Author Topic: New DT cd early 2013?  (Read 12646 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: New DT cd early 2013?
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
Well, JLB said that MM is still not going to be a part of the writing process for DT12,

He didn't say that.  I can see why some might think he implied that, but I think he meant the next album will be similar to ADTOE in regards to them taking their time with letting the songs grow and whatnot. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »
Now, since Mike Mangini started out as the new drummer, have you changed anything in the writing and recording process?
– Well, I think the biggest difference is that when we went into the studio to record, or to write and record, there was no drummer with us. It was just the four of us, in the studio, working ideas, just what somebody brought in "to the floor", to be looked at and worked on and possibly be developed into a full song. And that was a real change. The environment was much... Quieter? Calmer. It was much more patient. So what we would do is that when we had completed an idea, or a section of a song, John Petrucci would write down a drum program in the computer and it was enough to show us that we had an idea, or a song idea, that we could honestly look at. And then, once we were completed with a song we would get it to Mike Mangini and he would listen to it, and he would start to gather ideas on how he wanted to approach each and every song. So it worked out really nice. That approach is going to be repeated again. Mike also has recorded on a few of my solo albums so I knew exactly what it was like working with this guy, but as a band, we hadn't. So we thought it would be best if the four of us were in the studio because we know how each other works and thinks and interacts.

Sounds like the same as ADTOE.  Jordan, John, John, and sometimes James will write the songs with a structured drum track, Mike will come in and keep to the structure but spice things up a bit.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »
They might still do some of that, but JLB didn't say that Mangini would be excluded.  They still might write some stuff altogether and write some stuff separate.  That statement definitely does not exclude Mangini from the writing process.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 01:58:34 PM »
Maybe, but I doubt he'll have anywhere near the amount of influence as the others.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 02:02:37 PM »
Okay, but he didn't say that Mangini wouldn't be part of the writing process, like you said.  I remember reading that they have been doing a lot of jamming on tour, so if songs are eventually formed out of those jams, which Mangini is a part of, that alone makes him a bigger part of the writing process.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »
Maybe, but I doubt he'll have anywhere near the amount of influence as the others.

Yeah but he's the drummer so that is expected anyway.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
Yeah, most drummers are replaceable hacks anyway, except of course for Lars Ulrich.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »
Everyone who has commented so far in this thread has overlooked one VERY important aspect.......

The world is going to end in December this year cuz' the Mayans say so :(

:biggrin:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »
Now, since Mike Mangini started out as the new drummer, have you changed anything in the writing and recording process?
– Well, I think the biggest difference is that when we went into the studio to record, or to write and record, there was no drummer with us. It was just the four of us, in the studio, working ideas, just what somebody brought in "to the floor", to be looked at and worked on and possibly be developed into a full song. And that was a real change. The environment was much... Quieter? Calmer. It was much more patient. So what we would do is that when we had completed an idea, or a section of a song, John Petrucci would write down a drum program in the computer and it was enough to show us that we had an idea, or a song idea, that we could honestly look at. And then, once we were completed with a song we would get it to Mike Mangini and he would listen to it, and he would start to gather ideas on how he wanted to approach each and every song. So it worked out really nice. That approach is going to be repeated again. Mike also has recorded on a few of my solo albums so I knew exactly what it was like working with this guy, but as a band, we hadn't. So we thought it would be best if the four of us were in the studio because we know how each other works and thinks and interacts.

Sounds like the same as ADTOE.  Jordan, John, John, and sometimes James will write the songs with a structured drum track, Mike will come in and keep to the structure but spice things up a bit.

*cough* BOLD *cough*. I believe JLB referred to that.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »
Well the thing is that JLB mentioned how the drum parts for this album were composed after he said that the environment was calmer and more patient, so why would he be referring to a previous thing?

Additionally, in interviews with Mangini, he's expressed happiness that DT can continue composing in the way they're comfortable. He doesn't seem to want to step on JP and JR's groove. He never really voiced an interest in bringing something to DT compositionally.

If you ask me, anyway, I don't think Mangini's going to be writing this time around.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2012, 05:14:45 PM »
So, anyone got tracklisting and lengths?

I will have to make some up otherwise.

Get on it!
Aw man... Blob and the others was quicker... x)

Offline Jay.Ess

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »
I think we'll see the next DT album about July 2013. In the meantime, I'm enjoying ADTOE.  ;D

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Dream Theater 12: The Seduction

1.) Setting the Mood ft. Morgan Freeman on spoken word (Petrucci) 3:69
2.) Baby - This is How You Make Me Feel (Rudess) 6:69
3.) Tuvan Belly- Dancing (only samples of Tuvan throat singing on vox) 10:69
4.) Taking Off All Distractions (Myung) 16:69
5.) Sweet Kisses (Petrucci) 1:69
6.) Make Love Time (Rudess, Petrucci, Myung, LaBrie and samples from Take The Time) 8:69
7.) I'm Not Cuddling (Mangini) 4:69

Every song would have a sexy groovy bass line. Except for I'm Not Cuddling. It would be the heaviest, proggiest song to ever exist. Imagine taking Metropolis, Breaking All Illusions, LTL, BITS and condensing it to 5 minutes and it still sound amazing. You know why? No guy wants to cuddle.

at least that's what any news of a new album by DT makes me feel.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
About the time I realized all the song lengths ended in :69 I started laughing uncontrollably.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline johncal

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »
After what happened with a drummer during the writing process before, they're probably still shell shocked.

Also, MM said when he writes music, he does it with a guitar or piano, both of which he can play. His opinion is that that's a better way to get the melody and song structure. If it's good enough for him and DT and we get more albums like ADTOE, then I'm sure not anybody to argue with that.

It amazes me that the guy came in with no DT experience and nailed it, giving us drum parts more complicated then we've ever heard, and sounds like he's been with the band for 20 years, but for some that's not good enough. Yes, it would be different if he was in the writing process via MP, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be better. Everyone in the band has mentioned that n ow that he's with the group it will open up new possibilities, because now they know what MM can do.

Here's my take. There will be some serious jam sessions going on with some crazy MM crap in there. The guys will sit down quietly and structure some good progressive music around those ideas and then record it.Personally, I want to hear more highly structured music like ADTOE, and that's how to get it.

Offline TL

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 10:51:16 PM »
I'm calling it right now. The new Dream Theater album will be released on May 21, 2013.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2012, 03:26:59 AM »
Petrucci's comment that DT is metal, but not dark and heavy really hits home.  This is excatly why I love DT.  They take all the best aspects of metal (speed, power, virtuosity, agressiveness) and discard the silly traits of metal (the fake evilness, the fake toughness, gruesome/satanic lyrics, etc . . .).

What makes those traits "fake" aside from the fact you dislike them?
If they act evil and tough, but aren't really evil and tough, then it's fake.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2012, 03:33:52 AM »
Petrucci's comment that DT is metal, but not dark and heavy really hits home.  This is excatly why I love DT.  They take all the best aspects of metal (speed, power, virtuosity, agressiveness) and discard the silly traits of metal (the fake evilness, the fake toughness, gruesome/satanic lyrics, etc . . .).

What makes those traits "fake" aside from the fact you dislike them?
If they act evil and tough, but aren't really evil and tough, then it's fake.

The way it's worded implies that all evilness and toughness in metal is fake though. What even makes these qualities real as opposed to fake? Does a band have to actually worship satan to be allowed to write a song about satan?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2012, 03:52:23 AM »
Well, it would make more sense to ME.

But I'm obviously not their target audience.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.