Author Topic: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.10.12 Mama Said  (Read 8718 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Metallica song of the day thread: 02.10.12 Mama Said
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:30:55 PM »
List of corresponding songs and dates they were discussed:

Click on a song to go to the start of its discussion

01.30.12 Disposable Heroes
01.31.12 My Friend of Misery
02.01.12 Metal Militia
02.02.12 The Memory Remains
02.03.12 Trapped Under Ice
02.04.12 Harvester of Sorrow
02.05.12 The Outlaw Torn
02.06.12 St. Anger
02.07.12 That Was Just Your Life
02.10.12 Mama Said

PLEASE don't just come in here and post only your rating for the songs. The point of this thread is to have some interesting discussion so at least try to type a sentence or two conveying your feelings/experiences regarding the songs since comments like "GREAT SONG! 10/10" or "I hate that song" really just clutter the thread and don't open the door for conversation.

Thanks a bunch!

Update!! Please read this:

Alrighty, we've now completed one whole rotation of this thing so each of Metallica's 9 albums have had exactly one track featured in this thread. While I like having that kind of balance, I realized that their least popular albums by DTF consensus (Load, Reload, and St. Anger) all have the highest track counts (14, 13, and 11 respectively) except for the black album which has 12. I figure a good way to avoid having the end of this thing being nearly two weeks of nothing but tracks from the three least-popular albums with 2 tracks from the black album also in the mix, would be to take our "medicine" early so to speak and utilize a schedule that will leave all albums with only 7 tracks left to discuss since every album still has at least that many left. The album-wise distribution for this proposal would be as follows:

Kill 'em All                   2
Ride the Lightning         0
Master of Puppets         0
...And Justice For All      1
The Black Album           4
Load                            6
ReLoad                        5
St. Anger                     3
Death Magnetic            2

Let me know what y'all think of this proposal and I'll have the track for today up ASAP so we can still discuss it for at least a little while before our keyboards turn into pumpkins at midnight when the time to discuss a new track occurs.

Thanks,

hemorrh_floyd
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:37:02 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Great song, yes.  One of my favorites from MOP and by Metallica.

Online fadetoblackdude7

Always been a powerful one.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
BACK TO THE FRONT!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »
Awesome song. That is all.

Offline Mladen

Brilliant song. Took me a while to get into it, but now it's probably one of my very favorites. ''I was born for dying!''  :metal

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Definitely one of my favs off MOP and like Kev, likely one of my favs from Metallica! :metal

"Back to the front
you will do what I say, when I say
Back to the front
you will die when I say, you must die
Back to the front
you coward
you servant
you blind man

Why, Am I dying?
Kill, have no fear
Lie, live off lying
Hell, Hell is here

I was born for dying!"

:metal

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Easily one of my top 5 Metallica songs. I love everything aboot this song. It's also extremely fun to play on guitar.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Very solid song, but the third verse and chorus is completely unnecessary (much like a lot of their longer songs).
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Best song on Puppets and easily one of their best songs of all time.   :metal

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Awesome song. No where near the best on Puppets though. I look forward to this thread.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Good song, one of the worst least good on MoP though.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
It gets lot in the shuffle with so many other great songs also being on MoP, but it's a killer tune. Love the bridge riff that kicks in at like 4:05
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Great song, but I don't like the chorus.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
BACK TO THE FRONT
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Awesome song, one of my favorites by Metallica.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
I've always thought this song is a bit underrated, maybe because MoP has so many good songs, but always been one of my favorite songs from Metallica.

Love the opening riff!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Second to least favorite track MoP. Yet still an amazing song for sure.
I'm done bitching about branching out the main thread btw but for the record it fucks with my attention span heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
The "WHY" am I dying? part is amazing. Seeing it live was a huge plus for me, for it made me really appreciate the song. Amazing stuff.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

• DT.net Member
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: 01.31.12 My Friend of Misery
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »
Alrighty meatheads, today we'll be discussing:

My Friend of Misery

This is definitely Jason's signature track. Beautiful bass intro that I love so much that I've used it as an intro to bass when teaching a few different friends of mine how to play. The gloomy vibe is set very early on and is built up nicely all the way until the lyrics kick in with the more uptempo feel. The chorus took me a little while to get into but I now see it as a slight reprieve from the depressing atmosphere that enhances the rainy day feel of when the main theme kicks back in. The interlude section is about as good as it gets when it comes to Metallica's dynamics with nice volume swells giving way to a Thin Lizzy-esque extended harmony section before Kirk kicks it into full gear with a tasty wah-pedal-rich solo (remember when he had restraint lol.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
DAT BASS INTRO :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 12:24:34 PM »
One-Two punch on TBA - The God That Failed/My Friend Of Misery

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »
I could get lost in this song for days without complaining.   :metal
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 12:32:53 PM »
One-Two punch on TBA - The God That Failed/My Friend Of Misery

This.  I was so excited when I learned to play this song on the bass  :metal
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »
Not too big on this song tbh. I like the bass intro but overall it's an "eh" song for me.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 02:25:54 PM »
Great song! TGtF and this are probably my favorite "one-two punch" on the whole album.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »
I dunno how common of knowledge this is but when Newsted brought that bass intro to the band he originally hoped it to be the Black Album's instrumental. I wonder how that would have turned out.

All in all, a great tune, one of my favourites from the Black Album.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »
My friend of Misery is probably my second favorite song off of the black album, right behind Nothing else matters. Its just cool ass song.

Also, I just want to say that its really convenient that the song of the day is listed right in the thread title. :tup

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 04:52:06 PM »
It's been a LONG time since I've actually sat and listened to My Friend of Misery. It's a cool tune. I love the very gloomy vibe here and although the chorus throws it off a bit I kinda can dig it too.

My main issue is the Enter Sandman sounding riff coming out of the chorus (right after he says "My Friend of Misery!!!!". I loathe Enter Sandman.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 04:54:52 PM »
DAT BASS INTRO :metal

First thing I thought when I read the thread title.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »
This was always my favorite from The Black Album. My favorite part being the slow section right before the solo.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 05:40:17 PM »
Bass intro's pretty solid, but I literally can't remember anything else about the song.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »
I remember when someone asked James if he says "You just stood there creaming" in the song and James said "I've been waiting for someone to ask me that" :lol
I love My Friend of Misery. During the Wherever We May Roam tour and the Nowhere Else to Roam tours, that's 91 to 94; Newsted started off his bass solo with the intro of this song and then played some variations on it, one of which was simply playing the notes of the intro as chords and went with a faster tempo. And that part is what made me buy my first instrument which was a bass guitar and it was the first thing I learned on it, followed by bellz intro.
I loved that solo so much I think it's the only track I always listened to whenever I made a bootleg trade and got an audio bootleg from these tours, I had around 55 shows from this tour I think.

Edit: Here's the one I'm talking about from Live Shit San Diego.
This one is from the Poor Touring Me tour (Loads era) and instead of the chords section Jason just keeps playing the bass lines and Kirk comes in with the wah peddle part of the solo. Here it is from Cunning Stunts.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »
I dunno how common of knowledge this is but when Newsted brought that bass intro to the band he originally hoped it to be the Black Album's instrumental. I wonder how that would have turned out.

All in all, a great tune, one of my favourites from the Black Album.

I'd be extremely pissed if the decision to not go instrumental was one of Bob Cock's numerous manipulations.

My friend of Misery is probably my second favorite song off of the black album, right behind Nothing else matters. Its just cool ass song.

Also, I just want to say that its really convenient that the song of the day is listed right in the thread title. :tup

I gotta give props to KevShmev for the idea as he was doing that at the beginning of his Rush thread but assumably went vague so people wouldn't simply avoid it on days when it was featuring a song they didn't like. I'm somewhat okay with it too since it's gotten me to check out some stuff I wasn't familiar with by them.

• DT.net Member
Re: Metallica song of the day thread: 02.01.12 Metal Militia
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 10:38:55 PM »
Song for today: Metal Militia

This is a barely-ever-talked-about song for them on this forum but I figured I didn't wanna just run through all the classics early on in this thread and also didn't wanna lose the nice momentum this thread has built up in its first couple days by picking a lemon from the post black album era either (not calling the entirety of that stuff "lemons" but just meaning I'd rather pick an obscure one from a more favorable time period.)

I like this song but don't consider it great. It's basically what Kill 'em All was at its worst imo which is straight up fun early thrash before melody and complexity became themes that were regularly employed. James' vocals are great though; fierce, unrelenting and in my teens it could've inspired me to eat raw eggs and pick a fight with someone much bigger than me if I actually wasn't such a peace-loving chap. The solos definitely have that chaotic Mustaine flare to them with the funny out-of-place notes that he's used so much throughout his career that I can never tell whether he's going for off-kilter atonality or just too dumb to know how to pick the right notes for the key he's playing in.

All in all though, I'd guess that if it came up on shuffle on my media player 100 times I'd probably not skip it that many times so I certainly like it overall.