Author Topic: How much are you willing to pay for...  (Read 4044 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Re: How much are you willing to pay for...
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 02:45:13 PM »
How much are you willing to spend for...

a pair of jeans- 200 dollars maybe. I don't know. Mrs Vox has some jeans that have cost significantly more.

a new coat- Depends on what type of coat I guess. Is this a leather coat? A winter coat? A sport coat? I'll just pick winter coat...600.

sneakers- 300. Although, I buy shoes often at the Nike Outlet store too. And right now I have on my trusted Merrell hiking shoes. I usually wear my Merrell or Patagonia hikers, and they both run about 200 each.

shoes- I rarely have to wear suits anymore, so I don't need to buy wingtips or oxfords that often. I have a few pair of shoes that cost over 1,500 each. I go for quailty and comfort above all else when choosing shoes. When I started out, I was typically like everyone else--I bought what looked the best at what I could afford. Thats the thing about having money. You reach a point where when you can afford it, you make purchases based upon what feels good and is of the finest quality so it will last. It's not about spending the extra dollars because you're trying to one up somebody. I could give a rats ass about what anyone else is wearing or doing. I typically wear something from Allen Edmonds or Alden. Most of the shoes I have from those two places run around 500. I also have a pair of Clark shoes that are comfortable as hell and cost me about 60 bucks. Again. It all depends. For a guy I have a shit ton of shoes. Of course that includes dress shoes, sneakers, hiking boots, sandles, boat shoes, walking shoes, fishing boots, etc. Hell I even have a pair of snakebite boots (I do alot of hiking, and bird watching outdoors).

t shirt- I'm assuming you mean some type of graphic T. I don't really wear those anymore. I do have a few collegiate T's I wear showing my pride in all the schools I've attended. What are they? Usually about 40 or 50 bucks or so? I'd say the MOST I'd spend would be 150.

sporty shirt- Don't know what that means really. I have several shirts from Lands End, LL Bean, Polo, and others. I'll say most I'd spend is 500.

suit- I have about 3 dozen suits. I think the cheapest suit I own cost me around 800. I have several Armani and Brooks Bros. suits. I also have 5 suits that were made for me. I think the most I paid for one of those suits was somewhere around 6,500.

vehicle- Again. It depends. The most I've paid for car to date has been about 180,000. Mrs. Vox got a new Porsche for our anniversary a few months ago (this makes number 3. She's become a Porsche hoarder). I have been jonesing very badly for 2012 Maserati so about 150 I guess.

house- Again. Depends. We had four homes. We have three now. The one we live in the most and is our "Home base" we had built for about 3.5m.

vacation- Depends, really. It would have to depend on where I were going and what I was doing.

computer- I don't know. 5k.

phone-Again. I don't know. I have an iPhone and a Samsung Infuse 4G Andriod phone. They both do fine by me. I'd say most I'd spend on a phone would be 600.

Just a study is what the values are of certain things to various people. I'll fill mine out at some point.
If I forgot something relevant, add it.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »
My current home:  1098 square feet on a .25 acre lot.  Purchased in 2000 for $172,000, will probably appraise today at $160,000-ish, luckily I've been slamming a lot of extra principle payments into the mortgage and we only owe just over $100,000 on it now
We were THRILLED when our home appraised for what it did. On top of that, my wife sold the home she bought while single in downtown St. Louis for $116,000.....after paying $94,000 for it only 2 years earlier! I mean she sold that home literally within a month, maybe two before the bottom fell out of the market everwhere. After all was said and done with the closing costs of our new home, commisions and what not...we put down $20,000 on our home when we bought it. I don't remember the exact amount but on my last statment I believe we owe $135K and some change still?
  She put us in a great spot to start off our marriage/family by first off buying a desirable home in the city, maintaining it and touching it up....then we were blessed enough to have the timing just right to really get the maximum she could have out of that home. I can not imagine for one second having to pay more than 210K-215k for a home. That 500K talk is just insane! Good thing you guys are loaded :biggrin:

Yeah, but it's all relative.  The numbers here are higher, but I'll bet proportionally we're in roughly the same financial shape.  I just don't have kids to feed.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 02:50:40 PM »
My current home:  1098 square feet on a .25 acre lot.  Purchased in 2000 for $172,000, will probably appraise today at $160,000-ish, luckily I've been slamming a lot of extra principle payments into the mortgage and we only owe just over $100,000 on it now
We were THRILLED when our home appraised for what it did. On top of that, my wife sold the home she bought while single in downtown St. Louis for $116,000.....after paying $94,000 for it only 2 years earlier! I mean she sold that home literally within a month, maybe two before the bottom fell out of the market everwhere. After all was said and done with the closing costs of our new home, commisions and what not...we put down $20,000 on our home when we bought it. I don't remember the exact amount but on my last statment I believe we owe $135K and some change still?
  She put us in a great spot to start off our marriage/family by first off buying a desirable home in the city, maintaining it and touching it up....then we were blessed enough to have the timing just right to really get the maximum she could have out of that home. I can not imagine for one second having to pay more than 210K-215k for a home. That 500K talk is just insane! Good thing you guys are loaded :biggrin:

Yeah, but it's all relative.  The numbers here are higher, but I'll bet proportionally we're in roughly the same financial shape.  I just don't have kids to feed.
No, but you do have albums to write....so stop conversing with the public and lock yourself in your 'handy man special' and get to work :biggrin: :metal
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »

This is true. It's all relative. Home ownership may be higher where nosehair lives, but cost of living is much lower overall where drake is. I remember when we bought our first house in DC. It was 500K. It was 1/2 of a duplex, and totalled about 1,300 sq. feet. I recall thinking that same house would cost about 70k in Cincinnati. When we bought our next house 4 years later, we sold that first house for a little less 1m.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »

A pair of jeans - $25

A new coat - Don't wear coats but I'd go $40

Sneakers - $100

Shoes - Dress shoes? $50

T shirt - $20

Sporty shirt - $20

Suit - $100

Vehicle - $1000

House - I have no idea what a realistic house would cost because it depends on the location either way I couldn't afford one for a long time. Put me down for the average.

Vacation - $1000

Computer - $1000

phone - $0 for the phone $30-40 a month

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 03:23:08 PM »
I get the majority of my clothes at the thrift store. They are gently used or not worn at all. This one time I got a pair of Uggs for $3.99!

a pair of jeans: 2 for $25

a new coat: Have not bought a coat in years. The one I wear now is from a lost and found box at my Mom's job

sneakers: From the thrift store, $6.99

shoes: $20 new

t shirt: From thrift store $2.99-$9.99

computer: $750

phone: iphone 4s for $200

Kosmo

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »
Jeans - 50€
Coat - 100€
Sneakers - 100€
Shoes - 100€
T-shirt - 40-50€ at the very most
Suit - 200€
Vehicle - 0€
Vacation - 500€
Computer - Take all my money! Seriously, I'd be willing to throw a fortune on a computer.  :coolio
Phone - 200€

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
a pair of jeans - $25

a new coat - $50

sneakers - $40

shoes - $40

t shirt - $10

sporty shirt - $15

suit - $250

vehicle - $8,000

house - $150,000

vacation - $600

computer - $600

phone - $100

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »
these are all based on what I have spent in the past

a pair of jeans $30  if they aint on sale I dont buy them

a new coat- $400  Columbia Winter jacket  best investment I ever made

sneakers $90  again  only on sale

shoes  $60   I just bought 2 pair for 90 ( marked 69.99 each)

t shirt  $10   unless its a tour shirt than the going price

sporty shirt  $50

suit   $700

vehicle  $25,000

house  $275,000 but would probably look in the $400,000 range next time around

vacation  $5,000 to $6,000  considering I only go away on a real vacation about every other year I tend to make sure its something enjoyable

computer  $700    I have no luck with computers as the die on me constantly  ( I once spend $3000 on one about 15 years ago)

phone  $ if it not free with my plan  than I dont want it

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 04:41:35 PM »
whoa @ TV
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 04:43:12 PM »
a pair of jeans
$15
a new coat
$75
sneakers
$35
shoes
$35
t shirt
$15 (in-store) $40 (concert or band related)
sporty shirt
n/a
suit
$100
vehicle
n/a
house
n/a
vacation
n/a
computer
$1000
phone
$150
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 10:25:05 PM »

a pair of jeans- 200 dollars maybe. I don't know. Mrs Vox has some jeans that have cost significantly more.

a new coat- Depends on what type of coat I guess. Is this a leather coat? A winter coat? A sport coat? I'll just pick winter coat...600.

sneakers- 300. Although, I buy shoes often at the Nike Outlet store too. And right now I have on my trusted Merrell hiking shoes. I usually wear my Merrell or Patagonia hikers, and they both run about 200 each.

shoes- I rarely have to wear suits anymore, so I don't need to buy wingtips or oxfords that often. I have a few pair of shoes that cost over 1,500 each. I go for quailty and comfort above all else when choosing shoes. When I started out, I was typically like everyone else--I bought what looked the best at what I could afford. Thats the thing about having money. You reach a point where when you can afford it, you make purchases based upon what feels good and is of the finest quality so it will last. It's not about spending the extra dollars because you're trying to one up somebody. I could give a rats ass about what anyone else is wearing or doing. I typically wear something from Allen Edmonds or Alden. Most of the shoes I have from those two places run around 500. I also have a pair of Clark shoes that are comfortable as hell and cost me about 60 bucks. Again. It all depends. For a guy I have a shit ton of shoes. Of course that includes dress shoes, sneakers, hiking boots, sandles, boat shoes, walking shoes, fishing boots, etc. Hell I even have a pair of snakebite boots (I do alot of hiking, and bird watching outdoors).

t shirt- I'm assuming you mean some type of graphic T. I don't really wear those anymore. I do have a few collegiate T's I wear showing my pride in all the schools I've attended. What are they? Usually about 40 or 50 bucks or so? I'd say the MOST I'd spend would be 150.

sporty shirt- Don't know what that means really. I have several shirts from Lands End, LL Bean, Polo, and others. I'll say most I'd spend is 500.

suit- I have about 3 dozen suits. I think the cheapest suit I own cost me around 800. I have several Armani and Brooks Bros. suits. I also have 5 suits that were made for me. I think the most I paid for one of those suits was somewhere around 6,500.

vehicle- Again. It depends. The most I've paid for car to date has been about 180,000. Mrs. Vox got a new Porsche for our anniversary a few months ago (this makes number 3. She's become a Porsche hoarder). I have been jonesing very badly for 2012 Maserati so about 150 I guess.

house- Again. Depends. We had four homes. We have three now. The one we live in the most and is our "Home base" we had built for about 3.5m.

vacation- Depends, really. It would have to depend on where I were going and what I was doing.

computer- I don't know. 5k.

phone-Again. I don't know. I have an iPhone and a Samsung Infuse 4G Andriod phone. They both do fine by me. I'd say most I'd spend on a phone would be 600.

Just a study is what the values are of certain things to various people. I'll fill mine out at some point.
If I forgot something relevant, add it.

how much would you be willing to spend on sponsoring my next CD? It'll probably end up costing about 12 grand.

what do you and your wife do for work?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
Australian dollars

a pair of jeans - $60

a new coat - $50 (don't really where coats)

sneakers - $200

shoes - $150

t shirt - $50

sporty shirt - $20

suit - $350 (never owned or worn a suit)

vehicle - $30 000

house - $400 000

vacation - $500 (never go on vacations)

computer - $2000

phone - $100
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Kosmo

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2012, 04:47:14 AM »
 ??? You're Australian? Always got a swede vibe from you.  :lol

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 05:27:19 AM »
a pair of jeans - £20 and will last me 2 years typically :D
a new coat -  Heavy winter coat is thick end of £100, as they last forever, lighter jackets about half that
sneakers - around £60, I only ever use 1 pair so makes sense to buy quality
shoes - around £60, and will last me until I die at this rate
t shirt - £20
sporty shirt - If I need sports gear I go cheap. Really cheap. Like £3 cheap.
suit - My current suit cost me £30 (inc shirt and tie). If I was to replace it, I would go around the £100-£120 mark
vehicle - Bike, under £200 and sourced all the parts myself second hand and assembled it. Car, I don't own but would spend about £2000 if I was to buy one.
house - I rent, and pay £325 a month, would willingly go another £50 up.
vacation - Whatever takes all of my savings!
computer - £250 netbook ftw
phone - £13 a month, considering going a little more expensive as low end smartphones aren't really worth it.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 05:41:44 AM »
I keep laughing at the fact I wrote sporty shirt. I don't really know what that means either. I guess its a shirt that's a little nicer than a t shirt. A business casual type shirt you could wear with like a pair of Dockers slacks.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 05:46:39 AM »
and here are mine....

a pair of jeans  25 (I keep jeans for several years per pair)

a new coat  120

sneakers  60

shoes 80

t shirt 35

sporty shirt 35

suit  200

vehicle  15,000 (just bought a Honda Odyssey Monday with 60,000 miles for 12,500)

house 300,000

vacation 5,000

computer 1,000

phone 200 (for my daughter, not for myself)

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2012, 07:08:03 AM »
I keep seeing people say $100-$200 for a suit?   Is everyone buying them at Walmarts? Alterations alone usually run me $100 on any suit I purchase.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2012, 07:18:37 AM »
I keep seeing people say $100-$200 for a suit?   Is everyone buying them at Walmarts? Alterations alone usually run me $100 on any suit I purchase.
Honestly, I haven't bought a suit in 15 years. I paid 150 back then at Burlington Coat Factory. I don't wear suits so if I buy one its going to be as cheap as I can find that I don't mind how I look in it.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 07:26:56 AM »
Honestly, I haven't bought a suit in 15 years. I paid 150 back then at Burlington Coat Factory. I don't wear suits so if I buy one its going to be as cheap as I can find that I don't mind how I look in it.

I figured that was the case with most..( need a suit for a wedding or funeral..grab one off the rack   :lol)  My line of work requires me to wear a suite whenever we meet with clients I don't have a closet full but about 6 (I only update by when a men's warehouse or similar type store runs a buy one get one sale, but even than its usually about $600 for the first)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 07:48:29 AM »

I figured that was the case with most..( need a suit for a wedding or funeral..grab one off the rack   :lol)  My line of work requires me to wear a suite whenever we meet with clients I don't have a closet full but about 6 (I only update by when a men's warehouse or similar type store runs a buy one get one sale, but even than its usually about $600 for the first)
Of coarse if I wore them for work I would buy awesome suits, but to me it doesn't matter. I wouldn't however buy a suit at Walmart. That's just wrong.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »
I have a suit for job interviews and that's about it. It gets worn an average of once a year at best. No sense wasting money on that. Straight off the rack for me.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
I have a suit for job interviews and that's about it. It gets worn an average of once a year at best. No sense wasting money on that. Straight off the rack for me.
Do you change jobs once a year? :biggrin:

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »
Do you change jobs once a year? :biggrin:
No... but I have more than one interview every few years, so it averages out to once a year. :)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
Last time I wore a suit was for my wedding in 1995. I dress casual nice a lot, but my next suit wont be worn till I'm walking my daughter down the aisle. Ive been hired for numerous jobs wearing jeans and a nice shirt, we chefs are a casual lot.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »
Last time I wore a suit was for my wedding in 1995. I dress casual nice a lot, but my next suit wont be worn till I'm walking my daughter down the aisle. Ive been hired for numerous jobs wearing jeans and a nice shirt, we chefs are a bunch of slobs.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

a pair of jeans -- $50

a new coat -- $100 - $150

sneakers -- $30 - $80

shoes --same as sneakers

t shirt -- $20

sporty shirt -- $40

suit --  $500 No skimping on this

vehicle $16,000 -- $25,000

house -- I spent $201,000

vacation $3000 --$5000

computer $500 -- $1000

phone -- Not much  $50

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »

a pair of jeans -- $50

a new coat -- $100 - $150

sneakers -- $30 - $80

shoes --same as sneakers

t shirt -- $20

sporty shirt -- $40

vehicle $16,000 -- $25,000

house -- I spent $201,000

vacation $3000 --$5000

computer $500 -- $1000

phone -- Not much  $50
Until I become a professional(which will be never) their is no way I would pay 500 bucks for a suit. 300 max.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »
Well,  That's with 2 shirts, ties, socks and 2 different slacks.  It would have been in the $300's but you've got to have a couple different looks to your suits.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »
Well,  That's with 2 shirts, ties, socks and 2 different slacks.  It would have been in the $300's but you've got to have a couple different looks to your suits.
My fat ass would never fit in the suit I own anymore. Its been years since I have worn it.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »
a pair of jeans: $30 max

a new coat: Have you seen my hair??

sneakers: What is this "sneakers" you speak of?

shoes: $3.00

t shirt: $30 max

sporty shirt: DO NOT WANT

suit: DO NOT WANT

vehicle: Not old enough

house: Not old enough to move out yet :(

vacation: I wouldn't pay my parents would

computer: $500

phone: I *hate* cell-phones

Picky picky cheapy cheapy I know I know  :lol
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

I assume you're referring to the amount of fabric.(couldn't resist either :biggrin: )

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »
My fat ass would never fit in the suit I own anymore. Its been years since I have worn it.

That's why I had to spend the dough! :lol

I assume you're referring to the amount of fabric.(couldn't resist either :biggrin: )

Bastard! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »
??? You're Australian? Always got a swede vibe from you.  :lol

:lol  I wonder what gave you that impression?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.