Author Topic: When you write vocal melodies....  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Ħ

When you write vocal melodies....
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »
Do you write the melody before writing the lyrics, or do you write the lyrics first?  Or do you have an idea what the lyrics are going to be about, then write the melody, then write the specific lyrics?  Obviously there's no magic formula and you can do whatever you want, but what would be the best approach for a beginner?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: When you write vocal melodies....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »
It just happens, like when hefdaddy created the heavens and the earth.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »
I think it depends... I'm a singer/lyricist who can't play an instrument, but I have a guy who I work closely with who can. Now, sometimes he'll send me a piece of music, in which case I'll immediately set about creating the melodies. However, sometimes I'll feel inspired and the lyrics will just come pouring out. In the latter case, I always try and be mindful of the rhythm of the words, so that when the time comes to put a melody to them, the task is a lot easier.

Like you said though, there ain't no magic formula and the best approach obviously depends on the person.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »
I fit lyrics to melodies.  Rarely the other way around. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:19:36 AM »
I'm a grindcore vocalist so not sure if this will help but I wrote lyrics and we're working on the instrumentals now, and if need be I'll go back and tinker with lyrics if they don't fit.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
I've been paying attention to vocal melodies a lot more now.  It seems that most phrases start with a very quick upbeat, and the second syllable/word is on the beat. Is there a name for this technique?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »
I also do melodies first and then will write the lyrics.