Author Topic: pre dt gig rituals  (Read 2242 times)

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
pre dt gig rituals
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »
i am going to see dt on wednesday and on the run up i like to make up a playlist on my ipod of songs they will most likely be playing based on set lists from the tour and i was just wondering if anyone else had any thing they like to do on the run up to a gig?
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: pre dt gig rituals
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:22:20 AM »
I don't listen DT for a month or two so the music in the gig sounds even better because I will almost forget how good music they have created.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Millais

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:25:05 AM »
I don't listen DT for a month or two so the music in the gig sounds even better because I will almost forget how good music they have created.

I did this for seeing the Cat Empire a few months ago in London. I came out of Sheperds Bush having experienced the best 2 musical hours of my entire lift thus far. Definitely going to do this in future for other bands!  :)

Offline krands85

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »
A few beers ;D Also need to play most of the songs from the setlist for the friend I'm going with, as he's not familiar with them.

I sometimes check out the setlists of bands I'm going to see and listen to them in the order they're played live as well.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »
My pre-DT gig ritual always includes driving a minimum of 75 miles, to as far as 150, since they never played any closer than that for me.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
Listen to DT before the concert. Listen to something else on the way back.

But I want to try abstaining for a month before. That sounds like a cool idea.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Millais

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
But I want to try abstaining for a month before. That sounds like a cool idea.

2 weeks shall do it, a month is too hard to cope ;)

Offline Billybillz

• Sentimentality
  • It's just a change of seasons..
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 03:38:58 PM »
Usually its a good few beers in a nearby pub followed by a nice long que wait!! I find whatever the weather it boosts my anticipation to another level! I remember when they used to play hammersmith.. I used to arrive at the venue at around midday!!!!! And admire the red lettering on the front of the apollo.. then go off somewhere and have some lunch and then return at around 3pm and wait it out!! Amazing atmosphere in 2004 when the whole que was singing TSCO :)

Unfortunately on friday I am coming with a mate at a rather rushed pace so I will not be able to carry out these usual pleasantries.. But Im sure the gig will be amazing none the less.

I am quite astounded at how snobby I sound in this post... :/
The spirit carries on... Its just another change of seasons.. Isnt it?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »
This isn't just for Dream Theater, this is any band I see.  I don't listen to them from the moment I buy the tickets to til the concert.  Usually listen to the bad a lot after the concert.  I agree that pre-gaming by not listening to the band only makes the experiece sweeter.

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »
dont think i could live for that long without dt!!
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »
Well... last time I saw DT.... the entire hour and a half car ride was spent listening to Lady Gaga and HIM...

And then we listened to WDADU on the way back
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
I don't really have any pre-concert rituals. I may listen to them alot if it's a band I'm not super familiar with, or I may go through the opening acts if I'm interested in them. Otherwise I just kinda go along normally.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 02:39:36 PM »
I generally like to hang out and eat good pub food with lonestar and anyone else who will sit and listen to me yap about nothing in particular.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."