Author Topic: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Ending Themes  (Read 63767 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Flick I: The Posting Poster
« Reply #350 on: February 29, 2012, 07:21:29 PM »
While Dead Reckoning is good, I'll have to agree that Apollo I is better. I just wouldn't put it that high.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #351 on: February 29, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
Threshold is like candy.  A sweet treat that seems great for a little, but then its gone.  Their best thing is their crisp sound, not their music.  I put them on when I want to hear that sound, which s certainly appealing, but I never leave with any real sense as to what I just heard.  Forgettable.

Live show is produced too well, it almost sounded too much like we were just hearing it right off the albums.  I remember leaving early thinking I could just put a cd in to get that experience.

Offline Mladen

Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. The Post That Should Not Be
« Reply #352 on: March 01, 2012, 01:40:53 AM »
Let's put it this way; would you rather be rocking out to The Book of Thel, or singing the chorus lines from The Angel and the Gambler for the 6 billionth time in the song?
I'd enjoy listening to The Clansman, Futureal, The Educated fool and Como estais amigos just as much. But still, great album at #19, my favorite Bruce's solo record.  :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #353 on: March 01, 2012, 07:13:33 AM »
Threshold is like candy.  A sweet treat that seems great for a little, but then its gone.  Their best thing is their crisp sound, not their music.  I put them on when I want to hear that sound, which s certainly appealing, but I never leave with any real sense as to what I just heard.  Forgettable.

Live show is produced too well, it almost sounded too much like we were just hearing it right off the albums.  I remember leaving early thinking I could just put a cd in to get that experience.

While I agree that they have a distinct sound and that it makes their entire catalog a little stale, the day I walk out of a concert because the sound is too good... well... let's say I've never come close to that happening.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #354 on: March 01, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »
...not because it was too good, I was just getting bored and had other I wanted to do.  That comment was what I was thinking when I left, not why I left.  It was a festival, ProgPower 2007, I probably went to eat or out to talk in the dealers room.  Threshold wasn't one of the main bands I was there for, and It's hard to sit through it all.  Plus if you don't spend any time out during shows you miss great chances to meet people, I got to chat with Nick van Dyk during a show I wasn't that interested in.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:29:13 AM by yorost »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #355 on: March 01, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »
Derailing the thread: yorost, are you a regular PPE visitor?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #356 on: March 01, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
...not because it was too good, I was just getting bored and had other I wanted to do.  That comment was what I was thinking when I left, not why I left.  It was a festival, ProgPower 2007, I probably went to eat or out to talk in the dealers room.  Threshold wasn't one of the main bands I was there for, and It's hard to sit through it all.  Plus if you don't spend any time out during shows you miss great chances to meet people, I got to chat with Nick van Dyk during a show I wasn't that interested in.

I assumed it was ProgPower, and that's cool. I didn't realize you weren't that interested in them to begin with.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #357 on: March 01, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »
I wasn't disinterested in them, I didn't want to miss them completely.  I tried to see at least a little of every show.  Redemption and After Forever were the two biggest draws for me, though, and Firewind and Raintime were the two best surprises.

Derailing the thread: yorost, are you a regular PPE visitor?
No, I've been to one of the US PorgPowers.  Now that my wife and I are starting to make more money I may start going every year.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #358 on: March 01, 2012, 10:27:39 AM »
I felt the need to pop in here and stick up for Good Apollo vol.1 since it was being dismissed by the prog metal faithful.  Fantastic album, one of my faves of all time and Coheed's second best album.  Glad to see it on your list Nick!  :tup

Haters gonna blah blah blah

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #359 on: March 01, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »
The two Iv's are my favourite Coheed albums.  I'm surprised by the negativity towards it, too.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »
Your honorable mention is infinately better than anything Coheed could possibly do.

Coheed is better than your favorite band.

Good Apollo I is an amazing piece of work.  You've got prog (but not in the traditional sense), pop rock, punk and emo, metal, fantastic emotional lyrics, and 4 fantastic musicians all in one disc.  Its also successful in that its one of the few albums that lasts for over an hour that I can enjoy without realizing how long it is.  I think IKS is better (just stronger songwriting in general, though GA1's lyrics are stronger) but this is a very very close second.  So yeah, one of the few albums on your list so far that I really truly love.   :tup

The two Iv's are my favourite Coheed albums.  I'm surprised by the negativity towards it, too.
Lots of big prog fans don't like them, especially here. 

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #361 on: March 01, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »
Your honorable mention is infinately better than anything Coheed could possibly do.

Coheed is better than your favorite band.

Good Apollo I is an amazing piece of work.  You've got prog (but not in the traditional sense), pop rock, punk and emo, metal, fantastic emotional lyrics, and 4 fantastic musicians all in one disc.  Its also successful in that its one of the few albums that lasts for over an hour that I can enjoy without realizing how long it is.  I think IKS is better (just stronger songwriting in general, though GA1's lyrics are stronger) but this is a very very close second.  So yeah, one of the few albums on your list so far that I really truly love.   :tup

Lots of big prog fans don't like them, especially here. 

Let's disect that for a moment.  Why do we think that is?  It boggles my mind.  And anybody who says it's the vocals that turns them off had better not be a fan of 70s Rush.  I watched all of Neverender again over the weekend and I think I've fallen in love all over again.  The songwriting, the vocal melodies, the lyrics, the musicianship (dat dual guitar interplay!  dose riffs!  dat tight rhythym section!  I'm glad Josh is back in the mix though...), all the sing-along moments-  this band is ridiculous.  I think they're becoming my favorite band at this point and I've been listening to them for years.  Why all the hate?  I just want to understand... :huh:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #362 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
I don't like their sound.  I thought Welcome Home was cool when I heard it playing Rock Band, checked them out and I found I don't like their sound.  I don't think they're rip-offs, I don't think they lack musical talent, and I'm not against multi-album story arcs (I like Rhapsody).  They just have a distinctive sound - and yes the singer is a huge part of it - that I don't like.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: March 01, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »
I never got into them either.  Nothing that I heard really stuck with me or really caught my attention.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #364 on: March 02, 2012, 06:58:30 AM »
This just gives me an opportunity to use one of my favorite pictures ever...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: March 02, 2012, 07:09:30 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: March 02, 2012, 09:25:03 AM »
17. Karmakanic - Who's the Boss in the Factory?

Between a music scene which constantly turns to illegal downloading, and a struggling world economy it is easy to see why a good number of bands are cutting down on their output over the past number of years. There are so many bands which had their last new release in 2006, 2005, 2004, or even earlier. The one place this seems not to be the place is Sweden. Hallmark bands of the country like Opeth, Evergrey, and Pain of Salvation remain as productive as ever, and some of the lesser known acts are even more ambitious. The Flower Kings, Beardfish, The Tangent, and what seems like an endless number of side-projects of the members within those and other Swedish eclectic prog bands keep cranking out albums at an impressive rate.

One such side project is Karmakanic, which is masterminded by The Flower Kings bassist Jonas Reingold. Along with a solid core of players the album features over twenty guest appearances, many of which are very minor, but all of which end up giving the album a little bit of extra spice that makes Who’s the Boss in the Factory stand out amongst its contemporaries. Although the album has some serious overtones, it seems to flow with life, much like the country which seemingly inspires its musicians. Upbeat and inspiring the album kicks off with what is its masterpiece, “Send a Message From the Heart”. The twenty minute song features a majority of the guests and documents very well the overall sound of the album. The main difference the album seems to have from many similar albums is that it tends to drop the somewhat drifty or overly atmospheric parts and replace them with more rockin’ and melodic sections.

Following that, “Let in Hollywood” shows itself to be the only partial let-down of the album. Not a bad song it just seems to be missing something; an incomplete thought. From there on the album amazes. The other two long songs on the album, “Who’s the Boss in the Factory?”, and “Two Blocks From the Edge” leave the listener with incredible melodies and sing-alongs and perfectly segue into the final two beautiful ending tracks of the album.

Between his dozen other commitments you can tell Jonas Reingold really put his time and heart into this album, and any fan of Swedish proggers The Flower Kings should go and buy this album immediately, and anyone looking to see what Swedish eclectic prog is all about would do themselves a favor by starting with this album.

Favorite tracks: Send a Message From the Heart, Who's the Boss in the Factory?, Two Blocks From the Edge

Honorable mention: Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Who's the Boss in the Forum?
« Reply #367 on: March 02, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »
I can not get enough of this album.  Jonas' tone is second to non and "Send a Message To The Heart" is a masterpiece.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: March 02, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »
Fantastic album and also a great honorable mention.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #369 on: March 02, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »
Listening to Send a Message from the Heart again, I am reminded that this song is one of the biggest teases ever.  The first six minutes is so awesome, and then it wanders into no-man's land seemingly for forever, before having a really nice ending.  Good song, but could have been soooo much better had it been a lot more cohesive.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #370 on: March 02, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »
For whatever reason, I've always liked the cover art of that album, even if it doesn't really fit the music that well (it fits the album title and song title well, just not the music).

I'll echo Kev's comment that as good as Send a Message from the Heart is, it would enter God territory if it was a 10 minute song rather than a 20 minute one, taking out that middle part or at least cleaning it up a little.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »
Never heard of this band or album, will have to check it out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #372 on: March 02, 2012, 03:33:44 PM »
Although they are a lesser known band, there are actually quite a few on here who really love this album, including Dimitrius, Ariich, and Bosk.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #373 on: March 02, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
16. Yes - Close to the Edge

While my love of The Yes Album is strong, there is little denying Close to the Edge's spot in the top 20. It's not often you see such a consensus amongst fans of a band with many good albums on what the best is, but with Yes it's this one. Sure, there are other favorites here or there, but all fans end up saying, start with this one, it's what everyone thinks is the best. And it holds a place in prog-rock circles as an album I've never seen many detractors for. It seems all the Rush classics, Genesis classics, Dark Side, The Wall, etc, all have people who seem to take beef with the amount of attention they get. Close to the Edge seems to be loved by many and disliked by very few, and for good reason. The three tracks of the album are all Yes classics, and in general three of their very best tracks overall.

Favorite tracks (Wonder which three I'll pick...): Close to the Edge, And You and I, Siberian Khatru

Honorable mention: Fates Warning - Disconnected

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Down by teh River
« Reply #374 on: March 02, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
That is in my top ten Nick.  As a 12 year old getting into Yes after buying Drama, this album is and will be always my favorite Yes album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #375 on: March 02, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »
Great pick! Top 20 for sure.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: March 02, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »
I love that honorable mention too, Disconnected is a FW gem.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #377 on: March 03, 2012, 04:38:55 AM »
I'd place Close to the edge slightly higher, it's great to see it in there.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: March 03, 2012, 04:54:54 AM »
Great pick!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: March 03, 2012, 05:11:50 AM »
#18 is and will be the best album on this list.

I think I just fell out of my chair
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #380 on: March 03, 2012, 05:48:41 AM »
Cool to see Disconnected in your honourable mentions - my favourite FW album.  :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #381 on: March 03, 2012, 08:45:14 AM »
The Story So Far:
16. Yes - Close to the Edge
17. Karmakanic - Who's the Boss in the Factory?
18. Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo 1
19. Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding
20. Metallica - Master of Puppets
21. Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Grey
22. Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle
23. Pink Floyd - Animals
24. Supertramp - Crime of the Century
25. Queensrche - Rage for Order
26. Yes - The Yes Album
27. Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
28. Enchant - A Blueprint of the World
29. Kansas - Leftoverture
30. Psycho Motel - Welcome to the World
31. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
32. Dream Theater - Train of Thought
33. John Petrucci - Suspended Animation
34. Fates Warning - Parallels
35. The Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel
36. Dredg - Catch Without Arms
37. Genesis - The Selling England By the Pound
38. Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy
39. Planet P Project - Go Out Dancing Part One: 1931
40. Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo 2
41. Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth
42. Pendragon - The Window of Life
43. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
44. Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
45. Spock's Beard - Octane
46. Amorphis - Am Universum
47. Evergrey - Recreation Day
48. Boston - Boston
49. Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
50. Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Honorable Mentions (Alphabetically)
Beardfish - Mammoth
Demians - Building an Empire
Devin Townsend – Terria
Dominici - 03, A Trilogy: Part Two
Evergrey – Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy
Fates Warning - Disconnected
Fish - 13th Star
Haken – Aquarius
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Labyrinth – Freeman
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Neal Morse – One
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element Pt. 1
Pendragon - The World
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Queensryche - The Warning
Redemption - The Fullness of Time
Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
Rush - Permanent Waves
Shadow Gallery – Tyranny
Sonata Arctica – Ecliptica
Spock's Beard - Beware of Darkness
Spock's Beard - The Kindness of Strangers
Star One - Victims of the Modern Age
Symphony X - V
Tesla – Mechanical Resonance
Tesla - Into the Now
The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are
Threshold - Dead Reckoning
Vanden Plas - The God Thing
Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight
Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #382 on: March 03, 2012, 10:22:41 AM »
Looking at the title I was expecting Neil Young to be honest.  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #383 on: March 03, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »
15. Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture

This album contains some of Pendragon's best songs, and as a whole is incredible from beginning to end. It's an album that I think is certainly their best in the long run, but unlike with many bands it is also the album I would recommend to a brand new fan. The melodies on this album are often nothing short of breathtaking, and I once again must suggest anyone who gets this makes sure they get the bonus track version. Although the song isn't bad, it's unfortunate that the ironically named The Pursuit of Excellence is only an average track. Without that minor lull in the middle of the album this would easily be top 10 material.

Favorite tracks: As Good as Gold, Masters of Illusion, Guardian of My Soul

Honorable mention: Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic Pt. 2

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Guardian of my Posts
« Reply #384 on: March 03, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
Love Pendragon - just really discovered them late last year.  Haven't listened to them enough to put them in the top echelon of my music, but I'm sure they will one day.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion