Author Topic: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Ending Themes  (Read 63773 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Welceom to the List
« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »
PM's first album State of Mind is amazing also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
39. Planet P Project - Go Out Dancing Part One: 1931

I know a few of you have heard tracks I've played from this album and not cared for them, but I looove this album. I've never seen an album take me to another place like this one does. From 1931 up through World War II the album leaves me feeling like I've actually experienced the time. A mixture of trippy music, well used repetition and sound-bytes from the time just creates an amazing atmosphere throughout the album. I admit that perhaps as individual tracks this album might not seem like much, and much like OSI the vocals are very specifically tuned for the type of album and nothing to write home about, but as an album this is just an amazing experience.

Favorite tracks: Join the Parade, Waiting for the Winter, My Radio Talks to Me

Honorable mention: Queensryche - The Warning

You're the only other person I know that has this.

No way close to a Top 500 album for me, but it's a great album.

At least now I know I can request something from here on your radio show......

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Post to Post
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »
33. John Petrucci - Suspended Animation

Quite simply put, the best instrumental album I own. I hate to spoil it folks, but no LTE, no Derek Sherinian, no Scale the Summit, this is the cream of the crop. I have always been surprised with how much I love this album considered how guitar focused it is. My one complaint has always been that he shows off the guitar more than overall song-writing, but the guitar melodies and parts on this album are just killer. Knowing I was going to be meeting John I didn't look to get his signature on any DT or other album, this was his baby and the one I am so happy to have his ink on. The long awaited and long delayed follow up is in general one of my most anticipated albums right now.

Favorite tracks: Glasgow Kiss, Jaws of Life, Tunnel Vision

Honorable mention: Evergrey – Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy

You clearly need to listen to more instrumental albums....

Offline contest_sanity

Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Post to Post
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »

Quite simply put, the best instrumental album I own.

You clearly need to listen to more instrumental albums....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Welcome to the List
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
29. Kansas - Leftoverture

Part of what is a very strong run of albums, Leftoverture kicks off with the infamous Carry on My Wayward Son, and doesn't stop kicking classic prog-rock ass until it's over with Magnum Opus. When deciding what Kansas albums would go where in this it was a tough choice, as Song For America and Point of Know Return are incredibly strong albums as well. Perhaps one is even higher on the list? In any case, if you want song-oriented prog-rock with fantastic melodies and of course great stringed goodness, then this is the place to go.

Favorite tracks: Miracles Out of Nowhere, Cheyenne Anthem, Carry On My Wayward Son

Honorable mention: Pendragon - The World
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. Posts Out of Nowhere
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2012, 05:14:30 AM »
The Psycho Motel albums did not do anything for me...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2012, 06:24:57 AM »
The Psycho Motel albums did not do anything for me...

I think CVS sells cures for irregular ear syndrome. :p
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2012, 06:58:07 AM »
I love Leftoverture, but Carry on My Wayward Son blatantly rips off Journey's I'm Gonna Leave You riff.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »
Not sure if I've ever heard it, will have to check it out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »
28. Enchant - A Blueprint of the World

Much like Kansas, Enchant are a song-focused brand of prog-rock and they've been bringing all the goods to the table since day 1. I think the truly stand out against a lot of other prog-rock for their shorter attempts at the genre, and while they do have a few great longish songs on the album, it's when you compare their attemp at 5-6 minute songs to those of other prog band that you realize how amazing they are at what they do.  This is one of the premier debut albums in all of prog as far as I'm concerned, and it's a shame that despite their semi-uniqueness, initial passion (about 7 albums in 7 years), and great music this album didn't do more to make them take off.

Favorite tracks: Oasis, The Thirst, Open Eyes

Honorable mention: Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. At DTF's Door
« Reply #255 on: February 20, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
Enchant is awesome, and they officially announced their new album.  I'm so freaking happy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #256 on: February 20, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »
Enchant is awesome, and they officially announced their new album.  I'm so freaking happy.

THEY DID?!?!  AWESOME!!!  And great choice Nick!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: February 20, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
27. Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time

One of Maiden's more under appreciated albums for sure, I've never understood why this gets overlooked for the average Seventh Son which came after it. It was a big departure from Powerslave which makes it all the more impressive. Perhaps not in style as much in sound, but whatever the case it sounded like a breath of fresh air for the band. The obvious blight of Heaven Can Wait is the only thing holding this album back from being higher on this list, and so help me god if they play it on the forthcoming tour instead of some other tracks from this I will find Steve Harris and strangle him.

Favorite tracks: Stranger in a Strange Land, Sea of Madness, Wasted Years

Honorable mention: Neal Morse – One

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. The Lonliness of the Long Distance Poster
« Reply #258 on: February 20, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
Excellent choice.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: February 20, 2012, 10:29:16 PM »
If not for the last two songs Somewhere in Time would be alongside AMOLAD and Powerslave in the "perfect Maiden album (i.e. no bad songs)" category for me.  In its current form though, its alongside Brave New World, TNOTB, and Piece of Minds that have a few duds that keep it from being really perfect.

And I agree on SSOASS.  IMO the worst of the classic Dickinson albums, though songs like Infinite Dreams, Moonchild, the Clairvoyant, and The Evil that Men Do are all fantastic. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: February 21, 2012, 12:37:32 AM »
Somewhere In Time is tied for me with 7Th Son as the best Maiden album. The synthesizers add some nice atmosphere to the sound. Great choice!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2012, 02:07:43 AM »
Yeah, I remember reading some reviews that they were using synths. I thought the'd ruin the sound, but they actually made it work.
Great atmosphere on some songs, Stranger, Wasted years, the title track. Didn't care much for some of the longer songs. Plus, you gotta love that cover art....  :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #262 on: February 21, 2012, 02:46:10 AM »
Enchant? Isn't their singer the frontman of Spock's beard now?

And great to see my #2 album at #27, I also love the little hints you give us with the thread title.  ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: February 21, 2012, 05:24:09 AM »
What a fantastic Maiden album. Great choice Nick.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #264 on: February 21, 2012, 06:45:07 AM »
Ironicaly, Heaven Can Wait has aged well, it's a song I never cared for. And though I loved this album when it came out, it has not aged well as a whole. Still, Caught Somewhere In Time is my #3 all time Maiden song!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: February 21, 2012, 06:54:23 AM »
Great Maiden album and great tour Nick.  Bot do I ever have a funny story about going to that show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: February 21, 2012, 07:13:08 AM »
Great Maiden album and great tour Nick.  Bot do I ever have a funny story about going to that show.

And you're just going to leave us hanging?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #267 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »
Sorry, but I like SSOASS better.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #268 on: February 21, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »
Sorry, but I like SSOASS better.

Same here.  Although I really love Somewhere In Time quite a bit.  I HATED it when it first came out.  I just could not wrap my mind around the fact that Iron Maiden had introduced synths into their sound. 

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #269 on: February 21, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »
Really?  I hated it because it was a boring rehash of their last three albums, synth or not.  They needed to move on.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #270 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
26. Yes - The Yes Album

When I think about a classic Yes album, my mind, like the minds of most fans goes directly to the band’s 1972 effort Close to the Edge. However I feel that two albums prior to that album the band may have very well recorded something that is quite possibly an equal to the much better known Close to the Edge.

Picking up where Time and a Word left off, The Yes Album represents the solid foundation of the band’s future identity, while flawlessly executing the new styles woven into it. One could chalk this up to simple growth as a band, a maturity of musical ideas, but I think, and plenty of Yes fans would agree that the addition of guitarist Steve Howe probably had something to do with it too.

Howe’s presence is felt early on the record, having several leads in the opening track “Yours is No Disgrace” that now people would simply say are “Howe-like”. He has a beautiful way on the album of bringing the guitar to the center of the music without any amount of heaviness, and without drowning out any of the other instruments. The second song, “The Clap” is simply a live rendition of Howe in London with an acoustic guitar performing a diddy that remains a live staple to this day. The man simply has a beauty and technique to his playing that is simply mesmerizing.

The rest of Yes certainly have their moments on the disc as well. Gentle use of the organ by Tony Kaye and soothing yet soaring vocals by Jon Anderson certainly power “Starship Trooper”, while Chris Squire’s bass lays the fundamental groundwork for the Yes classic “I’ve Seen All Good People”. And of course Bill Bruford manages to add his own spark to things throughout the album.

Although many would say that The Yes Album was simply a stepping stone towards greater things I would certainly argue that the band had already arrived at the first of several masterpieces with the record. The album is prog-rock in its purest form, yet it might be the most accessible album the band ever produced, despite obvious attempts at commercialization in their later years. Whether you are listening to the album intently or in the background it will put a smile on your face, as it manages simply to be enjoyed, and does not require the concentration of Close to the Edge, or especially Tales From Topographic Oceans.

While most consider Close to the Edge THE Yes album, and many proggers consider it to be the brightest star in the entire prog sky, if I ran into somebody and had no clue about their musical taste, and I wanted to show them what Yes was capable of, I would be giving them The Yes Album.

Favorite tracks: Starship Troopers, Yours is No Disgrace, Perpetual Change

Honorable mention: Vanden Plas - The God Thing

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »

Nope, I just wanted to type it out at home.

I got really plastered at this show and we were behind the sound board on the floor.  So our row and the row in front of us got up on the back rest of the chairs to see over the board.  One of my buddies was the last to do so and when he did the whole two rows folded shut.  I went flying head first into another row in front of me hitting my forehead on the chair, drunk as all hell and passing out for a few.  While coming to,  my buddies held me up only to see the full stage where Eddie's head is the riser and his hands were lifters for both Adrian Smith and Steve Harris_is on one hand and Dave Murray and Bruce is on the other. 

My buddies were trying to hold me up while security comes rushing over and I'm drunk screaming "EDDIE"  Throwing the metal sign in drunkinese.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nick's Top 50 Thread v. I've Seen All Good Posters
« Reply #272 on: February 21, 2012, 03:22:06 PM »
Also the Yes Album   RULES!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2012, 05:55:55 PM »
The Yes Album is my favorite Yes album. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
The Yes Album is one of the greatest Yes albums
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #275 on: February 21, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
Great selection.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #276 on: February 21, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
The Story So Far:
26. Yes - The Yes Album
27. Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
28. Enchant - A Blueprint of the World
29. Kansas - Leftoverture
30. Psycho Motel - Welcome to the World
31. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
32. Dream Theater - Train of Thought
34. Fates Warning - Parallels
35. The Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel
36. Dredg - Catch Without Arms
37. Genesis - The Selling England By the Pound
38. Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy
39. Planet P Project - Go Out Dancing Part One: 1931
40. Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo 2
41. Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth
42. Pendragon - The Window of Life
43. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
44. Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
45. Spock's Beard - Octane
46. Amorphis - Am Universum
47. Evergrey - Recreation Day
48. Boston - Boston
49. Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
50. Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Honorable Mentions (Alphabetically)
Beardfish - Mammoth
Demians - Building an Empire
Dominici - 03, A Trilogy: Part Two
Evergrey – Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Neal Morse – One
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element Pt. 1
Pendragon - The World
Queensryche - The Warning
Redemption - The Fullness of Time
Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
Rush - Permanent Waves
Shadow Gallery – Tyranny
Sonata Arctica – Ecliptica
Spock's Beard - Beware of Darkness
Spock's Beard - The Kindness of Strangers
Star One - Victims of the Modern Age
Symphony X - V
Tesla - Into the Now
The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are
Vanden Plas - The God Thing
Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight
Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #277 on: February 22, 2012, 01:34:12 AM »
Really?  I hated it because it was a boring rehash of their last three albums, synth or not.  They needed to move on.

And you mean they did with SSOASS? come on, I hated That one when it first came out. Sounded really bland to my ears. The fact that is was a 'conceptalbum' didn't help much.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #278 on: February 22, 2012, 05:15:40 AM »

Nope, I just wanted to type it out at home.

I got really plastered at this show and we were behind the sound board on the floor.  So our row and the row in front of us got up on the back rest of the chairs to see over the board.  One of my buddies was the last to do so and when he did the whole two rows folded shut.  I went flying head first into another row in front of me hitting my forehead on the chair, drunk as all hell and passing out for a few.  While coming to,  my buddies held me up only to see the full stage where Eddie's head is the riser and his hands were lifters for both Adrian Smith and Steve Harris_is on one hand and Dave Murray and Bruce is on the other. 

My buddies were trying to hold me up while security comes rushing over and I'm drunk screaming "EDDIE"  Throwing the metal sign in drunkinese.
Nice,King! That was my favorite Maiden tour.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2012, 06:43:51 AM »
That Yes album is damn good.  :tup