Author Topic: Heritage Not Hate  (Read 8945 times)

Offline TL

Re: Heritage Not Hate
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »
Even if you're allowed to use a certain symbol, you can't just ignore a meaning that the majority of people associate with it. Fly the flag if you want, but be aware that many, many people interpret it and those who fly it a certain way.

You can't just ignore the majority view because you disagree with it. I'm not going to walk around with an image of a swastika, and then feign ignorance when people get offended. Sure, the swastika was a symbol of Hinduism, and many other things, before it gained its more notorious reputation, but it DOES carry that negative interpretation now for most people. Even if my intent was entirely based around one of the innocent uses of the symbol, I know damn well what it means to most people.

A person may fly the confederate flag solely because they're proud of living in the south, without intending anything racist. That doesn't change the fact that most people do consider it a racist symbol, and it's well known that it has that reputation. Yes, you have the freedom to display it, but it isn't unreasonable for people to be offended if you do.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2012, 12:08:01 AM »
...but the vast majority of people in the US would instantly associate it with a slave culture.

I don't think this is true at all.

....It is. Drive through a black neighborhood with that flag waving from your truck. See how long you last.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2012, 04:13:16 AM »
...but the vast majority of people in the US would instantly associate it with a slave culture.

....It is. Drive through a black neighborhood with that flag waving from your truck. See how long you last.

I think it is more thought of these days as generically racist, not specifically related to slave culture.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2012, 07:22:27 AM »
I think it is more thought of these days as generically racist, not specifically related to slave culture.
There's probably a reason I almost never see the Battle Flag or its likeness in Atlanta.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »
LOL...yeah, probably doesnt pop up too much in Compton or Harlem either.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »
It only pops up in more rural areas with mostly conservative white people.

That's my guess for the majority anyway.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2012, 05:01:13 AM »
It only pops up in more rural areas with mostly conservative white people.

That's my guess for the majority anyway.
Yes, this is correct.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2012, 04:41:45 PM »
I never thought about it as a regional thing, but it makes sense if that's the case.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.