Author Topic: Being interesting/confident  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Ħ

Being interesting/confident
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:14:40 PM »
It's no secret that some people are more interesting than others.  There's always the guy/gal at the table that gets all the looks, and it's not always because they're great looking.  They have social capital, charisma, or something else.  What is it?  How do you get like that?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:31:30 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Being interesting
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:18:24 PM »
a hard knock life
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »
I think Andy has an alternate account...or a twin...or maybe a distant cousin.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »
That's probably a slight at Andy at this point, but I really am curious to know what "it" is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:41:12 PM »
It is hard to define.  But a large part of it is a combination of two things: self-confidence and not caring what other people think.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
And honestly, nobody is as interesting as my Father above me.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
It is hard to define.  But a large part of it is a combination of two things: self-confidence and not caring what other people think.

“People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think”
-George Carlin

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »
I dunno about the confidence part totally. I've been called interesting by alot of people, and I simply lack much confidence at all :P

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »
I would never want to be "that guy." I hate being the center of attention, and I don't want everyone looking at me. I'm much more comfortable just blending in with everyone else.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I think it's just a matter of being comfortable with who you are and not trying to forge superiority or that you're a big shot.

Those really loud, cocky, obnoxious guys that make sure you can hear their voice anywhere within a mile are usually pretty easy to see through quickly.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »

Yeah, definitely the above.

It's tough though because it also depends on the right mixture. You want to be self-confident without being cocky; interesting without being a topic hog; casually careless without being apathetic; interested in girls without looking desperate.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

This (although I would say that self-confidence encompasses not really caring about what others think of you). And also, actually having something interesting to say in the first place, which comes from experience/knowledge. Basically some level of social awareness that allows you to fit the situation.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »
I honestly don't care to talk to anyone about anything except music ("good" music, of course), philosophy, religion, and relationships.  I'd like to care.  But I don't.  People have so much to say about other things and I can't help but to just be silent.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
beta

Offline Ħ

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »
What?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 09:25:02 PM »
Like everyone else said, be confident.

Also, go out and do stuff. Meet new people, try new things, follow your passions.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »
Confidence is the main word in most of the posts here.  What are some other ways to be confident besides not caring what other people think?

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »
"good" music, of course
Thats your first problem. Get off of your high horse, the music that you listen to does not really define you, if you keep on labeling people for the music they listen to you would miss on a lot of great people.
 So if you want to be the center of attention(Wich is kind of stupid) you should probably stop with the  musical snob(yes i said it) pseudo intellectual philosophy and religion stuff, because no one that is popular talks about that.
My advice to you is to be yourself, because if you want to be the center of attention you would never ever talk about what you like. Talk about the things you like with people that like the same stuff as you, and that way you can actually feel comfortable and confident about yourself.
Just be yourself, thats way better than trying to be that popular guy or that mysterious fella in the corner, because if you keep on trying to change who you are, you are just going to enter on a self loathing cicle, you will always be trying to change and be "better" to fit on that "popular" spot, and that my friend, by the things you have been popsting and asking lately is not what you need.   

I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Being interesting/confident
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »
Be yourself. 

Not everyone can be that popular guy at the head of the board of executives, nor the sullen, well-versed alcoholic in the parlor.  My grandfather was naturally swell at being a social guy and got real high up in the ranks when he was in the corporate world.    I, on the other hand, know very well that I'm not that person.  I'm more oriented towards tasks and following orders, as well as being more comfortable with smaller groups of people.  I'm not a pushover and can project myself when necessary, but I am aware that I'm necessarily executive or leadership material.  I'm perfectly happy with that, because I enjoy knowing where my strengths lie and can then act on them.

Try and figure yourself out and work from there. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 02:47:59 AM »
I'm thinking of the people who get my attention instantly .... see some common attributes....

They love themselves... they don't have any concerns about impressing people... well this also translates as not caring what other people think so I also tend think it's a significant component... it helps you to be your true-self, relax and shine...

They also love people!....  not for what they listen to or where they work at, how much money they make, who they know......only for who they are basically...

Coming from a 'insanely jealous women world', I have to throw 'not being jealous of others' to the equation....  these cool people don't get intimidated just because there's a better-looking guy in the room or someone with a better job... better educated, richer, celebrity.. whatever... they keep the cool, enjoy being around that better person... and keep shining... the chances are that they receive more attention than that better person too...

...and of course there's personalities... some people are just born to be stars... they radiate energy and shine... they are the extraverts... they enjoy being in the limelight... the more they relish the attention, the more they shine and so on...

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 03:09:07 AM »
"good" music, of course
Thats your first problem. Get off of your high horse, the music that you listen to does not really define you, if you keep on labeling people for the music they listen to you would miss on a lot of great people.
 So if you want to be the center of attention(Wich is kind of stupid) you should probably stop with the  musical snob(yes i said it) pseudo intellectual philosophy and religion stuff, because no one that is popular talks about that.
My advice to you is to be yourself, because if you want to be the center of attention you would never ever talk about what you like. Talk about the things you like with people that like the same stuff as you, and that way you can actually feel comfortable and confident about yourself.
Just be yourself, thats way better than trying to be that popular guy or that mysterious fella in the corner, because if you keep on trying to change who you are, you are just going to enter on a self loathing cicle, you will always be trying to change and be "better" to fit on that "popular" spot, and that my friend, by the things you have been popsting and asking lately is not what you need.   

This so much.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 04:54:53 AM »

I always thought it was my giant penis. Damn.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 06:52:02 AM »
I'm thinking of the people who get my attention instantly .... see some common attributes....

They love themselves... they don't have any concerns about impressing people... well this also translates as not caring what other people think so I also tend think it's a significant component... it helps you to be your true-self, relax and shine...

They also love people!....  not for what they listen to or where they work at, how much money they make, who they know......only for who they are basically...

These two points!

I used to be very shy when I was HS but when I graduated I starting opening. To me confidence comes from me feeling comfortable with what I'm doing and who I am, I'm not flawless but I learned comparing myself to others is a losing game.

Also talking to people helps, you don't have to be the center of attention but if you just go up and talk to people you'll find that 99% of them at least have something interesting to say, if you're open to hear what they say.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 07:01:05 AM »
"good" music, of course

Well said. :clap:

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 07:22:59 AM »
"forging superiority"

good line.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »
Just ignore everyone and sit by yourself in a corner pretending that you're texting someone. Women love that.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 08:06:27 AM »
www.bedeceived.com

*compensated spokesperson

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 08:09:44 AM »
GODDAMN IT!! I was coming into the thread to make that same joke, antigoon!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 08:11:01 AM »
www.bedeceived.com
I actually thought of this coming into the thread but I must have forgotten about it by the time I got around to making a post :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 08:54:51 AM »
same joke, antigoon!!

???

I wasn't aware that Icy's professional advice was a joke.

Actually, I think the joke here is that you think it is a joke.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 08:59:31 AM »
same joke, antigoon!!

???

I wasn't aware that Icy's professional advice was a joke.

Actually, I think the joke here is that you think it is a joke.

That's it, James, I am forever reading every post of yours in sarcasm green. I can't do this anymore.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »
I'm not being sarcastic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »

“People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think”
-George Carlin
Maybe, but I don't care what he thought either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.