Author Topic: Blue Oyster Cult official thread (listening party late Oct/early Nov 2021)  (Read 17143 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
So, yeah, I think we definitely need an official thread for this underrated, and far too often overlooked, hard rock band. 

Sadly, this band is now know to many as just the band that had the cowbell song on the SNL skit, but they are so much more than that.  13 full length studio albums, all of which have at least several classic B.O.C. songs, and many of which are very good albums that are extremely enjoyable from start to finish.  I have seen them live more than any other band ever (except for Rush), and they never fail to deliver. 

Discuss away!  :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 04:10:29 PM by KevShmev »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Blue Oyster Cult - The official thread
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:28:32 PM »
I've had the pleasure of seeing them 6 times live.  A good friend of mine is a huge B.O.C. fan and got me into them in high school.  Got to meet Buck on the Club Ninja tour and he was very cool to talk to.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:42:59 PM »
We met Buck Dharma after a show a few years ago, too.  Nice guy, but fairly quiet and soft-spoken.  And he really is pretty short, despite the big shoes he wears to give him more height. :lol

Terrific guitar player, for sure, as well!  Buck's Boogie says it all. :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »
I was shocked to see how small he was.  My friend I told you about is friends with Al Bouchard.  So after idolizing them for years he's become a friend with Al.  Very surreal. 

We we graduated from HS two other buddies and I went to Ft. Lauderdale for the week and ever night we went to sleep listening to Dominance and Submission.  It was our theme song for the week. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »
Morning Final
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »
One of the most massively underrated bands in music. In part I think its because they suffered from something that happened to a lot of hard rock bands in the 70s-they had a hit single that wasn't really representative of their overall sound and it wound up being the thing most people remembered them by even BEFORE the SNL sketch-but Blue Oyster Cult created a ton of innovative, interesting music and managed to remain, at their best, still a hard rocking guitar band. They had more in common at times with bands like the Doors and Steppenwolf than they did with the metal bands they were marketed as being an American answer to, had some really magnificently surreal lyrics, and in Buck Dharma had perhaps the most overlooked guitarist in rock music. One of my favorite guitar solos period is the one he plays on the extended live version of Veteran of the Psychic Wars from Extraterrestial Live, that's just freaking amazing.

BOC's easily in my all time top ten of bands. Amazing, amazing band.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »
Very underated band.  I would say my two favorite tracks are "Burning for You" and "Take Me Away"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »

We we graduated from HS two other buddies and I went to Ft. Lauderdale for the week and ever night we went to sleep listening to Dominance and Submission.  It was our theme song for the week. :lol

:lol :lol :tup :tup

Morning Final

Now, there's an odd song to mention randomly. :biggrin:

One of the most massively underrated bands in music. In part I think its because they suffered from something that happened to a lot of hard rock bands in the 70s-they had a hit single that wasn't really representative of their overall sound and it wound up being the thing most people remembered them by even BEFORE the SNL sketch-but Blue Oyster Cult created a ton of innovative, interesting music and managed to remain, at their best, still a hard rocking guitar band. They had more in common at times with bands like the Doors and Steppenwolf than they did with the metal bands they were marketed as being an American answer to, had some really magnificently surreal lyrics, and in Buck Dharma had perhaps the most overlooked guitarist in rock music. One of my favorite guitar solos period is the one he plays on the extended live version of Veteran of the Psychic Wars from Extraterrestial Live, that's just freaking amazing.

BOC's easily in my all time top ten of bands. Amazing, amazing band.

Great post! 

It's true that they weren't the metal band that many perceived them to be, but they were never as mainstream friendly as a song like Burnin' for You would make you think. 

And hell yeah to their lyrics.  I always loved the creepy and bizarre vibe of a lot of their lyrics; Feel the Thunder is a prime example of this.  Great tune anyway, but the lyrics make it even better. 

I'll have to revisit that live version of Veteran... (one of my favorite BOC songs of any era), but as far as live stuff goes, I always love the extended solo Buck does in Then Came the Last Days of May.  That is some killer stuff. :coolio

I would say my two favorite tracks are "Burning for You" and "Take Me Away"

That guitar lead is so awesome; possibly their catchiest non-chorus musical moment ever!

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »
Grossly underrated band, sadly known only for a grossly overrated hit single.  BOC had some damn good albums in their time, and I've always felt they had a pretty big influence on the sound of a lot of 80's prog bands (like MYTH, Queensryche and even early DT) that they never really got proper credit for. 

Fire Of An Unknown Origin is just an amazing record.  So much variety on one disc, and it's all done so very, very well.  Veteran Of The Psychic Wars  (my favourite song ever written about Elric of Melnibone) and Heavy Metal - The Black And Silver FTW!  :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
Not really interested in ever seeing them live, but I've got about a dozen of their albums including....wait for it......Bad Channels and Imaginos (Hey! I love this album!)

Great music to chill to, which is pretty much the only reason I play anything by them generally one or two albums at a time.

I even have Buck's solo album Flat Out, which I always think about selling, but whenever I put it on I realize that would be a mistake.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
Yeah, Fire of Unknown Origin is really cool, can't say I've liked any of their other stuff (particularly early albums), but haven't heard them all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »
Imaginos is great!  I know many get hung up on the fact that there are tons of extra musicians on it, and that it really wasn't a true B.O.C. album in the most literal sense of the word, but I say, who cares?  It is a damn fine album, and tunes like Les Invisibles and In the Presence of Another World are among the best they've ever done.

I didn't care for their pre-Agents stuff for a long time either, rogerdil, but I eventually got into them over time, and Secret Treaties and Tyranny & Mutation are now probably two of my five favorite records by the band.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 12:13:42 PM »
My first CD was Some Enchanted Evening, nuff said.

And they wrote a song about Godzilla, fucking GODZILLA!!!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »
My first CD was Some Enchanted Evening, nuff said.

And they wrote a song about Godzilla, fucking GODZILLA!!!

This was one of the first vinyls I ever bought on my own

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »
Imaginos is great!  I know many get hung up on the fact that there are tons of extra musicians on it, and that it really wasn't a true B.O.C. album in the most literal sense of the word, but I say, who cares?  It is a damn fine album, and tunes like Les Invisibles and In the Presence of Another World are among the best they've ever done.

I didn't care for their pre-Agents stuff for a long time either, rogerdil, but I eventually got into them over time, and Secret Treaties and Tyranny & Mutation are now probably two of my five favorite records by the band.

Imaginos might have started as an Albert Bouchard solo album and it got Blue Oyster Cult's name stuck on it to try to help it sell better (funny how that turned out) but I think it's one of their best albums, no joke. And it took me a while to get into earlier BOC, but I bought Secret Treaties on a whim a few years ago and that turned around pretty quick.  :metal
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »
I just bought Agents of Fortune on vinyl. I'll give it a spin now

>:( I took the album out of the sleeve and it had their live album: On Your Feet Or On Your Knees. I should probably check the albums when I buy them.

Now I just have the album cover for Agents of Fortune....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:00:48 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »
We met Buck Dharma after a show a few years ago, too.  Nice guy, but fairly quiet and soft-spoken.  And he really is pretty short, despite the big shoes he wears to give him more height. :lol

Terrific guitar player, for sure, as well!  Buck's Boogie says it all. :metal
I've got a Buck Dharma solo record, it's pretty radular.

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 05:03:35 AM »
Secret Treaties is probably the most perfectly paced record ever.  It starts with a saunter, accelerates, explodes and fades away into the stars. And, the lyrics for ME262 are funny.  I probably would have been (wrongly) disappointed with Agents of Fortune if I was a teenager in the 70s. My latest from BOC is Spectres - it has so many good songs ...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 08:35:22 AM »
Honestly, I think Agents of Fortune is near the bottom for me when ranking their studio albums.  Sure, it is has Don't Fear the Reaper and E.T.I., two stone cold BOC classics, but it also has dreck like True Confessions (AWFUL), Tenderloin (er, what?) and Debbie Denise (dreadful).

Spectres, its follow-up, is definitely much better.  Godzilla, I Love the Night, Golden Age of Leather, Nosferatu, Goin' Through the Motions, etc. - all great tunes.  :metal

Offline Jaq

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
If someone made a case for Spectres being BOC's best album, I wouldn't argue the point with them. It's VERY good. Agents of Fortune is okay at best, it just has the hit. Spectres is flat out amazing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
Spectres is damn good, but I have never been crazy about Death Valley Nights and Searchin' for Celine, so it is hard for me to call it the best. 

Getting back to Shattered Glass' point about Secret Treaties, I agree that the pacing is immaculate.  I think the reason why I wasn't overly keen on it at first is the lack of punch in the rhythm section.  It is like Rush's Presto in that there is no balls or punch in the bass or drums as far as the mixing goes.  I got into BOC through a mixed tape from a friend which basically had Don't Fear the Reaper, Godzilla, I Love the Night and then the rest was from the 1980-1988 time period (minus Club Ninja, which he hated), so suddenly listening to the early stuff with inferior sound and a mix with no balls at all was a bit of a shock at first. But it grew on me over time.  Having my ass kicked by some of the tunes live definitely helped as well. :coolio

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »
So is the live album that I got instead any good?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »
The only Blue Oyster Cult I've heard is the "Don't Fear the Reaper" greatest hits record but I really like it. What would be a good first album?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »
Fire Of Unknown Origin. While I like a few BOC albums better, particularly Secret Treaties, Fire is the perfect way to ease into BOC's odd mix of quirky music. Their early 70s stuff takes getting used to, to say the least. After that I'd give Spectres a listen.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 05:48:39 AM »
The only Blue Oyster Cult I've heard is the "Don't Fear the Reaper" greatest hits record but I really like it. What would be a good first album?
That's all I've heard as well, but I love the hell out of every song on that disc. I really should explore more.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 08:17:47 AM »
That's all I've heard as well, but I love the hell out of every song on that disc. I really should explore more.

Ditto.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 09:10:24 AM »
Fire of Unknown Origin is definitely a good place to start, and I'd agree that Spectres is a good place to go after that.  Throw Cultosaurus Erectus into the mix, and you have the three best ones to start off with.  And actually, Heaven Forbid from the late 90s is also quite great; I could see that being a good starter one as well.   

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »
So is the live album that I got instead any good?

I like it, but that doesn't mean you will.

I wouldn't expect anything great from a production standpoint, but I like Blue Oyster Cult's live recordings...

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 08:10:08 AM »
I've finally managed to stumble upon some albums by this band. I've gone against the advice of the thread and started with the first album, and I plan on going chronologically. Since I've already heard most of the hits, I'm interested in seeing how they progressed from album to album. I really like it so far though. Buck is a seriously underrated guitar player.

Also, the jazzy section on Before the Kiss, a Redcap.  :hefdaddy
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »
Good to hear! I always love me some B.O.C. :hat

Keep us posted as you move along. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 11:17:05 PM »
Time for a bump so we can discuss more B.O.C. greatness. :hat

NP: Deadline (one of my favorites)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »
Oh, come on, I know there are fans around here! ??? :metal

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 08:07:06 PM »
BOC is great!  :metal

I'm not sure which album is my favorite. I haven't really listened to them in a while, but I love Cultosaurus Erectus and Secret Treaties.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »
Still flying the BOC banner over here; every time I listen to the new Ghost album, it pleases me greatly to see their obvious influence on Ghost. Like I said earlier in this thread, a criminally underrated band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »
Heaven Forbid is still pretty great, especially considering it came out 26 years after their first album.  Rock radio around here played Harvest Moon like crazy when it came out, and for good reason as it is an awesome song with a great solo, and songs like Real World, Damaged, See You in Black, Live for Me, Still Burnin' and Cold Gray Light of Dawn are all great as well.