 06:57:15 AM »
Given that machines have the capability of writing music now, I really not sure there is a limit as to what types of functions or occupations they can't replace.

Again, scary af.  Are we heading to Terminator type of future, or Star Trek?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 09:19:14 AM »
There is a book out that I have not read but I have listened to reviews of it. It's called The Future is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives (Exponential Technology Series). The discussion I heard was fascinating but in a nutshell, we are going to witness a transformation of technology we only thought was stuff of Sci-Fi because basically, the technology is here and has been here.

I plan on buying this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Future-Faster-Than-You-Think/dp/1982109661

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 12:48:17 PM »
"The Cloud" was the biggest sea change in I.T. since the introduction of the Intel x386 CPU, which brought us a little something called "multitasking"

Internet bandwidth made "The Cloud" a viable platform for all manner of data distribution and manipulation including client/server applications that were once restricted to LANs (internal office networks) only.  It gave rise to services like Office 365 and Netflix, not to mention all of the gaming possibilities it brought to fruition.

But Artificial Intelligence is a whole different animal because it has the potential to be abused in ways that could produce some pretty awful impacts on society.  I am NOT looking forward to the adjustment period because in another 10 years AI is going to replace most of your menial jobs like janitors, housekeepers at hotels and possibly even cooking.  Not only that, but the pentagon has been developing "digital warfare combatants" for the armies of the future, where humans will no longer be engaged in mortal combat directly with each other and will instead be in a supporting role for these robots who will fight our wars for us, semi-autonomously. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 02:12:47 PM »
"The Cloud" was the biggest sea change in I.T. since the introduction of the Intel x386 CPU, which brought us a little something called "multitasking"

Internet bandwidth made "The Cloud" a viable platform for all manner of data distribution and manipulation including client/server applications that were once restricted to LANs (internal office networks) only.  It gave rise to services like Office 365 and Netflix, not to mention all of the gaming possibilities it brought to fruition.

But Artificial Intelligence is a whole different animal because it has the potential to be abused in ways that could produce some pretty awful impacts on society.  I am NOT looking forward to the adjustment period because in another 10 years AI is going to replace most of your menial jobs like janitors, housekeepers at hotels and possibly even cooking.  Not only that, but the pentagon has been developing "digital warfare combatants" for the armies of the future, where humans will no longer be engaged in mortal combat directly with each other and will instead be in a supporting role for these robots who will fight our wars for us, semi-autonomously.

Just so long as it doesn't turn into fighting wars AGAINST us.

• DTF.org Member

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 10:09:29 AM »

Just so long as it doesn't turn into fighting wars AGAINST us.

No one thinks about that, do they.  The Chinese (and the Russians) are not stupid. They - at least the Chinese - have a different system for allocation of resources, and, for better or worse, a different moral foundation (which also means that even if they were stupider, there is little compunction about just taking what they can't do for themselves.)