Author Topic: About to leave to have 2 teeth taken out - UPDATE: THEY HAVE BEEN TERMINATED  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I am so nervous. :lol :lol :lol

Two extractions. It's just now hitting me that I am about to have this done. I feel like it's a huge deal (it is, to get id of these painful things), but I feel I am blowing it out of proportion.

What foods should I eat after the extractions? I know I'll be eating soft foods for a while.

fml
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:57:08 PM by Jamesman42 »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: About to leave to have 2 teeth taken out
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »
Lukewarm macarena and cheese.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:53:03 AM »
Bro.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:53:25 AM »
I had all 4 of my wisdoms impacted. They had to be shattered, and the pieces picked out one at a time. I don't remember the two hours or so following the procedure, as I was drugged up beyond belief. According to my dad, 2 lady assistants had to help me walk down the hall way, and I kept trying to convince them to come home with me  :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »
No wisdom teeth here, but damn dude. :lol

I have a premolar and a tooth next to where a wisdom tooth would be.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »
Speaking as someone who has way too much experience with dental surgery, I'd say don't worry too much.  They should give you some pretty heavy drugs to manage the pain for a while, and if the procedure goes well, there might not even BE that much pain - when I've had work done, my gums have always healed really nicely, and I've never been in pain for more than a day or two afterwards. 

As for foods, are the extractions both being done on the same side of your mouth?  Because if they are on the same side, and you'll be able to chew on your opposite side, you can eat pretty much anything as long as you chew carefully.  Avoid crunchy stuff, since pieces might lodge themselves on the wrong side. 

If the extractions are on opposite sides of your mouth, then I recommend mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, chicken noodle soup, ravioli, and jello. 

Also, they'll probably tell you not to smoke.  Don't know if that's an issue for you or not.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 08:35:09 AM »
I had all 4 of my wisdoms impacted. They had to be shattered, and the pieces picked out one at a time. I don't remember the two hours or so following the procedure, as I was drugged up beyond belief. According to my dad, 2 lady assistants had to help me walk down the hall way, and I kept trying to convince them to come home with me  :lol

Same here, the remaining two wisdom teeth of mine had to be sawed into 4 pieces each and that pulled out of the socket. All with full anesthesia of course, but yeah, waking up afterwards is quite something :lol
For me really the worst aspect was post-surgery. For two days solid I was spitting blood.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »
I had 2 teeth taken out. Only bit that hurts is the injection at the start, after that you are all dazed and numb. All you feel is the fact that they are pulling really hard and the vibrations of the root gradually coming out. Only advice I would have is bring something to spit in on the way home, it bleeds a fair bit but not for very long. I remember my mouth being full of blood after the car ride home (after my mum so kindly stopped off to post some stuff and other chores on the way back not realising what was going on with me cos I couldn't say anything!)
Regarding food, you can chew anything as long as you are careful where in your mouth it goes. I know they say soft foods only but I'm sure thats just defence against morons who go and jam an alp of toblerone up inside the hole where the old tooth was :p
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
I had 2 teeth taken out. Only bit that hurts is the injection at the start, after that you are all dazed and numb. All you feel is the fact that they are pulling really hard and the vibrations of the root gradually coming out. Only advice I would have is bring something to spit in on the way home, it bleeds a fair bit but not for very long. I remember my mouth being full of blood after the car ride home (after my mum so kindly stopped off to post some stuff and other chores on the way back not realising what was going on with me cos I couldn't say anything!)
Regarding food, you can chew anything as long as you are careful where in your mouth it goes. I know they say soft foods only but I'm sure thats just defence against morons who go and jam an alp of toblerone up inside the hole where the old tooth was :p
The injection depends on what dentist you have. My dentist uses this goofy gel on the injection site, and you don't even feel the needle. If you're lucky enough to have a dentist as cool as mine, you get to just enjoy the novocaine buzz and chill out while they rip shit out of your head.

Personally, I've got two little cavities to be filled today, so I feel your nervousness. For me, it helps to remember that other people are probably undergoing much worse torment than you are at that exact moment. The nervous feeling never really goes away for me though. I've had probably 4 cavities filled by this guy with no major pain, and I'm still a fucking wreck.  :lol
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »

Same here, the remaining two wisdom teeth of mine had to be sawed into 4 pieces each and that pulled out of the socket. All with full anesthesia of course, but yeah, waking up afterwards is quite something :lol
For me really the worst aspect was post-surgery. For two days solid I was spitting blood.

rumborak

I couldn't spit, I had so much gauze in my mouth to keep me from swallowing it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
It's been nice (not) knowing you, jamesman.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 09:05:32 AM »

rumborak

I couldn't spit, I had so much gauze in my mouth to keep me from swallowing it.

I love looking at your avatar when discussing this topic :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »
PASTA AND MEATBALLS in a blender   
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:57 AM »
I have a little discomfort. It was pretty cool, but the doctor had to give me 3 times the novocaine because it hurt that bad. And even now, it hurts.

brb pharmacy

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »
<3

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 10:29:36 AM »
Still a fair amount of blood coming from one tooth. The other one seems to be not bleeding. Just changed the gauze and waiting so I can take the drugs.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 10:34:10 AM »
replace the guaze with a tea bag if you have one handy..tea has tannic acid which helps blood clot....wet the bag first, than squeeze out any excess water

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »
should i would be worried about the amount of blood coming out? It's only been about an hour and a half.

I have green tea..is that good?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »
Green tea will work as well, just be careful removing the gauze if the blood flow has slowed as each time you do you reopen what has already started to clot

if its still bleeding heavily after 3 or 4 hours than I would call the dentist or oral surgeon for suggestions  also once it heals (clots) gentle rinse with warm salt water, it will help keep the gums clean and reduce some of the swelling

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »
So, remove the gauze slowly? I'm already noticing less blood drooling out of my mouth haha.

thank you for the advice overall. they gave me instructions but some of them feel vague

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
Sorry about the pain and blood  :( . Hope you feel better soon Jamesman  :heart :heart
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 10:49:50 AM »
thank you <3 im fine right now actually, no real pain i guess but supposedly it is coming

i do wanna take the hydrocodone i have NOW before the pain comes....idk if i can take it now

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »
should i would be worried about the amount of blood coming out? It's only been about an hour and a half.

I have green tea..is that good?

It'll take time for the sockets to stop bleeding.  I had an extraction last year and it bled for 24 hours.  After the clot formed, however, I was good... it didn't bleed again after that.  Just keep replacing the gauze every so often and be careful what you eat.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »
Thank you...it appears the one that was giving me the most trouble has already stop bleeding a lot, the other one is going strong though

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »
I've had 5 teeth taken out and been incredibly lucky, or perhaps have just had a very good oral surgeon. First came my 4 wisdom teeth, which I went under for. After I had a little bit of swelling and some minor pain, but really everything was back to normal in very little time. I actually went from the oral surgeons office directly to a diner and had a normal lunch.

Also, this experience is where I learned that Hydrocodeine is amazing. Luckily due to short lived pain I didn't have to take too many pills. As someone without health insurance it was nice to have the extras around when other issues arose as I can't always get to a doctor or dentist quickly or easily.

Years later I got a lateral incisor knocked off at the gum line in a hockey game. There was actually no bleeding or pain from that, but a year later I did get it pulled. A shot of novacaine was given and the surgeon was literally in and out of my mouth in under a minute. It bled for about a half hour, but there was no pain after the novacaine wore off, and everything healed up rather quickly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »
Nick, thanks for the post. The bleeding has now pretty much stopped (very small trickle now, I don't even know if I should put anymore gauze in there).

The novocaine is definitely wearing off and I feel a very slight throbbing on one of the gaps. It doesn't hurt or even feel that uncomfortable. I already had two things of pussing, and I am considering taking a hydrocodone just in case pain comes to me. The area that has the slight throbbing also had 3 times the novocaine.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
If there is going to be any bad pain it's going to be in the first day or two, so I'd say taken one now, and take one before you go to bed. After that you might wake up and not have any more pain.

There might be a little blood here and there, but that's to be expected I think, I'd just rinse out every now and again if it's not severe.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
Yeah I just popped one and about to watch LOTR :lol

Pudding is my friend

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 01:00:52 PM »
You'll be feeling fab in no time!

I had all four of my distally impacted wisdom teeth removed. I had the last two done a few months ago and I really thought the oral surgeon was going to break my jaw, so much pulling!

I went back to work and school the next day, doped up on vicodin.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »
I'm sure the worst of it is over Jamesman.

And don't go driving to the pharmacy, have other people do your bidding.  You can make people your slaves for the next day or so, take advantage of it!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »
Yeah, I am, uh, feeling great. No pain at all. I don't know if it's the hydrocodone doing its job, but even before I took it it wasn't feeling bad.

And yeah DTVT, I had my roommate drive me earlier. :D

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »
Yeah, I am, uh, feeling great. No pain at all. I don't know if it's the hydrocodone doing its job, but even before I took it it wasn't feeling bad.

Yeah, it's usually not too bad.  I mean, obviously pain meds help, but even without, the pain's only going to be TERRIBLE if something went badly. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:13:34 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking it was going to be this unbearable pain where I'd want to kill myself. Really, I feel relieved and great. I was thinking I wasn't going to work online tonight, but I feel up to it right now...

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
A few years ago, I had problems with my teeth. The baby teeth wouldn't even budge, so they just had to take them out. I had 6 removed in one day  :omg:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »
O_O

Dang dude.