Author Topic: Blue Oyster Cult official thread (listening party late Oct/early Nov 2021)  (Read 17184 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Some of the dudes in that band photo look like they were born well after the band was.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yeah, the Bouchard brothers are long gone, and Allen Lanier died in 2013, so that leaves Buck Dharma and Eric Bloom as the only two left from the classic era.  I doubt anyone expects this to touch their great albums of the past, but I am expecting at the very least a handful of really good B.O.C. tunes (nearly every B.O.C album has a handful of great songs, even the least best albums), and with the two main singers and Buck's guitar still at the core, I suspect it will still sound very B.O.C.-ish.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Blue Oyster Cult - The official thread (studio album coming in Oct '20!!)
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2021, 09:22:51 PM »
Not sure if there are any B.O.C. fans left here, but they are the next band a friend and I are doing a deep dive from start to finish (we finished Maiden last week).  I'd be up for any chatter about the albums here as well, if anyone is interested, but given that their first album in nearly 20 years last year generated zero discussion, I am guessing what fans they had here are long gone. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2021, 10:24:00 PM »
They have a handful of songs that I like I lot, and I have a few albums, but I never got super into Blue Oyster Cult.  I guess they were a band I considered kinda cool but nothing special.

Offline HOF

« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2021, 10:53:15 PM »
I know 4 BOC songs:

(Don’t Fear) the Reaper
Burnin’ for You
Godzilla
Harvest Moon

I always thought the line “time everlasting, time to play B sides” was great. There was a really bad movie called Stoned Age that I remember watching once where The Reaper was considered by the main characters to be the greatest song ever. I think at one time I thought it was a really great song, but I think it kind of became a bit cliched or something. Maybe more because of the cowbell skit. Anyway, I’ve never explored the band past those 4 songs. It probably had more to do with their occult imagery than anything.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2021, 05:35:27 AM »
I've recently gotten into them. They are nowhere near my favorite band, but I can have a good time with one of their albums.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2021, 07:11:07 AM »
The first BOC song I remember was "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll".  I loved that slow driving beat and the fact that the cities are "on flame" rather than "on fire".  Hey, this was junior high.  So I bought the album.  The title "She's as Beautiful as a Foot" cracked me up, but the song was nothing special.  Some of the other titles were clever and/or interesting, but the songs were merely okay.  It's an album of okay rock and roll.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2021, 07:14:18 AM »
I don't genuflect to their debut (the one with Cities on Flame...) like many fans do, but it's a solid record.  Then Came the Last Days of May is a killer song, but the studio version is short.  It became much more of a beast live when the guitar solo was expanded.  The version from 1975's live album On Your Feet Or On Your Knees is money.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online nick_z

« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2021, 07:14:32 AM »
I'm a fan  :) I haven't actively listened to them in a little while (except for lending an ear to their last album, which wasn't bad), but I have all of their albums and at some point a few years ago I was quite into them (that was the time when I discovered them).

I can't say I know the intricacies and the background of their history, but the run from Tyranny and Mutation through Fire of Unknown Origin is pretty amazing. Plus there are redeeming features in albums that are generally considered lesser entries in the discography. And I really like Imaginos, despite the fact it's not really a BOC album  ;)

Anyway, I'd be happy to follow if you post comments as you do your deep dive - might be a good chance for me to rediscover them as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2021, 07:20:13 AM »
Okay, cool.  :tup :tup

And I get why some may not find this band particularly special. They never had a Moving Pictures or Who's Next, ya know that wildly successful album that both the masses and diehards went nuts over.  Most of their albums fall in the good to very good range.  There are just so many good songs over the years.  Even the lesser albums I can listen to and find a handful of songs I love returning to often, although the jury is still out for me on 2020's The Symbol Remains, the majority of which was pretty forgettable.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2021, 01:17:33 PM »
I dig 'em.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2021, 01:25:38 PM »
Is their new album still coming out in October '20?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2021, 01:48:44 PM »
I Love the Night is one of my favorite ballads by any band/artist.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2021, 04:10:23 PM »
The BOC album that our guitarist Ruben played a lot was Secret Treaties.  In junior high, we did a lot of hanging around at Ruben's, smoking things that were illegal at the time, and listening to Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, KISS, and other mid-70's rock and roll.  Good old Hard Rock, before there was metal.  We were vaguely aware that there was something out there that girls liked called "soft rock" but that's just stupid, and an oxymoron to boot.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2021, 04:14:51 PM »
I Love the Night is one of my favorite ballads by any band/artist.

That was one of the songs that really got me to love BOC back in the early 90s.  A couple friends used to play them often, and eventually the songs got in my head and I wanted to listen to them on my own.  I Love the Night and Black Blade were two that really stood out.

The BOC album that our guitarist Ruben played a lot was Secret Treaties.  In junior high, we did a lot of hanging around at Ruben's, smoking things that were illegal at the time, and listening to Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, KISS, and other mid-70's rock and roll.  Good old Hard Rock, before there was metal.  We were vaguely aware that there was something out there that girls liked called "soft rock" but that's just stupid, and an oxymoron to boot.

Secret Treaties appears to be the consensus most highly ranked BOC album just about everywhere.  And it is very good.  It's not my favorite, but I can see why it gets the highest rating.  Interestingly, it's the only BOC album where Buck Dharma does not have a single lead vocal.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2021, 10:38:44 PM »
Not sure if there are any B.O.C. fans left here, but they are the next band a friend and I are doing a deep dive from start to finish (we finished Maiden last week).  I'd be up for any chatter about the albums here as well, if anyone is interested, but given that their first album in nearly 20 years last year generated zero discussion, I am guessing what fans they had here are long gone. :lol

There was some discussion of The Symbol Remains in the B.O.C. Discography thread.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41614.msg2711396#msg2711396

Online nick_z

« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2021, 08:56:13 AM »
Secret Treaties appears to be the consensus most highly ranked BOC album just about everywhere.  And it is very good.  It's not my favorite, but I can see why it gets the highest rating.  Interestingly, it's the only BOC album where Buck Dharma does not have a single lead vocal.

That's the feeling I always got too, and I would include myself in that group  :) It might be a relatively obvious choice, but I love that album.

Offline ShadowWalker

Re: Blue Oyster Cult official thread (listening party late Oct/early Nov 2021)
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2021, 01:15:13 PM »
I just saw them live last Friday night in Leesburg VA. Good show marred by some technical difficulties that sapped some of the show's momentum. I was pleasantly surprised that they were promoting new material, playing four songs from The Symbol Remains in a 17-song set. If you get a chance to see them, I would recommend it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2021, 07:11:52 PM »

That's the feeling I always got too, and I would include myself in that group  :) It might be a relatively obvious choice, but I love that album.

It is a really good album.  For me, Cultosaurus Erectus, which has probably four of 10 favorite BOC songs, is nearly impossible to equal or top.

I just saw them live last Friday night in Leesburg VA. Good show marred by some technical difficulties that sapped some of the show's momentum. I was pleasantly surprised that they were promoting new material, playing four songs from The Symbol Remains in a 17-song set. If you get a chance to see them, I would recommend it.

Hell yeah!  I wish they would come to St Louis again.  From 1994 to 2003, I saw them seven times, but have not seen them since.  I need me some live BOC again.  :metal :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2021, 07:26:42 PM »
I'm a fan  :) I haven't actively listened to them in a little while (except for lending an ear to their last album, which wasn't bad), but I have all of their albums and at some point a few years ago I was quite into them (that was the time when I discovered them).

I can't say I know the intricacies and the background of their history, but the run from Tyranny and Mutation through Fire of Unknown Origin is pretty amazing. Plus there are redeeming features in albums that are generally considered lesser entries in the discography. And I really like Imaginos, despite the fact it's not really a BOC album  ;)

Anyway, I'd be happy to follow if you post comments as you do your deep dive - might be a good chance for me to rediscover them as well.
This is pretty much me to a T.

I'd definitely follow and listen along.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2021, 07:45:08 PM »
A few notes on the debut:

I like it, but I don't think it is one of their better albums, unlike many fans.  There are probably nine BOC studio albums I like more than this one.

Then Came the Last Days of May is a favorite of mine, although it is much better live with the extended guitar solo. 

Also a big fan of Before the Kiss, A Redcap.  Other favorites are Cities on Flame..., Transmaniacon MC, Workshop of the Telescopes and Redeemed.

Stairway to the Stars has a nice riff, but I've never thought the rest of the song was anything better than average, yet it's a song they play live pretty regularly. 

Overall, a nice listen, and even the lesser tunes sound good within the flow of the record. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2021, 07:46:46 PM »
Secret Treaties is my favorite album from BOC.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2021, 06:22:54 AM »

I like it, but I don't think it is one of their better albums, unlike many fans.  There are probably nine BOC studio albums I like more than this one.

Then Came the Last Days of May is a favorite of mine, although it is much better live with the extended guitar solo. 

Also a big fan of Before the Kiss, A Redcap.  Other favorites are Cities on Flame..., Transmaniacon MC, Workshop of the Telescopes and Redeemed.

Stairway to the Stars has a nice riff, but I've never thought the rest of the song was anything better than average, yet it's a song they play live pretty regularly. 

Overall, a nice listen, and even the lesser tunes sound good within the flow of the record.

I'm a fan of the entire album. I even like Screams and She's As Beautiful As A Foot, which a lot of people aren't too keen on. If the production were better I'd put the album in the top five.

For me, Cultosaurus Erectus, which has probably four of 10 favorite BOC songs, is nearly impossible to equal or top.

:tup :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2021, 06:26:04 AM »
Screams does a good job of keeping the vibe going, but doesn't have much meat on its bones, IMO.  She's as a Beautiful as a Foot isn't notable, but there are elements of it I like a lot.

Will say more later today, but I gave Tyranny and Mutation a fresh listen last night and wow I think I had underrated it.  I always knew it was good, but it sounded better than ever.  :hat :hat

Online nick_z

« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2021, 07:54:03 AM »

Gave the debut a fresh listen too. It's a very cool record. Production is not great, but it doesn't bother me. There's surely a classic early 70s feel, but there's already a good hint of that dark/eerie BOC vibe that they would develop more fully later on. Cities on Flame is definitely a highlight, with its "homage" (?) to Black Sabbath. Love the mood in Then Came the Last Days of May. And speaking of eerie, musically there's plenty of that in She's as Beautiful as Foot and Workshop of the Telescopes. I agree with you on Stairway to the Stars - it's good, but I'm not sure why it's such a live staple. Also - is the ending of I'm On the Lamb... a preview of the riff in the Red & the Black?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2021, 03:34:04 PM »
Also - is the ending of I'm On the Lamb... a preview of the riff in the Red & the Black?

Red and the Black is actually I'm On the Lamb, But I Ain't No Sheep sped up a bit...just without the "mush you huskies" bit, and a little middle jam added.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online nick_z

« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2021, 04:51:18 PM »
Also - is the ending of I'm On the Lamb... a preview of the riff in the Red & the Black?

Red and the Black is actually I'm On the Lamb, But I Ain't No Sheep sped up a bit...just without the "mush you huskies" bit, and a little middle jam added.

That's right  :facepalm: I remember now from way back...it's been a while since I revisited this. Having it in the background, as the closing riff started I went "this sounds familiar"...of course it did!

Thanks for the useful tidbit  :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2021, 05:12:11 PM »
Are you guys saying that BOC literally rewrote songs and released them later as other (new) songs, or is it more like the main riff and/or song structure is so similar that it's basically the same song, but not officially?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2021, 05:35:13 PM »
The Red and The Black is much faster and rocking than I'm On the Lamb..., but, while the music is different, it is essentially the same vocal melody, mostly the same lyrics, etc.  Not sure why they did that, but the songs are different enough to where they sound like different songs. I like both, but prefer The Red and The Black.

The only other time BOC re-wrote any of their own songs for a new album was on Imaginos when Albert Bouchard turned Subhuman into the song called Blue Oyster Cult, and then the new and faster version of Astronomy (which I still say is better than the Secret Treaties version).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2021, 06:04:03 PM »
A few musings on Tyranny and Mutation...

Hot Rails to Hell and 7 Screaming Dizbusters were my instant favorites from this, and both have held up well. Side 2 didn't grab me right away, but grew on me to where I love it almost as much as Side 1 now.

Teen Archer is one that I always liked, but never loved, until I saw them play it in 2000. Then I was like, holy crap this song is money!!  More killer bass work, and yet another killer lead riff.  I love how so many of their solos are almost like little snapshots, like they come to us in bite sizes rather than feeling the need to overdo them.  The breakdown at the end of the instrumental section is one of the best moments on the album, with the rhythm section allowed to shine with brief little solos.  And the way they come out of that last chorus and go back into the main riff and slow it down is so well done, and then, almost like they faked us out, they speed it up to end the song, before transitioning into Mistress of the Salmon Salt...Quicklime Girl!!!!

Incidentally, that 2000 show was unreal.  It was at Pops over on the east side (near all of the strip bars across the river in Sauget, IL) and they made up a lot of the set list as they went along. You could hear them talking in between songs deciding what to play next, and there were a few times when fan requests that were yelled out were played.  They played Unknown Tongue, The Vigil and Golden Age of Leather all at that show, three songs I never thought I'd see them play.  And the performance of Dominance and Submission, with the band singing "dominance" and then getting us all to sing "submission" was awesome.  And I remember a guy near us, some big dude who looked like one of those guys who rides around on a Harley every day, spent the whole show rocking out and drinking beer straight from the pitcher with his huge mitt wrapped around it.  :metal :metal

Online nick_z

« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2021, 06:45:42 PM »
The only other time BOC re-wrote any of their own songs for a new album was on Imaginos when Albert Bouchard turned Subhuman into the song called Blue Oyster Cult, and then the new and faster version of Astronomy (which I still say is better than the Secret Treaties version).

This is a tough call...I think I prefer the Secret Treaties version as it's so iconic...but the whole vibe on the Imaginos version is fantastic too. Better or not, it's a great re-interpretation for sure

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2021, 09:47:28 PM »

This is a tough call...I think I prefer the Secret Treaties version as it's so iconic...but the whole vibe on the Imaginos version is fantastic too. Better or not, it's a great re-interpretation for sure

I Prefer the Imaginos version too, although I did hear that one before the original version.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2021, 06:19:44 AM »
A few musings on Tyranny and Mutation...

Hot Rails to Hell and 7 Screaming Dizbusters were my instant favorites from this, and both have held up well. Side 2 didn't grab me right away, but grew on me to where I love it almost as much as Side 1 now.

Teen Archer is one that I always liked, but never loved, until I saw them play it in 2000. Then I was like, holy crap this song is money!!  More killer bass work, and yet another killer lead riff.  I love how so many of their solos are almost like little snapshots, like they come to us in bite sizes rather than feeling the need to overdo them.  The breakdown at the end of the instrumental section is one of the best moments on the album, with the rhythm section allowed to shine with brief little solos.  And the way they come out of that last chorus and go back into the main riff and slow it down is so well done, and then, almost like they faked us out, they speed it up to end the song, before transitioning into Mistress of the Salmon Salt...Quicklime Girl!!!!

I'm not as hip on T&M as the debut, but really there's only two songs I consider skippable; O.D.'d and Wings Wetted Down...still they are both interesting songs in their own right. I just don't need to hear them again.

It took me ages to come around to Teen Archer, but I'm in your boat now.

My favorite from this, which I consider essential BÖC, is Mistress of the Salmon Salt.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2021, 06:32:35 AM »
I actually think T&M is the best of the first three.  I listened to Secret Treaties twice yesterday and enjoyed it a lot both times.  Easily a top 5 BOC record, but their best? Nah. Better than Tyranny and Mutation?  Nah.  Flaming Telepaths and Harvester of Eyes are definitely two of my favorites of those early years, and it's hilarious to think that Patti Smith wrote the lyric "I'd love to do it your daughter on a dirt road" :lol from Career of Evil, another fine tune.  ME 262 is particularly great as well.  I don't skip it like I used to, but Cagey Cretins definitely stands out as an average tune on album full of otherwise all winners.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2021, 06:51:19 AM »
Are you guys saying that BOC literally rewrote songs and released them later as other (new) songs, or is it more like the main riff and/or song structure is so similar that it's basically the same song, but not officially?

It was more organic than simply rewriting a song from the first album. On their first tour they were support for other acts and had limited sets. Over time they began to speed up "I'm on the Lamb..." and play the main riff with heavier power chords rather then the plucky guitars on the first album. They liked it better because it would get the audience going. By the end of the tour it became their opening number and had rewrote the whole middle section to showcase the band's chops. I guess they figured it would make a good opener for the second album now that it hardly resembled the original.