Author Topic: The 84th Academy Awards Thread v. BILLY CRYSYTAL  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The 84th Academy Awards Thread v. BILLY CRYSYTAL
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »
Generally I found 2011 to be a pretty weak Movie-year. At least compared to 2010. And 2012 has so many movies I'm excited about, that 2011 just looks dull in comparison.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »
Yes, I'm clearly a retard who didn't understand the story. Oh, wait, that's not what I said at all.
The film itself WAS an homage. This may shock you, but I actually was able to follow that plot. I am aware of the effect the transition from silent film to talkies had on many of the stars of the time. I asked what I apparently missed, not for a synopsis of the very easy to understand story.

Newsflash; an homage can have an original story, and its own themes. Also, I didn't say I didn't "dig" The Artist. I specifically mentioned that I liked it quite a bit. I didn't say it had no substance; I said that it had less than some of the other nominees.

It was an homage that did a great job of telling a story pertaining to the very thing they were paying tribute to. Being an homage doesn't preclude it from having themes. I still don't see how someone could watch The Artist and Hugo, and declare The Artist to be better while keeping a straight face.

Maybe stop being so condescending for a second, and giving history lessons on things anyone discussing the film would already know, and actually read what I wrote.
WTF dude chill out!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 03:16:21 AM »
So I heard Adele won like six of these things.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
The Artist was a phenomenal movie and deserved to win.  For anyone who has ever seen silent films from that era and realizes it was much too common for someone like George Valentin to get forgotten in the era of Talkies, it was appropriate and accurate.  If you didn't have the right voice type you were out of a job.  And it was true, a lot of people thought that talkies would just be a joke, especially The Jazz Singer. 

Much more accurate (though less funny) than Singin' In The Rain, btw. 

The Artist is an excellent silent film, and I hope we see more silent films in the future.  I miss seeing films like The Kid and City Lights on TCM, it doesn't happen enough.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
I haven't seen The Artist, so I can't comment on its quality.

But it seems the main two arguments for it being so good are "It's a silent movie" and "It's story is very accurate".

I don't see how either of these things are reason enough for it to be considered so good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »
Based on what, Splent's post? I've already said quite a bit about why I find it so great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
Based on what, Splent's post? I've already said quite a bit about why I find it so great.

Yes, but you know I don't pay much attention to what you say rich. Your lips have more important matters to attend to with me.

And no, this has been my observance from different sources. I'm sure it's a fine movie, but it's medium and authenticity shouldn't play a role.
fanticide.bandcamp.com