Author Topic: Explorer's Club - Fate Speaks (w/ JP at the guitar)  (Read 1498 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Explorer's Club - Fate Speaks (w/ JP at the guitar)
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »
I hadn't heard of this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZfR9vvff0E

Not a particularly stellar tune, but new to me, that's for sure.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

Re: Explorer's Club - Fate Speaks (w/ JP at the guitar)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:54:26 PM »
Old news...

:neverusethis:

Anyway, it's cool but not great indeed.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:05:18 PM »
Old news...

True dat. Fading Fast is a much better track from that album - the best, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdeHmlKHddM&feature=related
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dusk Till Dawn

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »
Man I bought that album when it came out. I think its a great record if you are into Trent Gardner.  He has got his own thing when it comes to prog.  Magellan is a pretty cool band.  Test of wills is a good record.  Any one remember Platypus?

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »
Stellar album IMO. There's also JLB singing on most of the tracks.

Any one remember Platypus?

Derek and JMX with Ty Tabor and Rod Morgenstein (then became The Jally Jem without Sherinian).
When Pus Come to Shove is a really enjoyable work.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 03:37:41 PM »
It's a nice record. There's way to many good musicians in that album so it falls under its own weight on some parts but other than that it's enjoyable.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 06:40:52 PM »
I liked it about a year ago when Space Invader sent it for my song roulette. Now I think it's pretty bad.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TL

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 10:16:50 PM »
There are some neat musical moments on that record, but the production is just embarrassingly terrible. The sound is flat and muffled, and there are a few extremely blatant cuts between takes in several of the songs (the takes themselves seeming to have different volumes and mixes).

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
Man I bought that album when it came out. I think its a great record if you are into Trent Gardner.  He has got his own thing when it comes to prog.  Magellan is a pretty cool band.  Test of wills is a good record.  Any one remember Platypus?

Magellan definately isn't for everyone.  Small doses are all I can handle.

Platypus is probably my least favorite DT side project.  The first one was only in rotation when I first got it, and Ice Cycles never got more than 10 spins before I was bored with it, and that was when I had about 200 CDs.  Now the only time I ever think about them is when someone mentiones it on here  :lol

There are some neat musical moments on that record, but the production is just embarrassingly terrible.

I agree wholeheartedly, but it hasn't kept me from tuning out the album.  I still get urges to spin it occasionally.  The second Explorers Club is just a damn wreck though.  40+ tracks for 40 some minutes of music is just insipid.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 11:09:17 PM »
Do you know how happy I was when I found out I could join tracks on iTunes? the first album I reripped like that was Raising The Mammoth. Screw that 40+ track crap.

Broad Decay is my favorite song by the band. The rest never really did much for me, but I bought both EC albums when I was really getting into DT and wanted everything they were involved with.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
It's really not a very good album, unfortunately. Anything Trent Gardner touches is typically ruined, in my opinion.