Author Topic: Dream Theater to be on VH1 Classic's "Metal Evolution" as series finale?  (Read 12710 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: Dream Theater to be on VH1 Classic's "Metal Evolution" as series finale?
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 01:15:36 AM »
Great series overall, even if you didn't like it much, at least it gave metal some attention on mainstream TV, even if it was only an hour a week.

I really like Geddy Lee's line near the end that there's a lot of "empty calories" on the radio.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 06:53:55 AM »
Progressive Rock is the last episode!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »
Sounds like it would be a fun show to watch.  Shame its already ending. 

Offline VincentMDO

"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
I hope other parts will be uploaded soon.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
https://www.vh1.com/shows/metal_evolution/video.jhtml?filter=fulleps

Here's all the episodes, minus the power metal and prog metal ones.  I guess we just have to be patient for vh1 to upload them.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
Cool!  Guess what I'm doing for my lazy Sunday...

Offline TL

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 07:21:19 PM »
I watched it when it aired at 3am, because the novelty of seeing DT on Canadian basic cable was too good to pass up.

Overall the episode was okay. The guy putting the series together didn't seem to be all that into progressive, but he showed a decent level of interest, and gave it a fair shake.

There are a few things I would have changed, though this is coming from a very different perspective than his, so I'm not faulting his approach; rather, just adding my own take.
For DT's segment, I would have given specific mention to a song or two, or an album or two. Still, they came across quite well in the time they were given. The special also made it seem like DT was mainly a force in the genre in the early 90s. They were, but I'd say within the progressive scene, DT are still a pretty significant band.

I would have cut most if not all of the stuff dealing with Dillinger Escape Plan. Based entirely on what I saw in the episode, they don't seem significant to progressive music, or worth covering. I would have put something like Opeth in that segment (I mean, their name was literally next to DEP on the chart the show had drawn up). They're just much better, and I think they would have provided a better example of that element of prog.

I also would have included at least a passing mention of Porcupine Tree. Their style is a side of prog that wasn't even represented in the episode.

I know he was a fan of theirs, but Mastodon, IMO, received a bit too much coverage.

I did like how much focus was given to Rush. If any band deserves that kind of recognition, it's Rush.

Overall, it was a decent episode. I would have done certain things differently, but then music is one of the most varied and divisive things there is, so that more or less goes without saying.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 11:54:32 PM »
Set it to record on the DVR. I wonder who they will all interview
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »
I just watched the DT segment.  It's nice to see prog metal get some attention.  Small criticism, but I would have preferred that VH1 use a photo of the band that included Kevin Moore from the early 1990s instead of the Sherinian photo at one point, because they were talking about the I&W/Awake era and it's influence on prog metal.  They also should have used footage from the "Live in Toyko" video, IMO, instead of so much of the "Lie" video.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:29:49 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
The power metal episode is up on the VH1 site now.

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »
Quote from: VH1
Sorry, we're unable to offer this video to users in your region.

I lose.

Offline vulcandj

• There's too many notes.
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 09:40:51 AM »
I was watching the power metal show last night, and they showed the promo for the prog rock one. They had a small clip of JP's solo in the Lie video. I'll be DVRing it.
So I say to the horse, "why the long face?"....

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »
just finished watching it.

basically what they said:

DT took up the prog metal reigns after Queensryche started to fade. they fused the heaviness of Metallica with the musicianship of Yes. Both MP and JP were interviewed (MP in Boston and JP at the studio). They mostly showed clips of the Lie music video and Metropolis from Score.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 10:42:53 PM »
They didn't say anything else? Sounds pretty empty.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 11:14:42 PM »
They didn't say anything else? Sounds pretty empty.

5 minutes probably of DT, they had a lot of bands to get through

Offline vulcandj

• There's too many notes.
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:31 PM »
I watched it last night. Thought it was good. Opened my eyes to some new bands. Thinking I should give Mastodon a listen to.
So I say to the horse, "why the long face?"....

Offline Ħ

"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »
It was cool to see JP commentate on bands like Tool and Meshuggah and MP on Mastodon.

It was also kind of funny seeing David Bottrill and find myself saying: God what an asshole that guy is
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ħ

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
Wow. DT is the progressive metal band. And they got five minutes. Showcasing one of their worst songs.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
Watching this after HW!

EDIT: That was awesome.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:10:22 PM by WindMaster »

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »
Can't watch this in Greece. I hope someone is kind enough to upload it to youtube  :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 04:12:00 AM »
For those in the UK the series will be starting on Sky Arts this week I believe.

Offline champbassist

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2012, 06:32:36 AM »
Can't watch this in Greece. I hope someone is kind enough to upload it to youtube  :)

+1 Can't watch in India :(

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
Like all things, it could have used more Dream Theater.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 12:20:21 AM »
I would have cut most if not all of the stuff dealing with Dillinger Escape Plan. Based entirely on what I saw in the episode, they don't seem significant to progressive music, or worth covering. I would have put something like Opeth in that segment (I mean, their name was literally next to DEP on the chart the show had drawn up). They're just much better, and I think they would have provided a better example of that element of prog.

Yo, I agree completely. He was also wearing an Opeth shirt at one point in the episode. It's possible that he just couldn't secure an interview with any of the band members.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2012, 08:54:29 AM »
Was over a friend's for dinner and happened to catch this. I like the docs this dude has made in the past, but the show seems a bit crammed. Plus in the docs, he explores the impact and such of the music movements, where as here its just pretty much factual history. Still, neat to see. Wish I had cable so I could watch other episodes.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »
I watched the nu metal one since I have a soft spot for nu metal....I appreciate his honesty when he made it clear that he doesn't like the genre, but it was an obvious detriment to the episode. Almost half of it focuses on the riot at Woodstock 99 caused by Limp Bizkit. That should have been mentioned, but to go into that much detail was unnecessary. And he didn't once mention Slipknot. WTF.

As long as I'm being a critic, I also have a problem with Sam's narration. It seemed very forced and robotic; it didn't sound natural at all. I've seen his other movies and his narration in them was much more relaxed and not quite so jarring. Based on what he's done before, I know he can do better than what's displayed here. Still, it's a daunting effort and I appreciate the amount of work he put into it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
Watched this yesterday. There should have been more DT. Also, was Chris Squire drunk during that interview?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
I think that's just how old British people talk. :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »

Yo, I agree completely. He was also wearing an Opeth shirt at one point in the episode. It's possible that he just couldn't secure an interview with any of the band members.
Whoah whoah whoah, to say The Dillinger Escape Plan aren't even worth covering is going way to far.  Listen to Option Paralysis if you don't feel they're significant to progressive music, hell their discography is mindbendingingly radular.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »
As long as I'm being a critic, I also have a problem with Sam's narration. It seemed very forced and robotic; it didn't sound natural at all.

Well, he IS Canadian... ;D

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2012, 02:28:22 PM »

Whoah whoah whoah, to say The Dillinger Escape Plan aren't even worth covering is going way to far.  Listen to Option Paralysis if you don't feel they're significant to progressive music, hell their discography is mindbendingingly radular.

I've heard Dillinger before. I think Opeth deserved the time a hell of a lot more than they did.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »
Did anyone els notice that MPs interview was in what looked like a bar and when they introduced him, he was walking over carrying a couple bottles? I was falling asleep while watching this last night so I may have to take another look, but that didn't seem right for a recovering addict.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2012, 02:51:12 PM »

I've heard Dillinger before. I think Opeth deserved the time a hell of a lot more than they did.
I mean I love Opeth, do not get me wrong, I love them, but Dillinger have had to work their asses off to get to where they are today, and I'm not saying Opeth hasn't either, but Ben Weinman works his fucking fingers to the bone to make his band shine, and I think that deserves mad respect and some attention.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:10:32 PM by Dark Castle »