Author Topic: The Smiths  (Read 692 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
The Smiths
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
Somehow I realized that they were this huge band from the 80's. Morrisey is a hell of a singer and frontman.

Since their discography is arguably limited, I got it all. When a band gets my curiosity I need to satisfy it completely. I need to read it, see it and listen to it all.

Is there anyone here who is a huge fan of this band and can point me to the right direction to which documentaries to watch about this band -which are  the essentials; live albums (if any) DVD, VHS, Betamax whatever... I think the tipping point to fuel my curiosity was a short article I read in listverse where they talked about how huge this band would have been hadn't the strikingly violent personalities of the members come in between (this reason has been beaten to death, but it did its job hooking me up  :lol ).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The Smiths
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
Wow, The Smiths, there's a blast from the past.  They were huge in high school with the kids on the other side of the parking lot from us stoner metalheads.  Can't help you with any info, but thanks for the flashback. :tup

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »
I'm a big fan of both The Smiths and Morrissey's solo work. My knowledge of what caused their breakup is really only basic information, though, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I'd recommend just lurking their wiki page and seeing where the sources lead to.

However, if you want a live album, check out Rank.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:24:12 PM by Ravenheart »

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH, HOW CAN YOU SAY

I GO ABOUT THINGS THE WRONG WAY

That's the only song of theirs I know but I love it, I know I'm lame cuz that's their biggest hit but whatever in this instance I'm that guy.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »
The Queen is Dead and their self-titled are both really nice.  :heart

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »
Thanks, Raven. I guess Rank is their only Live work :lol

Although the wiki suggestion seems the rational approach.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
I got into them some months ago, I like them a lot.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Curt

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:18:17 AM »
For information on everything Smiths and Morrissey check out: www.passionsjustlikemine.com.
and for unofficial bootlegs and stuff: www.smithstorrents.co.uk
The best documentry is The South Bank Show one they did in 1987 that aired after they split, you can find it on smithstorrents in the video section somewhere.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:39 AM »
For information on everything Smiths and Morrissey check out: www.passionsjustlikemine.com.
and for unofficial bootlegs and stuff: www.smithstorrents.co.uk
The best documentry is The South Bank Show one they did in 1987 that aired after they split, you can find it on smithstorrents in the video section somewhere.

I like you.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »
So...

I'm not sure about linking youtube videos in DTF (still reeling from sanctions from my days in the MP Forum), but youtube has a multi-part documentary on The Smiths from the BBC archives.  It's called Young Guns.

Also, if you could find it, a documentary called The Smiths-Under Review was on youtube for a while but got pulled.  Perhaps there's someone else out there that hosts it.

I hope you picked up the recent The Smiths-Complete box set.  It pretty much had everything they've officially released in one package.  I enjoyed the reproduction of the vinyl sleeves for the CD copy.  Too bad I don't have the big $$ to shell out for the vinyl version of the set.  :sad:

I wish I could go back and recapture the feeling of listening to their music for the first time all over again.

An interesting thing about The Smiths' fanbase nowadays: a lot more metalheads of the modern persuasion admit to liking the band, perhaps because the newer generation has openly embraced punk and post-punk as influences to the new breed of metal that's been coming out of the woodwork.  Some of the most vocal fans of the band lately seem to be in progressive black metal bands to be specific (Deafheaven and Tombs just to name a couple).

Offline Rick

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
The only thing more terrible than The Smith's music is Morrissey's personality.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »
I would have liked to get that box set, but I don't have the funds, and I'm not hardcore enough of a fan to attempt to do so.

Morrissey is a bit of an ass, but I can forget that when I listen to his music. Associating The Smiths' music with the adjective "terrible" amounts to levels of immeasurable fail, though. Like, so catastrophic that the polar ice caps are melting at a more alarming rate than ever now.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »
Johnny Marr's choice of chords and voicings on guitar coupled with Morrissey's multi-layered lyrics (on Ask or Paint A Vulgar Picture--rather ironic in the age of box sets by The Smiths and a pending re-release of Morissey's Viva Hate--to name just a couple) are the one-two combo punches that continue to make The Smiths relevant to the modern music landscape.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »
No, no, no, no.  You clearly don't like The Smith's. You DON'T even WANT to discuss about The Smiths. Don't post in this thread again.