Author Topic: Heretic's Top 50 Albums v. The DTForums Are Raging Inside Me  (Read 15799 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Heretic's Top 50 Albums v. The DTForums Are Raging Inside Me
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »
Awesome to see FTM on the list, I'm not a fan of BTBAM personally.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:07:14 PM by ReaperKK »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2012, 08:44:54 AM »
I&W :heart
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2012, 11:13:38 AM »
Fables!  :metal :metal
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2012, 06:05:06 AM »
.....aaaaaaaaand here's #1. You'll have to read the entire write-up to understand why it is my #1 and why other albums I've discovered since haven't passed it.

1. Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil

And here we are. My entire life, I've always been into music. I've sung in competitions and related activites since I was very very young. However, I never really actually got into the music scene until around 2008.
My sister's boyfriend was into metal pretty hardcore at the time, and she would constantly play "Lost,"  a song from Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album over and over, and, as I had just gotten a new iPod, and was collecting music that I found I enjoyed, I immediately asked to get some songs and albums from this band, never having heard of them really before.

Luckily, one of the albums I recieved was Avenged Sevenfold's third release, City of Evil, an album that had seen them transition themselves from a metalcore act to a hard rock/heavy metal act, one that was almost progressive at times. Of course, I didn't really know this then, as I was just getting into the rock and metal scene, but after listening to this album, my entire perspective on music was altered completely. Previously, I had been into lots of classic rock and pop, stuff my parents listened to. I didn't actively search the internet for new music. I didn't go out to record stores and buy new releases. I was a casual listener, someone who didn't really have that much interest in music other than here and now, and in the car. City of Evil changed this.

The album threw me off balance. The pounding riffs, the insane solos, the amazing vocals, and the overall impact of all of the songs made me look at music in a new light. I couldn't exactly put my finger on why I loved the album so much, but in light of my enjoyment, I played it, over and over, until I knew every song and every nuance within them. 

Beginning with Beast and the Harlot, City of Evil takes you for a powerful ride, from the soloing and incredibly catchy chorus of Beast and the Harlot, to the thundering Burn it Down, followed by the critical and message-laden Blinded in Chains. Then, Bat Country, arguably one of the band's most popular songs comes along, followed then by Trashed and Scattered, another metal-heavy song. The album then takes a different route, one for the better, and one that I always was wowed at. While the first half of the album is strictly heavy metal, once Seize the Day hits, a dozen styles are showcased. Seize the Day perfectly showcases what a ballad should be, with duel solos, insane vocals (and layered vocals near the end that are just fantastic,) and an overall theme that we can all relate to. Then, Sidewinder comes along. Sidewinder, all in all, is my favorite song ever written by the band. I feel as if it perfectly showcases everything the band is in one song. The song is an up and down ride the whole time, starting with a airy breeze and bursting into heavy riffage that carries the song with powerful vocals, crushing choruses, and a bridge that is absolutely glorious. The song then breaks into an acoustic section, with two more verses that are wonderfully executed, and then followed by an amazing acoustic guitar solo, which makes the song. Strength of the World, a very prog metal influenced song, is up next, and is one of the most emotional songs I've heard. The song tells a story, and the story is backed by excellent instrumentation, vocals, and emotion. The Wicked End, the next song, is another progressive-like song, with gregorian choirs and several biblical references. Betrayed is a song dedicated to Dimebag, and is justly so. While perhaps not one of my favorites of the album, it's still a catchy piece, and a good one at that. The album ends, however, on a perfect note, with M.I.A., another progressive influenced song, with a militarial message and a strong one at that. The vocals, the solos, everything in this song just works, and it ends the album on a very, very strong note.

After City of Evil, I began to listen to many, many more albums. I slowly transitioned my way from hard rock to metal to progressive metal, and then from there I branched out into many, many genres-- many of which you've seen here on this list previously.

While I cannot deny that Avenged Sevenfold is not the most innovative band to ever exist, nor are they likely to appear on many top lists here, the band, and City of Evil, introduced me to music, to the constant desire to find new albums, to the love of instrumentation that is executed well, to everything music has to offer. The opinions of others, the people out there who constantly insult and attack the band for changing their image (or for their original image at all)-- those things don't change my view of the band and their work. The album changed my life, my perspective, and, as an artist, it showed me that art isn't just drawings and paintings. It's expression, and music fits that bill perfectly. City of Evil is my top album of all time, and I don't know if that will ever change; it surely might.  But I do know it means the world to me.

Favorite songs: Sidewinder

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2012, 06:09:40 AM »
And here's the list of all of the albums:

50. Kvelertak - Kvelertak
49. The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum
48. Counting Crows - August and Everything After
47. God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright
46. Sigur Ros - Meš suš ķ eyrum viš spilum endalaust
45. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
44. Maybeshewill - I Was Here For a Moment, Then I Was Gone
43. Protest the Hero - Fortress
42. Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
41. Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow
40. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver
39. Sleepmakeswaves - ...and so we destroyed everything
38. The Dear Hunter - Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading
37. Scale the Summit - The Collective
36. Haken - Visions
35. Periphery - Periphery
34. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
33. Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
32. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
31. 30 Seconds to Mars - This is War
30. August Burns Red - Leveler
29. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
28. Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
27. Opeth - Blackwater Park
26. Cloudkicker - Beacons
25. Alter Bridge - ABIII
24. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt
23. Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
22. Third Eye Blind - A Collection
21. Thrice - Major/Minor
20. Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
19. Opeth - Still Life
18. Trivium - Shogun
17. Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of the Silent Earth: 3
16. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
15. Fair to Midland - Arrows & Anchors
14. Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
13. Mastodon - The Hunter
12. Thrice - Vheissu
11. Haste the Day - Attack of the Wolf King
10. Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
9.  Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
8. Avenged Sevenfold - Waking the Fallen
7. August Burns Red - Constellations
6. Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
5. Alter Bridge - One Day Remains
4. Dream Theater - Images and Words
3. Fair to Midland - Fables from a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times is True
2. Between the Buried and Me - Colors
1. Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil

That just about wraps it up, folks. Sorry for the long, tedious times in between posts, but I've been incredibly busy with lots of real life stuff. Hopefully you enjoyed reading the write ups and I thank everyone for taking the time to post in this thread, I really appreciate it. I don't expect this list to look anything like this in a few years, but it will be great looking at it in the future.

Special thanks to Zantera who posted for every updated I posted, I believe. You're the best. You're all the best. :heart

Online Mladen

« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2012, 06:53:08 AM »
Interesting top 10. There are some albums in there that I'll definitely have to check out.  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2012, 06:59:43 AM »
A most interesting list surely. Thanks a lot! While I didn't post after every update I did follow this list and liked it. And that was a good writeup for your #1 and deserving to be there. Everything flows out of something, Good work :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2012, 07:04:26 AM »
Interesting pick, great list overall!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »
Great list - and good choice and write up for #1  :tup It's the definitive Avenged Sevenfold album and like you I think it will always be among my top albums (although not my #1). Lots of other great choices on there as well, especially Images And Words in the top 5.

I wondered how well it would be recieved when you switched from all the post rock, indie and prog in the beginning of the list and had a bunch of Avenged Sevenfold and stuff in the top few.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »
Good stuff man!  I've never gotten in to Avenged Sevenfold but you have a ton of great records on your list.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2012, 12:44:06 PM »
Great stuff Heretic, so many excellent albums on this list!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2012, 12:49:58 PM »
Nice 2-4.  I read your #1 since you obviously put time and thought into it.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
Also, I can say that Mumford & Sons is really worth a listen. Great band, great debut.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2012, 07:27:44 PM »
Really cool #1.

City of Evil was one of a few gateway albums for me, one that got me into a lot of other bands and albums, so I can totally understand why you'd rate it so high.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »
Thanks for all the positive responses everyone. Once again, sorry it took so long.

@The King in Crimson: that's awesome, glad to see there's someone else who looks at CoE in a similar way that I do. It really did propel me into many other genres, and for that, I'll always love it.

@WindMaster: I'm really hoping they'll release their new album this year, I cannot wait for new music by them.

@DTVT: Thanks, I appreciate it!

@ariich: I loved your top 50, and I'm glad you liked mine! We have a fairly similar taste, I'd say.

@Ryzee: Definitely check them out, they're a metal band with a ton of different influences. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, but just a lot of fun and good music, City of Evil and Waking the Fallen in particular.

@RuRo: Hey man, glad to see you finally posting in here! :P Haha, I knew you'd enjoy the top 10 a bit more than the rest of the list, but hey, there was Seventh Wonder and Alter Bridge and probably a few others you like before. I bet you never though I'd get into Porcupine Tree, huh?

@Zantera: Thanks again for all the positive response, you're definitely among the coolest people ever o/

@Elite: Thanks a ton, man! Your list is looking great thus far, too, and I'm glad you enjoyed the write ups. Some of them were very thoughtful, and some.. well, some were rushed, haha.

@Mladen: Definitely, and thanks!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2012, 09:09:30 PM »
Some exceptionally cool stuff on your list. Glad to see I wasn't the only one ranking The Hunter up quite high.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
was a cool list, heretic, and an interesting read.

exactly 20 of the albums can be  counted amongst my favorites, a couple others i've been meaning to check out, and a few others i'm NOW meaning to check out.  :tup

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »
was a cool list, heretic, and an interesting read.

exactly 20 of the albums can be  counted amongst my favorites, a couple others i've been meaning to check out, and a few others i'm NOW meaning to check out.  :tup

Thanks, man. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd be interested in knowing which 20 are among your favorites; that's a good amount!

Some exceptionally cool stuff on your list. Glad to see I wasn't the only one ranking The Hunter up quite high.

Thanks, yeah The Hunter is definitely my favorite Mastodon album.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
If I did a top 50 right now, most of the albums would be the same. We have almost exactly the same taste in music.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »
If I did a top 50 right now, most of the albums would be the same. We have almost exactly the same taste in music.

:metal I'd still be very interested in seeing your top 50, you should definitely sign up to do one!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
Where do I sign up? Might wait a year or so so I can build my collection, but I'm up for doing one now.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »

38. The Dear Hunter - Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading
19. Opeth - Still Life
18. Trivium - Shogun

all those albums have had the shit spun outta of em by me (miscounted, only 19).
-as much as i absolutely loved Arrows & Anchors, i havent been able to get into their FTM's debut despite a decent number of attempts.
-i have a feeling i'd be at my misquoted 20 albums if i ever got around to giving Haken a chance. acquired the album but havent gotten around to checking it out.
-i checked out haste the day a week ago when i was strapped for time and could only spin a few songs...i could see getting into them.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:32 PM »

19. Opeth - Still Life
18. Trivium - Shogun

all those albums have had the shit spun outta of em by me (miscounted, only 19).
-as much as i absolutely loved Arrows & Anchors, i havent been able to get into their FTM's debut despite a decent number of attempts.
-i have a feeling i'd be at my misquoted 20 albums if i ever got around to giving Haken a chance. acquired the album but havent gotten around to checking it out.
-i checked out haste the day a week ago when i was strapped for time and could only spin a few songs...i could see getting into them.

That's unfortunate, I love Fables a bit more than I do Arrows & Anchors, but I can see why people would prefer the latter. Haste the Day are really good, though their last album is definitely their magnum opus in my opinion. Very solid metalcore. Haken is fantastic yes, and based on those albums you quoted, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to dislike them. Listen to Visions ASAP! :biggrin:

And WindMaster you and WebRaider seriously need to get avatars, the W names throw me off now and then. :lol Looking forward to your top 50 in a year.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
Heretic, you have an amazing taste in music. Oh, and clear out your inbox!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »
Heretic, you have an amazing taste in music. Oh, and clear out your inbox!

Is it full? What the heck. Thanks dude, I'll clear 'er out right now.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »
Looking forward to your top 50 in a year.
:lol Yeah, it probably will take that long.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »
19. Opeth - Still Life 
10. Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Great albums.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges