Author Topic: Supernatural interactions.  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Supernatural interactions.
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
I wanted to make this thread after an hour car ride with my boss, and 2 other people, who are very spiritual. Only one of them is very religious, but all 3 of them believe in spirits, ghosts, etc... For a solid half hour they all were explaining their ghost or spirit encounters, and I just say there biting my tongue the whole time. Ghost sighting stories usually aggrivate me because I believe the brain is very susceptible to hallucinations. I usually just interpret these stories as people's brians playing tricks on them, or people seeing what they want to see. I can let these go without getting too riled up. I start getting really on edge (for lack of a better term) when ghosts or spirits start manipulating the physical world.

My boss was the worst of them. She lives in a 200 year old home, and she says that in that time over 10 people have died in the house. Her encounters ranged from very subtle to really complex. As she got into the conversation, her stories got more and more intense, almost as if she was fueling her desire to make up a good story, but for the sake of argument we'll assume she was telling the truth.

*Some of her stories*

She started by saying that the ghosts prefer her basement. She has several of those light bulb fixtures on the ceiling with the pull chains that turn them on. She regularly finds the chains wrapped around the bottom of the light bulbs.

One time she was lying in bed and realized she didn't turn the bathroom light of. She got into a dispute with her husband about who should get up and turn it off. During their semi heated conversation, she claims a ghost did them both a favor and turned the light off.

Another story she had was a time where she had an injured back and was home alone. She was sleeping and got cold. Her pain was so bad she couldnt reach the extra blanket at the foot of her bed. A ghost took the blanket and pulled it over her, and then kissed her on the forehead. 

I guess another time, she was sick and couldn't get out of bed to let her dog out. After a few minutes of her dog begging to go outside, the dog suddenly stopped whining. Next thing she knew, she heard her dog barking outside. She looked out the window, and there it was. By the time she got downstairs, the dog was back in the house, and the door was shut and locked behind it.

There was a time she heard on the radio while showering, that there were multiple robberies on the street her mother lived on. She frantically looked for her cellphone so she could call her mom. She looked everywhere and couldn't find it. She searched the living room high and low with no luck. After checking several other rooms, she returned to the living room. A deck of cards that were unopened, were now placed in a circular pattern on the center coffee table, with her phone in the middle.

*end stories*

Now, I don't believe for a second that any of these things happend. But I am going to pretend that they are all true and that spirits or ghosts can infact interact with physical objects. My question to everyone in the car was this... Why do the spirits only communicate with us through small acts? Why wouldn't they use their power to pick up a pencil and write us a note, or arrange the letter magnets on the fridge to spell things out? If I were a ghost, I feel like I would want to legitimately communicate with the living. Hell, I'd like to play a game of battleship or UNO every now and then.

What are your thoughts on the matter DTF?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Supernatural interactions.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:15:01 AM »
My girlfriend claims a demon stole her bible.

I do not believe that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »
If I were a ghost, I'd only manifest myself as a lens flare.

Seriously though, that lady's stories are just beyond any reasonable and plausible tale. Completely made up BS. I've heard plenty of ghost stories over the years (apparently our old house was haunted although I didn't witness it personally), and they've all been much more believable things like a noise or things moving/falling, but not such blatant displays of ghostly powers that showed some kind of conscious thought. The kind of thing you can easily put down to animals outside, or wind, or just something falling.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »
If something's interacting with the natural world, it ain't supernatural.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »
I don't believe in any of this nonsense.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »

That was my first thought as well. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe that there's the supernatural. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »
Although I don't really believe in ghosts or the super natural, I will say that I am quite the sucker for a good ghost story.

Something about it I find very intriguing and fascinating. Whenever someone starts telling a ghost story, for some reason all my logic and reason goes right out the window  :facepalm:

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 09:02:51 PM »

I do not believe that.
Normally that's just funny. Considering your views on religion, I find that story hilarious. Do you quote Richard Dawkins to her?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 09:04:57 PM »
 :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »

I do not believe that.
Normally that's just funny. Considering your views on religion, I find that story hilarious. Do you quote Richard Dawkins to her?

I don't keep up with that stuff, so I know absolutely nothing about Dawkins besides him being an atheist. Therefore, I'm not sure if you're taking a jab at me, but if you are, I will simply say, you are a poop nose.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
All those incidents can be attributed to these guys:

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »

I do not believe that.

I don't keep up with that stuff, so I know absolutely nothing about Dawkins besides him being an atheist. Therefore, I'm not sure if you're taking a jab at me, but if you are, I will simply say, you are a poop nose.
:lol Sorry, bra. I just found the irony of your story worth commenting on.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
I don't believe in ghosts per se, but I do believe in the presence of good and evil, and there have been things that have happened to me that I cannot explain. One of them was when my mother died. She died very unexpectedly from a heart attack. It was on a Sunday. She lived in Oregon and was very active in her community and her church. On Sunday she was always abnormally busy and never home. I knew better than to call her on that day (this is pre cell phone here okay?). She would attend church in the morning and then was usually gone until very late in the evening (9 or 10PM PST). On this particular day, I picked up the phone and called her. Of course I got her machine, and I left a message. My girlfirend at the time came over and we settled in to watch football on TV and grill some swordfish steaks. I remember just prior to kick off I called her again. I just REALLY needed to speak with her. My girlfriend sat and listened to me leave another message and when I hung up she said to me "Tempus, you know your mom is NEVER home on Sundays". Even she knew my effort to reach her was pointles on that day. Still the urge to speak to her and call her wouldn't let up. I tried no fewer than four more times that day to reach her by phone. I was even leaving mesages like "Hey mom, it's me. I know you're not at home, and don't worry everything is okay, but just wanted to tell you I love you and wanted to talk with you. Call me ." Just before I turned in at 12:05AM (9:05 in Oregon), I called once more and her line was busy.  I remember thinking that "Okay, she's at least at home and safe. I'll call her tomorrow." What had happened was my mom and her fiancee got home about 8:30. She played my messages and told her fiancee she'd cal me in the morning thinking I was probably already in bed in NYC. A little while later she had her heart attack. The 911 call went into the communications center in Portland at 9:04 PM. When I called and the line was busy, my moms fiancee was speaking to the 911 operator. I don't think this is a coincidental random event. What it is, I have no idea. But I guess it falls under some supernatural or "extra" natural aspect.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:14:25 PM »

I do not believe that.

:lol Sorry, bra. I just found the irony of your story worth commenting on.

........ Are you calling me a demon?!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 03:13:42 PM »
My boss came into work yesterday claiming to have had another encounter. This one sounds so legit though. The day before yesterday, she had two different light bulbs burn out over a 10 hour period. This had to have been her grandfather trying to contact her because he used to work in a lamp factory.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 06:24:34 PM »
Ghosts might be real. They might not be real. I haven't seen good evidence for either side. /agnosticism
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 12:27:40 AM »
I have a coworker (who is also a pathological liar) who swears his house is haunted.  But it's not a 200-year-old house that people have died in, it's a shitty row home in suburbia that was probably built in the 70s.  But he swears that a ghost chased him down the stairs and out the front door once and that his mother and girlfriend would both confirm this story.

I don't really believe in any of this stuff, but if any of it's true, it's too watered down by the zillions of people that just make up ridiculous stories.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 05:07:41 AM »
My friend's sister sees ghosts apparently. My friend just randomly came out with it a couple of months ago, and we were all quite surprised cos he's a very scientific guy and wouldn't really be the type to believe in supernatural things, but he completely believes that his sister does actually see ghosts.

I'm not really convinced.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:22 AM »
My boss came into work yesterday claiming to have had another encounter. This one sounds so legit though. The day before yesterday, she had two different light bulbs burn out over a 10 hour period. This had to have been her grandfather trying to contact her because he used to work in a lamp factory.

FTFY

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:15 AM »

Chino, I'm sorry man, but..... :rollin
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 05:38:22 PM »

Need I say more?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
This is the avatar I've been waiting for.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 06:19:57 PM »
One of my old managers had told me our projection booth was scary at night because when the projectors were off she could hear ghost voices.

I told her that was just the people leaving downstairs leaving their movies with the sound coming through the air vents and it was just easier to hear with half the stuff shut off upstairs when you're closing. She wouldn't believe me until I pulled out my schedule and showed her that the ghost appearances corresponded exactly with several minutes before a show's end-time (since people leave when the credits roll).

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Of course it's all non-sense. If someone believes in this they are irrational. If they claim to have experienced supernatural activities, they are either hallucinating or on drugs and need to see a psychiatrist.

It's pretty alarming that over 400 years into the scientific revolution, people still believe in "magic".

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »

Exactly. And that's why ghosts are completely natural.