Author Topic: Merzbow  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Ħ

Merzbow
« on: February 02, 2012, 07:47:38 PM »
So I just heard this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTRZdFqAOGA&feature=related

and thought it was all kinds of awesome. I headed over to the Merzbow discography page on Wikipedia and saw that he releases about 50 albums a year.  Where to start?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Merzbow
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »
Space Mix Traveling Band, Liquid City, and Anniloscillator. If you want a gigantic collection, I've heard good things about 13 Japanese Birds.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »
My ears heart.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:11 PM »
 :omg: That's about 15 hours of music right there!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
It's like, noise, but it's music at the same time. cool!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »
I like Merzbow! :hefdaddy

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:31:31 AM »
What about Venereology? Is that one good?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:09:46 AM »
Merzbow is pretty cool.
Though I admit I don't know his stuff as much as I want to.

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:47:17 AM »
What about Venereology? Is that one good?

Venereology is very good, it's considered one of his harshest albums. If you like that one try Flare Gun or Green Wheels.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
I'm glad this thread exists, as I was about to ask what's a good place to start with Merzbow. For some reason I just feel like getting into something noisy and wierd, and I'd heard Merzbow's stuff was a pretty good place to find that.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 02:57:55 PM »
I don't know what Merzbow is. But I keep seeing an album from him with a chicken on the album cover. And the cover looks A LOT like Jethro Tull's Aqualung. Is that album any good?  :rollin

That one.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
Chickens are awesome. I think I found which album it is, and because of how great chickens are as pets, I may have to get that one, as it's as good a reason as any when he's got an archive panic like that going on.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »
Didn't expect so many people to be cool with Merzbow here.

Anyways, I downloaded Metalvelodrome not long ago and it's by far his best release. 243 minutes of Merzbow at his best. Shame only like 700 copies were made.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »
I'm glad this thread exists, as I was about to ask what's a good place to start with Merzbow. For some reason I just feel like getting into something noisy and wierd, and I'd heard Merzbow's stuff was a pretty good place to find that.
I'd say 1930 is probably the best place to start. It's got a bit of variation in sound so it'll be a bit harder to get bored and it's also conventional Merzbow at the same time so it'll give you a good taste of his stuff.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 12:56:19 PM »
Oooh snazzy, I'll go grab that when my wages come through.