Author Topic: Blue Oyster Cult official thread (listening party late Oct/early Nov 2021)  (Read 17058 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blue Oyster Cult - The official thread
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »
Tell you what, why don't y'all just call me Gregg. Although, that may not be any easier!  :biggrin:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »
♫♫ Oh, here comes Greggory
♫♫ Little Greggory Peccary!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2013, 04:31:59 PM »
♫♫ Thee nocturnal gregarious wild swine

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
A peccary is a little pig with a white collar that usually hangs around between Texas and Paraguay, sometimes ranging as far west as Catalina.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »
♫♫Catalina, catalina

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2013, 05:01:37 PM »
Heh heh, I just noticed your signature.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »
I always figured that would be a private joke. It's actually kind of nice to know someone else understands it! :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
There are other Zappa fans around here.  We're a pretty diverse bunch.

I may actually have read you signature before, and not thought much about it.  But talking about Greggory Peccary, and seeing your avatar, suddenly it all fit.

(Technically, it's "Hello, Gladys")

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »
Damn, I saw there were a bunch of new posts in this thread and thought, "Cool, a bunch of more B.O.C. talk!"  And then I read this page. :facepalm:

Bastards. :biggrin: :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2013, 06:42:20 AM »
Sorry Kev! If it's any consolation, I listened to Fire of Unknown Origin for the first time in 12 years while Orbert and I were having that exchange. I never really put it on because I consider myself so familiar with it from back in the day that I could probably sing the entire album a capella. I was wrong, of course, there is subtlety and power to this album that I'd forgotten. I still really dig the vibe of Veterans Of A Thousand Psychic Wars  which for me is the best of the Michael Moore collaborations."Wounds are all I'm made of..."

Oh, and Orbert, I beg forgiveness! It's probably been even longer since I actually listened to Greggery Peccary...maybe 20 years.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »
I listened to Greggery last night, most just for fun, but also to double-check.  He goes through the steno pool "every morning" and greets each of them.  I still got the reference.

Also, "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" is a great song that I'd forgotten about.  One of my favorites from the Heavy Metal soundtrack.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
Veteran of the Psychic Wars is a great song; definitely a top 10 B.O.C. song, maybe even top 5.

How many of you guys know the last album, Curse of the Hidden Mirror?  A good part of it is certainly forgettable, but Stone of Love should have been one of those B.O.C. songs that should have been a live beast, but I don't think it ever was.  Same for The Old Gods Return, which they did play when we saw them on that tour; I was a bit bummed that it didn't get played the night they recorded the A Long Day's Night DVD.  Dance on Stilts was the only song from that record on it (the other great song on that record, mostly thanks to the awesome ending).

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
I listened to it once on Spotify last week but nothing stood out enough to make me rush out and order it. I'll give it another chance next week and see.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2013, 11:46:32 AM »
Honestly, just go to amazon or iTunes and buy those three songs I mentioned.  A few others are pretty solid, but those three are must-haves, if you are a fan of the band.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2013, 09:09:14 PM »
There are other Zappa fans around here.  We're a pretty diverse bunch.

I may actually have read you signature before, and not thought much about it.  But talking about Greggory Peccary, and seeing your avatar, suddenly it all fit.

(Technically, it's "Hello, Gladys")

I only have about two dozen Zappa albums so there are quite a few here who are more schooled on Zappa than I and I didn't really catch on into the late 1970s and didn't get more serious until about 1990.

As for Blue Qyster Cult. The last album I have is Heaven Forbid.

Didn't a few more guys leave after that?

In some bands, it doesn't really matter who leaves, but I think Blue Oyster Cult is one of those bands where it does matter.

At least it does to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2013, 09:04:54 AM »
See, to me, so long as they have Buck Dharma and Eric Bloom (and, to a lesser extent, Allen Lanier), they are in good shape.   I couldn't tell you the name of the drummer or bass player from any of the 6-7 times I saw them from the mid 90s-early 00s, but Dharma, Bloom and Lanier were all there, and they kicked ass every single time.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
I know for a while there they were picking up former Rainbow drummers as their drummer: Chuck Burgi and Bobby Rondinelli both played drums for them. Rudy Sarzo was the bassist for a few years, and these days Kasim Sulton from Utopia is the bassist. I think Lanier left around 2007 or so. So yes, the band is pretty much Eric Bloom and Buck Dharma these days. Which is kind of weird, since a lot of their best material was written by Sandy Pearlman and Al Bouchard, but BOC's been pretty much those two guys at the front since the 80s.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »
Founding Blue Oyster Cult keyboardist and guitarist Allen Lanier has died at the age of 66 after being hospitalized with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, according to the band’s official Facebook page. “DFTR sweet man,” the post reads, in apparent reference to their hit ‘Don’t Fear the Reaper.’ “We love you and miss you.”
Apart from a two year absence in the ’80s, Lanier was with B.O.C. from their inception in 1967 until his retirement in 2006. He co-wrote several songs for the group, including ‘True Confessions,’ In Thee,’ ‘Tenderloin,’ and ‘Lonely Teardrops.’ In November 2012 he rejoined his former bandmates on stage for the last time at a special New York concert commemorating the release of a career-spanning box set.
According to WebMd, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is a lung disease that restricts breathing, “caused by damage to the lungs over many years, usually from smoking.”
B.O.C. singer Eric Bloom paid tribute to his friend on his own Facebook page. Here is that statement in full:
“My great friend Allen Lanier has passed. I’ll miss the guy even though we hadn’t spoken in awhile. He was so talented as a musician and a thinker. He read voraciously, all kinds of things, especially comparative religion. We drove for years together, shared rooms in the early days. We partied, laughed, played. All BOC fans and band members will mourn his death. Ultimately smoking finally got to him. He had been hospitalized with C.O.P.D. It was Allen who heard some old college band tapes of mine and suggested I get a shot as the singer in 1968. A lot of great memories, over 40 years worth. Maybe he’s playing a tune with Jim Carroll right now.”

R.I.P. :( :( :(

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2013, 08:08:12 AM »
Aww, man. :(
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2013, 08:17:13 AM »
Ack. Sad news.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2013, 09:27:49 AM »
Bummer. :(

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »
Very sad about this news.  :(

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Offline Duke1

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
Just listened to the live album On your feet or on your knees from 1975, absolutely brilliant, what a great, great band.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »
I just saw this today: Buck Dharma posted a link to a new song on the official web site. Pretty funny stuff.

Offline rivulet

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2015, 11:49:15 PM »
Like the new Buck song.

On Your Feet has to be on the desert island of live albums. Subhuman, are you kidding me? Right next to Some Enchanted Evening. Astronomy!

Studio albums (in no special order)
Tier 1: Secret Treaties, Spectres, Imaginos (Nosferatu), Blue Oyster Cult (May), Tyranny and Mutation, Fire of Unknown Origin
Tier 2: Mirrors (The Vigil), Cultosaurus Erectus (Unknown Tongue), Agents of Fortune (Morning Final), Heaven Forbid
Tier 3: Revolution By Night (Take Me Away!), Club Ninja (Perfect Water), Curse of the Hidden Mirror (Stone of Love!)

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2016, 10:22:25 AM »
Mega-bump

I just read that Sandy Pearlman died :'(. I think it's pretty safe to say without him there would be no Blue Oyster Cult, or they would have at least been a very different band.

This is as good an excuse as any to listen to old BOC. R.I.P.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2016, 03:50:13 PM »
Dammit.  :'(

I've already left my love letter to Sandy in the discography thread so I won't go on about it here.

Enjoy the mother-ship, Sandy!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »
Despite being a big fan of the band, I am fairly ignorant about Pearlman and his contributions, other than being the producer, but R.I.P. regardless.

*cranks Golden Age of Leather*

:metal

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »
He was also their manager and wrote a ton of lyrics for the first 3 albums. I think the band kind of wanted to go their own direction so they started using less of his lyrics and eventually stopped using him as a producer. The whole Imaginos story was his, and if I'm not mistaken, I believe he originally assembled the band with the intention of them recording the entire Imaginos story in concept album form. I really wish the band would have gone through with it too, the story really intrigues me, even if I find it incredibly hard to follow.

Edit: I should probably clarify, the 1988 Imaginos album is only part of the story, there were supposed to be two more albums of material.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:53:16 PM by Imaginos »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2016, 08:15:48 AM »
Imaginos still has some of favorite songs under the B.O.C. banner ever, but when talking what their best albums are, it is so hard to rank it amongst the others since it wasn't a real full band effort like normal.  I have seen them like 7 or 8 times over the last 20 years and it remains the only B.O.C. album they never play anything from.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2016, 09:25:55 AM »
I totally agree. It's a great album but the only semblance of it being a Blue Oyster Cult album are the handful of tracks with Buck or Eric singing. It's weird listening to something like the title track or Frankenstein's castle, knowing that there's a good possibility no members of BOC actually play on those songs. But I think that just adds to the already mysterious nature of the album. I listened to the Albert Bouchard demos of Imaginos yesterday and it was pretty cool. Albert's vocals all the way through are kind of .....ehh. I mean, I love his voice, but he really wasn't the best singer of the group, and there are certain moments on the demo where he really struggles. It was also cool because there weren't all these layers of guitars and keyboards yet, so stuff like Magna of Illusion (one of my favorites) actually sounds quite different. Also, Gil Blanco County is a cool song and they should have tried to get it included on the final album.

While it's a shame that the band has essentially disowned this album, I can't really blame them, since it was never really their album to begin with, it was Albert's. Buck and Eric were only brought on board so it could be marketed as Blue Oyster Cult and be used to restart their career. Albert definitely seemed like the only one who was really into the Imaginos storyline.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2016, 08:42:32 PM »
Bouchard's vocals were more miss than hit for me. I'd probably like the original Cities on Flame... more if the vocals were better (and the debut album didn't sound like ass).  The new version they did of it on the Cult Classic CD in 1994 should have been an improvement, but that song is not made for Eric Bloom's limited voice.

I do like his vocals in The Revenge of Vera Gemini.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2016, 11:40:04 PM »
My favorite Albert performance is easily Dominance and Submission. Cool song musically with really quirky lyrics (even by BOC standards), and I think his voice just fits perfectly with the song. That's one that I think really loses something when Eric sings it live, just because no one can really sing it like Albert does.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2020, 08:33:07 AM »
B.O.C. to release their first studio album in 19 years this October!!  :hat :hat

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/blue-oyster-cult-to-release-first-album-in-two-decades-the-symbol-remains-in-october/

I am cautiously optimistic.