Author Topic: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.10.12 Mama Said  (Read 8715 times)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.10.12 Mama Said
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2012, 10:12:03 AM »
It's a good song, one that I enjoy whenever I listen to it, but that I never remember once it's over.

Pretty much the epitome of the Load/Reload experience.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »
I really like Mama Said. It's just pure emotion and evidence of Metallica (or in this case just James Hetfield) doing what he wants and not caring about what's popular or expected.

However the video is horrible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
I like Mama Said, but I think it could've been better. Make it more acoustic and less country-ish (I don't like that country guitar sound in the "Let my heart go" part), in my opinion. Still it's a good song.

But the video sucks. Whoever thought that was a good idea?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2012, 03:56:19 PM »
I like Mama Said, but I think it could've been better. Make it more acoustic and less country-ish (I don't like that country guitar sound in the "Let my heart go" part), in my opinion. Still it's a good song.

But the video sucks. Whoever thought that was a good idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMgSL85JBlU

better?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2012, 05:45:28 PM »
Worst song on the entire Metallica catalog.... and I mean it.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2012, 06:28:06 PM »
A bit of a bizarre genre experiment for Metallica, but it works, and really well. Regardless of whether they decided to give it country garb, the song at the core is very nice, and feels heartfelt and genuine. Would be amongst my favourites on Load.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »
I don't like that country guitar sound in the "Let my heart go" part

I'm not sure how familiar you are with guitar but they used what's called a "B-bender." It's a mechanism connected to the guitar's second highest-pitched string, the "B" string (second closest to the ground), and it can create a smooth, nearly instant, raise in pitch equivalent to two frets on the guitar's neck, and return to the original pitch nearly instantly as well. It's what gives many incest-core tracks that trademark twang and Metallica also used it on The Unforgiven II for this riff.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2012, 06:35:34 AM »

All Within My Hands will see you now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2012, 06:36:21 AM »
I love Mama Said. I think it's just as good - if not better than - Nothing Else Matters.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »
I'm not sure how familiar you are with guitar but they used what's called a "B-bender." It's a mechanism connected to the guitar's second highest-pitched string, the "B" string (second closest to the ground), and it can create a smooth, nearly instant, raise in pitch equivalent to two frets on the guitar's neck, and return to the original pitch nearly instantly as well.
I knew it had a name but I didn't know what it was, interesting! Thanks ;) In the Unforgiven II it's used well, but in this song... I don't know. Also
incest-core
:rollin :rollin :rollin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMgSL85JBlU

better?
Yes. That's what I'm talking about.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2012, 02:05:47 AM »
I'm not sure how familiar you are with guitar but they used what's called a "B-bender." It's a mechanism connected to the guitar's second highest-pitched string, the "B" string (second closest to the ground), and it can create a smooth, nearly instant, raise in pitch equivalent to two frets on the guitar's neck, and return to the original pitch nearly instantly as well.
I knew it had a name but I didn't know what it was, interesting! Thanks ;) In the Unforgiven II it's used well, but in this song... I don't know.

Oh, I wasn't saying that The Unforgiven II is any more or less country-ish but just providing another example of where you could hear it in action in order to identify and recognize its qualities in case you may have been curious :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Mladen

« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2012, 03:44:24 AM »
It's a nice song, but that's all. I can enjoy it when I'm in the right mood, but it's far from being one of my favorites.  :smiley:

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2012, 12:34:22 PM »
Soooo..... New song?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2012, 01:03:47 PM »
Coming up soon. Like probably in an hour. Had work the last few days and I wanna avoid any rush jobs where I don't sincerely think out my writeup.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2012, 02:49:03 PM »

All Within My Hands will see you now.
OK, maybe I'm being harsh not because of All Within my Hands (because for me the official song was released on an acoustic concert and it's awesome) but because of Invisible Kid..horrible horrible song...

Justice has been made: second worst Metallica song

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2012, 04:05:12 PM »
Poor Twisted Me would like to have a word with you.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »
I think we could get a 70% majority vote from DTF Metallica fans that our least favorite track of theirs could be found somewhere amongst whatever are our least favorite 17 out of the 27 songs from Load/ReLoad plus whatever isn't our favorite 2 songs from St. Anger (assuming you don't hate the entire album like me and many others.)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
I really like St. Anger, and I think even I might call Invisible Kid or All Within My Hands their worst songs. As an album, the best tracks are amazing, there's a few okay tracks, and the worst tracks are atrocious.

There is Fuel, though.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »
Yeah and my statement also indicated that almost 1 out of 3 people wouldn't fall within the criteria set forth with that whole 70% disclaimer thing. I don't find Fuel horrible as I consider it a bit more stomachable than at least half of Load/ReLoad but I hate it when people that know like three Metallica songs with 2 of them being Fuel and Enter Sandman, put that shit on the jukebox at a bar and think they've just rocked the bar's socks off.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »
I really like St. Anger, and I think even I might call Invisible Kid or All Within My Hands their worst songs. As an album, the best tracks are amazing, there's a few okay tracks, and the worst tracks are atrocious.

There is Fuel, though.

I really like My World, The Unnamed Feeling, Frantic, Shoot Me Again & Sweet Amber.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2012, 06:27:46 PM »
Poor Twisted Me would like to have a word with you.

i've avoided metallica for 5+ years now, but man, if i remember correct, poor twisted me (as well as ronnie) is the tits!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »
I'm just waiting until we get Invisible Kid to talk about the shit kind of things that makes the song the wors what it is.