Author Topic: Chicago: Top Songs Thread  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Chicago: Top Songs Thread
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2013, 12:03:44 AM »
5 - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? - Chicago Transit Authority

This is the first song the band recorded for CTA.  It was the first real recording session any of them had done.  Here's how Parazaider describes the scene: "We tried to record it as a band, live, all of us in the studio at once. How the hell do you get seven guys playing it right the first time? I just remember standing in the middle of that room. I didn't want to look at anybody else for fear I'd throw them off and myself, too."

They eventually recorded it "correctly" (drums/rhythm section, horns, vocals, etc) and they created this gem.  Lamm's jazz piano solo is quite beautiful and just as the last note dies, the full, lush horn fanfare begins.  The main body of the song has a bit of a big band swing to it, and right off we get a short and sweet trumpet solo from Loughnane.  Lamm's vocals and lyrics have a slight political twinge to them, but mainly it seems to be about living in the moment and not worrying about schedules or having to be somewhere.  I've always loved the trombone tag at the very end.

4 - Dialogue (Parts I & II) - Chicago V

After a brief guitar intro, Lamm's "conversational piece" is initially vocally driven but with some really cool things going on underneath.  The instruments are kind of bubbling under the surface as they build to the climax at the end of Part I.  Part II is then driven by the instruments, namely Kath's rhythm/leads and a repeating horn riff.  Lamm's trademark optimism shines through in lyrics like "we can make it happen" and "we can change the world."  I doubt it, but could this possibly be the inspiration for the cut-off ending of "Pull Me Under"?  We can make it hap-

3 - Introduction - Chicago Transit Authority

Oh man, it's hard to think of a better opening to a song.  What a groove!  That horn ostinato goes through some minor changes as it wraps around Kath's vocals and the rhythm (listen to Cetera on bass!).  Throughout the song the listener is moved from jazz club to night club/lounge to concert hall as the different sides of the band are on full display.  The transition from Loughnane's trumpet solo to Kath's screaming rock solo is my favorite section.  The horns just melt away into the up tempo groove.  A musical tour de force for the band.

2 - Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon - Chicago (II)

This may be a slight cheat, but whatever.  This song suite just has it all.  It's a signature work for the band that spawned two top ten singles and answered any questions anyone could possibly have had about their ability to write complex yet cohesive music.  It was a very ambitious piece for this young band which pulls much more from classical settings than their normal purely jazz and rock leanings.  "Make Me Smile" and "Colour My World" are the jewels in this crown (another great Parazaider solo can be found in "Colour"), but my favorite section has got to be "To Be Free".  The horns are simply majestic as they play during this instrumental interlude.

1 - Beginnings - Chicago Transit Authority

Here we are at my favorite Chicago song.  And it may be more of a sentimental pick than a musical one.  It has a cool, laid back feel led by Kath's acoustic strumming and of course Lamm's smooth baritone vocals, before building into somewhat of a wold ending.  Pankow and Loughnane trade fantastic solos during the instrumental section.  It's such an optimistic song that leaves you with a great feeling (kind of reminds me of Anathema's "Everything" in that regard).  It always makes me think of my wife and how today is the first day of the rest of our lives together.  When a song give you those kind of feelings, I'd say it has earned its spot.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2013, 12:14:57 AM »
I was just over at Amazon on the Chicago page, thinking of what to bring in next.  There is SO much good stuff by this band, I don't know how I'm gonna manage it all!   :P

Between you, Orbert and the jam dude, these reviews are like delicious, savory feasts spread out for a starving person.  Thank you! 

Do any of yoy have reviews at Amazon?
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2013, 11:02:44 PM »
no problem.  Glad you enjoyed them.  It was cool to go through all those albums again.  I don't have any reviews on Amazon.

Here is how my top 50 broke out by album:

CTA - 7
(II) - 6
III - 3
V - 3
VI - 1
VII - 6
VIII - 1
X - 2
XI - 3
Hot Streets - 1
13 - 1
XIV - 1
16 - 4
17 - 9
18 - 2
19, Twenty 1, Night and Day, XXX, SoS, etc - 0
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2013, 11:11:14 PM »
studio album ranking would look something like this:

CTA
(II)
VII
V
III
XI
X
Night & Day - no song made the list, but it has some fairly enjoyable songs if you're into that kind of music (big band, swing)
VI
XIV
VIII
Hot Streets
the rest
Winger would be better!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »
Wow, there's not much more I can say about these Top 5 that I haven't already said, since four of them have already been covered in my discography, and the fifth one (Dialogue, Parts I & II) is coming up.

I think we're probably saturating the market with three Chicago threads, but with the Top Songs thread finishing out and the discography a kinduv one-time thing (until it's done anyway), we can eventually go back to the appreciation thread, recently resurrected.