Author Topic: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Ending Themes  (Read 63842 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. I've Seen All Good Posters
« Reply #280 on: February 22, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »
Not much fail this week.  Good pics - the list and honorable mentions.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #281 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:06 AM »
25. Queensryche - Rage for Order

Rage For Order is the reason Queensryche is classified as progressive metal. The bands first full length release, The Warning, was very well received and an excellent record. However Rage For Order would maintain the quality with the addition of more complex song-writing and arrangements, and a very good use of synthesizers in general, let alone for the mid-80’s. The album features soaring vocals with precise phrasing, interplaying guitar work that shows how deep chemistry between two musicians can go, and a solid rhythmic backbone. To this day the record has only been topped by the band’s masterpiece, Operation: Mindcrime.

Opening with what has become a fan favorite, “Walk in the Shadows”, the album seems to slowly expose you to what Queensryche would become with this record. More experimentation is seen with “I Dream in Infrared”, and finally you are fully submerged in the new sound with “The Whisper”. After only these three songs I am in awe of both the composition and musicianship of the album. There is an early balance between the two that many bands have failed trying for, Queensryche did not. “Gonna Get Close to You”, certainly one of the riskier tracks on the album, and oddly its only single frankly creeps me out. Musically there are many aspects of the song I really enjoy including one of the simpler guitar solos that works very well with the song, but Geoff Tate can only tell me he’s going to get close to me so many times before I’m ready for the next track!

“The Killing Words” shows off how subtle use of the keyboards would be fully utilized to add an extra dimension to the album, and also shows how complex some of the arrangements and composition could get. “Surgical Strike” is a bit of a flash back to The Warning in the best of ways. An interesting drum rhythm under the verses, a catchy chorus, guitar solos that you wish you wrote, and a very short yet remarkably memorable instrumental section make the song one of my favorites. Next, “Neue Regel”, and later “Screaming in Digital” are direct descendants from The Warning’s “NM156”. Much like “Gonna Get Close to You” they feature the heaviest use of synthesizers, and are certainly two of the oddest songs on the album. Definitely both growers, after a few listens I think most will come to appreciate all the subtleties of these songs.

Next we come to my favorite track of the album, “Chemical Youth”. This song exemplifies all the best qualities of the album done in about four minutes, kicking your ass in the process. Although it is one of the heavier songs on the album, it shows off all the progression that Queensryche brought with them on the album. Complex arrangement, unusual drum beat and accent phrasing throughout the verses, awesome riffs and guitar work throughout, and a chorus that makes you want to head-bang uncontrollably. Finally, “London” and “I Will Remember” seem to continue the trend that “Chemical Youth” began. Both continue to showcase the near perfect merging of Queensryche’s early dominance of traditional metal with their more progressive leanings. This merging would be more refined and less obvious on the follow up album, Operation: Mindcrime, and would show its face once more on Promised Land, but after Rage For Order it was never again so precisely achieved.

Although I do consider Mindcrime the better album at the end of the day, Rage For Order certainly deserved credit for bring Queensryche to a level were they would be ready to deal with a monumental concept album. It is also important to note that a title track would be dropped from the final record, and later surface in instrumental form as “Anarchy-X”. After seeing the bands comments on the album and comments from the man himself, I can only thank Neil Kernon, the albums producer and mixer for both this positive evolution of Queensryche, and the merging of the old and the new. It’s no surprised that Neil was credited with additional keyboards on the album, considering from what I’ve seen, as a producer he was open to and was a catalyst for the evolution of Queensryche’s sound in so many ways. Neil also did a fantastic job with the sound of the album. The album was obviously recorded in the 80’s, yet even if I could, I wouldn’t change a thing. The guitars are subtle when they have to be and up front when that’s what the song needs. Everything seems in its place and even if the album sounds “dated”, for lack of a better word, I wouldn’t want the overall sound tampered with at all. This album shows Queensryche at or near their zenith in many different respects, and we are very lucky that they’d stay at the top for several years to come.

Favorite tracks: Chemical Youth (We Are Rebellion), I Dream in Infrared, Walk in the Shadows

Honorable mention: Tesla - Mechanical Resonance
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »
It's a great album, although I prefer Fragile and CTTE above it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #283 on: February 22, 2012, 07:39:09 AM »
Really?  I hated it because it was a boring rehash of their last three albums, synth or not.  They needed to move on.

And you mean they did with SSOASS? come on, I hated That one when it first came out. Sounded really bland to my ears. The fact that is was a 'conceptalbum' didn't help much.
Seventh Son at least did something more, yes, and is worthwhile because of it.  It offers an expansion to their classic sound, but they didn't really move on until X-Factor.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Chemical Posters (We are DTF)
« Reply #284 on: February 22, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
Couple of good choices there.  Rage starts one of the best 4 album runs ever by any band... up there with Rush (AFTK thru to MP) and Floyd (DSotM thru to The Wall).

Mechanical Resonance is a great and under-appreciated album.  Now that I think about it, that too started a pretty good 4 album run.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2012, 07:49:01 AM »

Couple of good choices there.  Rage starts one of the best 4 album runs ever by any band... up there with Rush (AFTK thru to MP) and Floyd (DSotM thru to The Wall).

Mechanical Resonance is a great and under-appreciated album.  Now that I think about it, that too started a pretty good 4 album run.
Yes on Tesla :metal

But my 4 album run for QR starts with Warning and ends at Empire.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2012, 07:51:49 AM »
As far as I'm concerned they are one of 3 bands with an outstanding 5 album run. Warning>Promised Land, 2112>MP, and Script>Season's End.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: February 22, 2012, 07:53:01 AM »
Rage was way ahead of its time. Ididn't understand it at the time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #288 on: February 22, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »
As far as I'm concerned they are one of 3 bands with an outstanding 5 album run. Warning>Promised Land, 2112>MP, aTnd Script>Season's End.
Beast thru 7th Son and Kill em All thru The Black Album are also pretty solid runs.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #289 on: February 22, 2012, 08:09:11 AM »
I heard of a banded called "Dream Theater" that has a nice run from I&W -> 6DoIT :neverusethis:

Nice picks again.  I wouldn't have guessed some of these bands like Van Halen, Tesla, and Boston being on your list, so its keeping me on my toes.

Make some more picks I can make fun of please.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:34 AM »
I think the next 3 or 4 will keep me safely from your mockery sadly.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: February 22, 2012, 09:30:50 AM »
As far as I'm concerned they are one of 3 bands with an outstanding 5 album run. Warning>Promised Land, 2112>MP, and Script>Season's End.

Coheed with every album they've put out so far :D

DTVT: If FII was just a liiiiiiittle bit better I would have said the same thing you did.  Just take out YNM and BMS.

I'm not really a fan of Rage for Order though.  Mindcrime and Empire were just so much better from the songwriting front. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:48:11 AM by skydivingninja »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: February 22, 2012, 03:35:18 PM »
24. Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Not everyone will agree that Supertramp was, in any typical way, a classic prog band, however I’d say that Crime of the Century was one of the finest progressive releases of the entire 1970’s. While others tend to focus on releases like Red, or Selling England by the Pound, I tend to think that Supertramp produced a record superior to either of those.

The opening track, “School”, shows keyboardist Richard Davies showing very early on that while other keyboardists at the time were experimenting with new technologies and sounds, he was busy simply taking a classic piano song to an entirely new level within a rock song. Likewise, in the next track, “Bloody Well Right” they band documents how to make something mainstream yet respectable, and John Helliwell plays the song out with a magnificent saxophone solo. John continues his exceptional playing through the next track, “Hide in Your Shell”. While the band through these first three tracks have not done anything individually groundbreaking I can’t help but call the song-writing progressive in the sense that it builds on available ideas in a way that is unique to the band. Although the vocals provided by Roger Hodgson and Richard Davies certainly stand out, there is something about the music that specifically stands out as Supertramp.

This is perhaps most apparent on the track “Asylum”. A beautiful and surreal track, “Asylum” documents how well Supertramp can use piano and string arrangements in their music. Although fans have debated whether or not Crime of the Century is a true concept album, buy the start of the classic track “Dreamer”, one could easily begin to believe that it is, simply because of how well all the music seems to flow, how it seems to connect and build.

“Dreamer” and the two tracks that follow continue to exhibit the excellent songwriting that is in abundance on the record, until finally the album comes to an amazing conclusion with the albums self-titled track. Beginning with a beautiful lyrical section the song then features a simple but effective guitar “solo” followed by an amazing album outro that ranks among my favorites of all time, despite its relative simplicity. It’s not hard to conceptualize, it’s not fast paced, it doesn’t require a music degree to understand, but it does capture the emotion of the album perfectly, in a way that I personally see as progressive, even if others do not.

As soon as an album has a few popular singles people seem to have a problem calling it prog. However, despite my insistence that Crime of the Century is a progressive release, what’s truly important is how good the album is. Call it classic rock, pop, or prog, a rose by any other name will still smell sweet, and this album will still be amazing, no matter how you classify it. 

Favorite tracks: Crime of the Century, Asylum, School

Honorable mention: Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. If Everyone Was Posting
« Reply #293 on: February 22, 2012, 03:54:01 PM »
Awesome album and best Supertramp record by far. You know, Paris was the first vinyl record I ever owned. Great band all around. Guess we're gonna hear some Supertramp tonight!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. If Everyone Was Posting
« Reply #294 on: February 23, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »
23. Pink Floyd - Animals

I know it might be a stretch to call this album under-appreciated, but I think the description fits. Coming off the heels of an album with several radio classics I don't think Animals has ever gotten the populist flare from casual Floyd fans. On the same note The Wall, easily Pink Floyd's most overrated album followed it up and made both hardcore and casual fans forget that Animals ever happened. The bulk of the album is basically three of Floyd's best songs, beautifully packaged between Pigs on the Wing. Lyrically the album blows The Wall out of the water, and manages to have all the killer (perhaps without highs quite as high as The Wall), but lacks any filler whatsoever.

Favorite tracks: The Middle Songs (Three Different Ones)

Honorable mention: Devin Townsend - Terria

Offline Mladen

Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. And I Want, And I Need, And I Lust
« Reply #295 on: February 24, 2012, 02:29:02 AM »
Brilliant album, my top 5 actually.  :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: February 24, 2012, 02:55:06 AM »
Great album, perhaps my 2nd favourite PF album after DSOTM.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: February 24, 2012, 03:09:33 AM »
Animals is a great album. Your list is getting better now Nick  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: February 24, 2012, 05:42:28 AM »
Animals is a great album. Your list is getting better now Nick  :tup

What he said. I just listened to this yesterday on my flight. Damn near perfect prog album.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: February 24, 2012, 05:49:33 AM »
Animals is not that great of an album.

Terria is a great album.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2012, 05:59:41 AM »
Animals is all right.  Nothing wrong with it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #301 on: February 24, 2012, 06:20:18 AM »
 I don't consider myself a PF fan, but I love Animals. One of 3 PF cds that I have.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2012, 09:19:12 AM »
my favorite pink floyd album

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »
Never in my wildest dreams did I think you would put a Devin Townsend album anywhere in your top 100.  Terria is fantastic, I personally have it higher, but like I said I'm surprised you mentioned it at all.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
Although it is an album I rather like, did anyone fall for the bait and think I ranked Hysteria in the top 25?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: February 24, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »
I didn't pick up on that until you just mentioned it.  Even then, when I think of Hysteria my mind doesn't go to Animal first.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: February 24, 2012, 12:12:49 PM »
That's fine and dandy, but I wasn't referencing Hysteria as an album, I was specifically quoting Animal lyrics. :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: February 25, 2012, 10:07:06 PM »
22. Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle

A space opera. Those are the words that adorn the first line of the back of this album. It certainly fits. Anyone who doesn't like sci-fi lyrics can move on, but for those that like them, they will not find any happier experience than with this album. Arjen started using a few bigger names on this album and the cast stars the Scottish Fish, who perfectly executes his role as Highlander. Arjen does a fantastic job making great use of the other vocalists as well, and gave himself the appropriate role of hippie. I think that the first two Ayreon albums are criminally underrated, but that said there is no question that this is the album that made Ayreon into a prog powerhouse.

Favorite tracks: Amazing Flight, Across the Rainbow Bridge, The Castle Hall

Honorable mention: Labyrinth - Freeman

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. The Forum Hall
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2012, 02:43:15 AM »
Very solid album.  I prefer Migrator but this is awesome of course.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2012, 03:44:45 AM »
Ah...the Flying Dutchman... :biggrin:

Great pick! This one really put him on the map, but those first two were indeed very underrated. Can´t wait to hear his new one.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: February 26, 2012, 04:38:34 AM »
My Favorite Ayreon album. Great choice there
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: February 26, 2012, 06:34:48 AM »
"Across the Rainbow Bridge" is the only song I kind of like from that album.  The rest of its not my thing at ALL. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: February 26, 2012, 07:25:27 AM »
My 2nd fav Ayreon album, and Rainbow Bridge is my favorite song.  Awesome album all around.  I love concept albums, I love Arjen's work ... this album is pure bliss.  Just listened to it a couple of days ago.

Offline Rick

« Reply #313 on: February 26, 2012, 07:48:55 AM »
Everything about this thread is so 2004-dt.net/bb

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #314 on: February 26, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »
My Favorite Ayreon album. Great choice there
This, except I think Ayreon gets old very quickly.  They're great to revisit, but I find them tough to listen to on any sort of regular basis.