Author Topic: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.10.12 Mama Said  (Read 8716 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.06.12 St. Anger
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2012, 03:47:56 AM »
Perhaps you should actually listen to the album in it's entirety, you might get a different appreciation of it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
Sometimes I feel like this song never gets respect.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2012, 03:55:18 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »
I've actually always liked this song.  It's a song that can't really stand up to being taken too seriously, because it does have its laughable moments for sure.  But for me, overall, it's just a really cool song, despite its weaker qualities. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2012, 08:22:53 AM »
Harvester of Sorrow - Superb track. One of my early favorite Metallica songs, it's one of the better on AJFA which says a lot seeing as it's my favorite Metallica album.

The Outlaw Torn - Great track as well, S&M version is really something.

St.Anger - Meh. Don't care for it.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2012, 08:30:48 AM »
I remember getting the St. Anger record, wanting so badly to like it and really kind of forcing listens upon myself.  Eventually some of the tracks clicked.

The title track was not one of them.  There is so much about this song that is unnecessary.  "Flush it out" comes to mind.  The chorus is pretty weak.  A lot of stop and go in the song, no real flow.

I want to like this song though, and that's the worst part.  There are moments where it almost redeems itself and then it sets them ablaze.  Much like the album.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »
St. Anger: *sigh* So much of this album is such a missed opportunity.  St. Anger (the album) could've been an interesting album, but all the songs are too fucking long and offer nothing interesting to justify the length of the songs.  "St. Anger" basically epitomizes the problems with the entire album: weak vocals from James, repeated lyrics that are, at best, not completely terrible, shit drums, a single, semi-interesting guitar riff and all of it is repeated for 7 minutes.

St. Anger is not the worst song on the album.  When listened to the entire album, it's fairly innocuous compared to other tracks, but compared to other Metallica songs, it sucks.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2012, 08:15:20 PM »
Horrible song. 0/10
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
Quote from: The OP
PLEASE don't just come in here and post only your rating for the songs. The point of this thread is to have some interesting discussion so at least try to type a sentence or two conveying your feelings/experiences regarding the songs since comments like "GREAT SONG! 10/10" or "I hate that song" really just clutter the thread and don't open the door for conversation.

Thanks a bunch!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2012, 10:25:42 PM »
I think the title track is one of the better songs on the album. I know that's not saying much, but I think the song has a lot of potential. The main heavy riff is a little simple and bonehead, but it's ok. The verse riff is interesting, especially the way the drums syncopate it slightly. And I think the vocal melodies are really nice.
If they hacked the song down to a justifiable length, actually wrote more than two lines of lyrics, and threw in a guitar solo, I think it could be a great track. As it stands, I find it's a decent track that I really have to be in the mood for (which admittedly is just about never for that album).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2012, 10:40:29 PM »
St Anger the song=St. Anger the album.

A minute and a half of an idea repeated until it's seven minutes long. First time I heard it on the radio I said "They have to be joking." Then I heard a couple of more songs and realized that they weren't.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

• DT.net Member
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.07.12 That Was Just Your Life
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2012, 02:45:45 AM »
Song for today: That Was Just Your Life

With this being the opener for Death Magnetic, I was extremely eager to hear it since word on the streets was that DM would be a return to the thrash style of the 80s. I woke up on the Friday morning it came out (still feels weird saying that since most albums come out on Tuesday in US and A) around 9:00 am which was painfully uncomfortable for the schedule I was on at the time but I HAD to be the first customer at Circuit City in case there was a run on it by local Metallica fans. It was rainy and I had a garbage bag over my recently busted out driver's side window which was black so I had to slow down to a human's casual walking speed when making turns so I could simultaneously peer out from under the bag and get a face full of rain.

I made it there 5 minutes before opening and was pleased that I could immediately profile the soccer mom, grandma, and Fubu shirt-wearing weed dealer archetype waiting outside as all being non-Metallica fans so I knew I'd have no trouble getting a copy. Went home with it and popped it into my disk drive which felt weird and sterile since I'd always listened to new Metallica albums on a stereo but mine wasn't set up so I took what I could get.

First I hear a heartbeat sample and think "Ugh. This is somewhat gimmicky and drawn out, can we just start with real music like we have for every other album opener?" Creepy riff starts off the music and it feels cheap and as if Metallica's ripping off their former selves. Once the first heavy riff comes in I start liking it a little. Fast riff comes in and by the time we get to the first verse I'm finally digging it. The verse/prechorus transition is pretty cool too and the chorus seals the deal nicely for the whole repeating part of the song's structure. After the second chorus we get a cool harmonized interlude that has a fresh vibe compared to anything previously heard by them coupled with the pleasant familiarity of how many times they've done the harmonized interlude thing before/after a solo. The interlude section after the solo just keeps the awesome coming and finally we have James' vocals sending us off fondly with the final chorus.

Front-to-back this song hits the ground running from the time the first fast part comes in and never looks back. Very much a fine return to form and relieving as hell since the Loads and SA had me grieving the death of real Metallica for 12 years as it obviously did for millions of other fans as well.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2012, 03:04:58 AM »
TBH, this and The Judas Kiss are tied at my favorite DM track......the pre-chorus leading into the chorus is sooooo badass!!!!  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2012, 04:12:37 AM »
Best song on Death Magnetic.
While I think the album itself is very mediocre, this song is actually quite decent.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2012, 02:46:12 PM »
Great opener, for the album and for concerts.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
The first song I ever heard from them. One of my favorites. Also the first song I ever learned on guitar. The main riff is fun as hell to play.
9/10

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »
Just curious: how old are you?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »
Probably the best song on the album. Suffers from the same stuffy, stale, desperate "look! We can still write thrash!" vibe as the whole album, but it works better than most tracks, possibly all tracks.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
St. Anger: I don't like this song at all. It's just too samey, it repeats and repeats the same riffs and verses and choruses over and over and over for like what, 5 or 7 minutes? Since when did Metallica repeat the same verses like three times in a song? Lyrics are really bad: "I FEEL MY WORLD SHAKE, LIKE AN EARTHQUAKE" take that out of the song and it sounds like a dance or pop song lyric. The guitar tone is awful, specially in the "Set my anger free" part. Too monotonous, and the YOU PLUSH IT OUT, YOU PLUSH IT OUT parts just make the song suck even more. Thanks, I'll pass.

TWJYL: That's better. Has a good vibe, it's moving, I like it a lot and I remember it being better when they played it live here. Great starter for DM. It's no Battery, Hit the Lights, Blackened or FFWF, but it's a great way to kickstart the album.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 09:40:10 PM by Metro »

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »
...Since when did Metallica repeat the same verses like three times in a song?

l, o, l (?)

maybe im stoned and/or-simply miremembering.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2012, 10:15:52 PM »
...Since when did Metallica repeat the same verses like three times in a song?

l, o, l (?)

maybe im stoned and/or-simply miremembering.

Could be the former :P :angel:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2012, 11:20:28 PM »
That Was Just Your Life.

Hmm.

"About fucking time."

That's what I thought the first time I heard this song. Death Magnetic is nowhere near perfect-you can play "spot the album we were thinking of when we wrote THIS ONE" for a lot of it, the production is definitely lacking, Suicide and Redemption is the least of their instrumentals, Lars redefines the notion of "weak link" on occasion-but the first time I heard That Was Just Your Life, I thought that it was about fucking time Metallica remembered what they had used to be. Song simply kicks ass.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2012, 11:28:24 PM »
touche, blackunderscorefloyd, touche.  :hat

• DT.net Member
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2012, 12:28:41 AM »
You're correct that the underscore isn't silent, but I actually pronounce it "black recessed hyphen floyd"  ;)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »
Good, strong opener, and makes an excellent 1-2 punch when paired with End of the Line. No complaints.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »
Update!! Please read this:

Alrighty, we've now completed one whole rotation of this thing so each of Metallica's 9 albums have had exactly one track featured in this thread. While I like having that kind of balance, I realized that their least popular albums by DTF consensus (Load, Reload, and St. Anger) all have the highest track counts (14, 13, and 11 respectively) except for the black album which has 12. I figure a good way to avoid having the end of this thing being nearly two weeks of nothing but tracks from the three least-popular albums with 2 tracks from the black album also in the mix, would be to take our "medicine" early so to speak and utilize a schedule that will leave all albums with only 7 tracks left to discuss since every album still has at least that many left. The album-wise distribution for this proposal would be as follows:

Kill 'em All                   2
Ride the Lightning         0
Master of Puppets         0
...And Justice For All      1
The Black Album           4
Load                            6
ReLoad                        5
St. Anger                     3
Death Magnetic            2

Let me know what y'all think of this proposal and I'll have the track for today up ASAP so we can still discuss it for at least a little while before our keyboards turn into pumpkins at midnight when the time to discuss a new track occurs.

Thanks,

hemorrh_floyd

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: NEW UPDATE. PLEASE READ REAL SOON!!!
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »
I'm okay with this, it might actually be an opportunity for usto talk about the Tallica songs that don't get much attention. I'm fine with this!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: NEW UPDATE. PLEASE READ REAL SOON!!!
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2012, 11:05:22 PM »
Yep, sounds sokay to me.

• DT.net Member
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.10.12 Mama Said
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2012, 12:35:29 AM »
Song for today: Mama Said

Fucking hated it the first time I heard it. I was already about an hour into one of the most apallingly bad albums I'd ever listened to (in terms of initial reaction) back when I first listened to Load in '96 and to hear Metallica going country *GASP* was about the final nail in the coffin. Over time I softened to where now I love it. James' vocals are nothing short of beautiful in it (lol calling another man beautiful in any way.) If more country was this good at conveying somberness without getting clichéd and unpalatably rednecky, I'd probably be able to listen to it.

Here's a link for the video that a good bit of you may have never seen considering I don't think MTV ever played it (could be wrong about this though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP8nsthJ3GU

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2012, 12:39:53 AM »
I think it's a good song. It's fun to play on guitar, if anything.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2012, 12:50:32 AM »
That goes for virtually their entire first 4 albums but, yes, the simplistic 3-chordish vibe of this one is endearing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2012, 01:49:10 AM »
Mama Said is one of my favorites on Load. I really like it, and it saddens me to see so many people talk crap about it.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2012, 02:10:51 AM »
A good song, but nothing special. Maybe the chorus is too poppy. The sad vibe is good, and the "Never I asked you"-part is great.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2012, 04:01:46 AM »
I've only heard it a few times, but each time my response has never changed: "whatever."