Author Topic: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.10.12 Mama Said  (Read 8714 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.03.12 Trapped Under Ice
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
Need to give it another listen in a bit... Which bugs me because I have been spinning RTL a lot as of late.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »
Spin harder bro :P
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2012, 12:04:37 AM »
This song is probably my least favorite off Ride the Lightning.  But Ride the Lightning is one of my favorite albums of all time, so...  Still an amazing song. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ruba

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2012, 01:12:26 AM »
Basic thrash song, doesn't really impress me, partly because of horrible RTL vocals.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2012, 01:44:16 AM »
One of my least favorites from Ride the Lightning, but it's still a solid tune. (the whole album is amazing)
I was happy when I saw the song in the tracklist for Guitar Hero 4.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2012, 05:36:43 AM »
One of my favorites off of RTL. One of the weaker songs, but still good. Another fun song to play.
8/10

• DT.net Member
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
Song for today: Harvester of Sorrow

One of my favorite intros in any Metallica song. Such a crushing riff and then that ominous clean tone arpeggio is pure evil. That "Language of the mad!" backup vocal in the chorus is so nicely enhanced by the sense of despair added by the distant-sounding echo. I have no problem with the way the solo sounds but I wish it left more of a lasting impression since it feels like its over as soon as it starts but at least Kirk's note selection is good. The harmonized section after it is very enjoyable in its simplicity as well. All in all, a very simple song for the era in which it was written but it doesn't seem to suffer from it at all which is an impressive accomplishment in a genre like thrash where shredding and speedy, complex rhythm riffs reign supreme.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.04.12 Harvester of Sorrow
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2012, 02:03:49 AM »
I approve of this song :tup

Makes me wanna head bang... so groovy that riff is... or at least to me
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2012, 04:01:11 AM »
Trapped Under Ice - fairly solid song. I normally don't get into their faster thrash tracks soooooo much (Battery, Damage Inc, Fight Fire with Fire, I'm looking at you), but there's something to this one that gets my interest a bit more. Not a brilliant Metallica song, but a perfectly good one.

Harvester of Sorrow - one of my favourite songs of theirs. I made a best of playlist a while back, and of twelve or thirteen songs, this made the cut. I love the plodding sound, the way the double-bass is used in the song, especially during the intro, it gives it quite a unique quality.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2012, 09:40:35 AM »
Love me some Harvester. A friend of mine recorded a cover of this with me on vocals. It was supposed to be on some Digital EP by his band, but they broke up.
Back on topic, 8/10

Offline Ruba

« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2012, 10:03:01 AM »
The weakest song on ...AJFA, which doesn't mean that it's bad. It's a nice guitar song, but goes too much round. A good chorus.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
I really love this song. It's the only song from the record that I would constantly get stuck in my head. Can't say if it's my favorite, but the whole album is a classic, so it's really hard to choose one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:50:51 AM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2012, 02:07:03 AM »
Song for today: The Outlaw Torn

This song, like every song from Load except for Until it Sleeps, disappointed me on first listen since that entire album felt like going on a horrifically bad blind date when I first got it. When I saw that it was 10 minutes long, I expected a traditional Metallica epic of some kind since One was the closest to it in track length of any of their songs that I knew of at the time.

In time I've grown to like it a lot so but at first I was quite let down by the fact that, yes, every track on the album was done in the new bluesy style and that there would be nothing to satiate my desire for new exciting Metallica that fit into my comfort zone.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.05.12 The Outlaw Torn
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »
Harvester: Great song, probably one of my favorites off of ...AJFA even if it is one of the most straightforward.

Outlaw: Honestly, this song bores the hell outta me. Just thoroughly meh in every single way.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »
My honest opinion of The Outlaw Torn:  :hefdaddy.

It's not about hyper fast riffs, it's about making a long song, which works for it's all length with mainly small moves. The emotion is just awesome. By those points, I feel this song similar to Queensr˙che's "Promised Land".

The third best Metallica song after Orion and The Thing That Should Not Be. The bass riff in verses, outro solo and the main riff are some of the best things they have ever made.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »
Always been a big fan of The Outlaw Torn, but I'd rather listen to the Load version than S&M, Lars' drumming is not as lazy in the album.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »
I've always enjoyed the main riff, but the song's way too long, and the ending is unsatisfying. I'd probably give it a 6.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »
The Outlaw Torn is the best song they did in the 90's decade.

Yes. Even topping all the Black Album songs. At first it bored the shit out of me, but it slowly started to grow on more and more. I just love it now.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »
S&M Outlaw is in my top 20 favorites.  Also, this is my favorite song of theirs from the past 20 years.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
If we allowed it to go back 21 years would you like Of wolfandwolfandwolf and Man better than it?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
:lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
Howling laughter amirite? :neverusethis:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »
Cannot say enough good things about Outlaw.....I think the S&M version is 50x better, the orchestra just adds so much color to it!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
My favourite Metallica song. Only about two or three of their songs come close to it.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
"Harvester of Sorrow" -  great song off my favorite Metallica album by far.

"Outlaw Torn" - a good song and likely my favorite from that era of Metallica.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »
I think the S&M version is 50x better, the orchestra just adds so much color to it!
This TBH. I thought TOW was great but my status of Best Metallica Song of the 90s was given because of the S&M version. One of the songs in that concert when the Symphonic orchestra gets it right and makes it better.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2012, 10:16:12 PM »
If we allowed it to go back 21 years would you like Of wolfandwolfandwolf and Man better than it?

:lol Yes.  Absolutely.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »
"Outlaw" is one of a handful of masterful songs from late '90s Metallica, imo – but the full "unencumbered by manufacturing restrictions" version or the S&M one, not the lame-ass fadeout version on Load.

great atmosphere and pacing, awesome focus on a great bassline, and an amazing ending. about the only gripe i have is a fairly minor boredom with the chorus, which could have used some more words or something to bring down the repetition, but i can sit through it quite fine.

ultimately a better closer than "Fixxxer" i think, but i also love that song to death (controversial!).

• DT.net Member
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2012, 12:00:49 AM »
Song for today: St. Anger

To be brutally honest, I've only heard this song maybe 20-30 times in my life and as of this post I've only heard the other tracks on SA once or twice each so I'll try my best to do some homework on them despite my current opinions of them so I won't be bullshitting when we cover them.

This song was always a clunker for me because of the jarring shift into a mellow verse that just really doesn't seem to fit the song. The pre-chorus is basically ruined for me too by the "Ya flush it out, ya flush it out!" part. There are some fun uptempo tries at rekindling the thrash flame of yesteryear but those really feel cheapened by how drenched they are with "sign of the times" things like playing fast palm-muted 0-2-3 (fretwise) riffs in drop-C since System of a Down, Mudvayne, Godsmack, and Disturbed were doing that so much at the time so it more or less sounded like them trying to emulate bands that grew up listening to them yet were miles behind in the guitar aspect (Daron Malakian aside since he's good at times.)

I can see myself liking this more in the future as it grows on me but feel I'll also get pretty bored with it once I'm fully familiar with it and then listen to it virtually never. Time will tell and I probably won't lose much sleep over it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:45:19 AM by black_floyd »

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2012, 12:02:30 AM »
St. Wanker.

That song is definitely not a favorite of me.  When I first got the album, I was well aware of it's heinous reputation among Metallica fans, as well as metal heads, fans of rock, Droogies, musicians, composers, music teachers, and basically everyone who isn't Metallica.  However, I stepped in with an open mind and heart.  Popping in the disk and observing the artwork, I found myself worried, but hey, plenty of unfitting artworks have graced good albums:

Anyhow, I listened to Frantic, and I must say, it wasn't too bad. Not as good as the other opening songs, but it had it's moments.  Don't get me wrong, I found parts of it hokey, but overall, it was appealing enough and is a tune I still listen to.

Then, St. Anger came up.  As the rather workable intro blared, I read the lyrics.  They seemed pretty choppy and not too hot.  Still, The song could turn out good, right?

The "St. Anger round my neck..." part came up and I laughed my ass off. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:18:47 AM by MasterShakezula »

• DT.net Member
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.06.12 St. Anger
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2012, 12:05:19 AM »
Quote from: From the OP
PLEASE don't just come in here and post only your rating for the songs. The point of this thread is to have some interesting discussion so at least try to type a sentence or two conveying your feelings/experiences regarding the songs since comments like "GREAT SONG! 10/10" or "I hate that song" really just clutter the thread and don't open the door for conversation.

Thanks a bunch!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2012, 12:52:16 AM »
I really like St Anger (the album) but the title track is fairly heinous.

There's the double-bass that feels like it's there for some other reason than to serve the song - to prove Lars can still play double bass? To give their first self-written metal single in a long time a bit of obligatory metuhhhl oomph? There's the tacky references to Damage Inc and Hit the Lights in the chorus, which again feel like they're there more for an ulterior motive, to try to pander to older Metallica fans. There's the SET IT FREEEEEEEEEEE, which they use to try to lift the song and intensify it but fail miserably.

Overall, it feels like this blatantly constructed attempt at writing a comeback metal single, and it falls flat on its face.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2012, 01:35:56 AM »
Only St.Anger song I've heard after 2003.

It is actually a good song, but not one of my favourites. Well, at least it's agressive, unlike some Load/ReLoad songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:44 AM »
I am not ashamed to say that I absolutely love St Anger, album and song.  I laughed when I listened to the album when it came out, but years later, for some reason I just fell in love with it.  Love this track.  The verse holds it back a little, as it's one of the many spots on the album where James' vocals are pretty weak and off key, but the aggression, melodies, and the whole vibe of the song I love.  The lyrics are immature, but really it fits the urgency and temper of the song.  I especially love the fuck it all part.  It's loud, immature, dirty, I love it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mechanix1911

« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2012, 03:32:28 AM »
There's the SET IT FREEEEEEEEEEE, which they use to try to lift the song and intensify it but fail miserably.

:rollin

The song does nothing for me. I don't feel anything while listening to it. And that "SET IT FREE" part is hilarious. The "flush it out" part in the chorus doesn't contribute anything to the song. It's just a huge MEH from me. I haven't listened to the album yet, and I don't plan to.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:43:15 AM by Mechanix1911 »