Author Topic: Federal Court rules Prop 8 Unconstitutional  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Scheavo

Re: Federal Court rules Prop 8 Unconstitutional
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
Having kids and being married have nothing to do with each other tax wise.  There are credits and deductions for children, and they dont rely on being married.  Those tax breaks are there for married and single parents.

Also, one could state that it can be more difficult for a single person than a married couple.  Housing costs per person go down when there are two people and two incomes.  Same with things like insurance and utilities.

Unless, ya know, it's two people and one income.

But since you bring up insurance, there's another issue where "being married" can bring some benefits. It allows you to get your partner on your same health insurance plan, which can bring savings and other benefits.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »
Wow, so much for not setting the cause back several steps.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Vivace

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 04:15:03 AM »
Louis C.K. seems to hint where the issue lies but misses the mark completely. It is a "social" issue that has had a few generations to fully encapsulate itself into the world and be accepted only because two people are in love and not how we got there in the first place. It's easy to dismiss the past by making excuses for the present, especially when the current generation isn't bothered to look into the past to understand the present. There is a reason why the traditional family is on the decline and single mothers or single parent families are on the rise. . Because it "is" a social development. A development that now sees the rise of homosexuality as some kind of a solution perhaps. But the solution comes without an understanding of why we need a solution, only as a "it's better because it is".
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
If Prop 8 supporters are concerned about "marriage" being defiled, why can't marriage just be a religious institution if people so choose, and have the government simply recognize "civil unions" for all?  Everyone gets treated the same and marriage is left untouched.  Win win.
That sounds like a great idea. :tup

I thought that's implied. The people bashing same sex marriage are trying to say it's religious custom, not Christian but everywhere. Now, what the gays want is Civil Union, the same benefits from the govt. Unless they want the fairytale wedding. But they should understand, it won't happen until the world accepts our differences to unite.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2012, 01:55:24 PM »
Because it "is" a social development. A development that now sees the rise of homosexuality as some kind of a solution perhaps.

I'm sorry, but that is such ludicrous statement :lol Did you not even stop yourself when writing this?!

Nobody, absolutely nobody sees homosexual marriage as a "solution" to the social trend of faltering marriages. Our point is simply and solely, if you (in plural) can't get your shit together with the regular marriages, then don't get on the high horse and deprive other people from it.
I'm sorry, Vivace, but your statement was mind-boggingly ludicrous.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Because it "is" a social development. A development that now sees the rise of homosexuality as some kind of a solution perhaps.

I'm sorry, but that is such ludicrous statement :lol Did you not even stop yourself when writing this?!

Nobody, absolutely nobody sees homosexual marriage as a "solution" to the social trend of faltering marriages. Our point is simply and solely, if you (in plural) can't get your shit together with the regular marriages, then don't get on the high horse and deprive other people from it.

rumborak

Uh, going to have to go with rumborak here.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »

rumborak

Uh, going to have to go with rumborak here.

Yup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2012, 07:56:29 PM »
I agree with everyone in this thread who thinks its ridiculous that gay people still can't get married everywhere in this country. 

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
I support the notion of removing "marriage" from the state and allow for civil unions.  Let the various faiths bicker among themselves about "marriage."  When they decide, then they go to get a civil union.