Author Topic: Draw your own conclusion to this photo.  (Read 16182 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Draw your own conclusion to this photo.
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 05:25:53 AM »
and none of you really know for sure what that orb is. I could have drawn a red line from the sky to any place in the picture the orb was. That proves nothing. It may be lens flare, but Blob did not conclusively prove anything. but that isn't saying I don't think lens flare may not be what it was, I'm saying it hasn't been scientifically proven by anyone that it it. That my friends is reality.

No, that's your reality. The fact I could draw a line from the sun through other lens flares directly to the "orb" proves that it occurs along the exact path that the light reflects internally in the camera lens to create a lens flare. Lens flares follow along straight paths. It also happens to be the same shape and blurriness as the other flares on the image. As a 3D artist, it is part of my job to understand how a camera captures light and replicate these phenomena, so this picture is completely clear cut to me through real knowledge, not wishful thinking. Between this post and my last one with pics, I have infact given substantial evidence that proves my point.
The facts have been clearly laid out. You went out hoping to find something kooky in a photo, and now you choose to believe you got it. You are ignoring real evidence to believe in the supernatural, which is exactly what people who believe in these kinds of things do.

If this comes across as arrogant, tough. You asked us to make our own conclusions on the photo. I made my conclusion based on a strong knowledge of the principles involved in photography and logical reasoning. You have made up your mind based on wishful thinking. Which is the more intelligent approach here? Even if there is a 1% chance it's a magical orb (which there really isn't), it would be intellectually dishonest to try and dismiss the 99% reality that it's a lens flare.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 05:31:18 AM »
and none of you really know for sure what that orb is. I could have drawn a red line from the sky to any place in the picture the orb was. That proves nothing. It may be lens flare, but Blob did not conclusively prove anything. but that isn't saying I don't think lens flare may not be what it was, I'm saying it hasn't been scientifically proven by anyone that it it. That my friends is reality.

No, that's your reality. The fact I could draw a line from the sun through other lens flares directly to the "orb" proves that it occurs along the exact path that the light reflects internally in the camera lens to create a lens flare. Lens flares follow along straight paths. It also happens to be the same shape and blurriness as the other flares on the image. As a 3D artist, it is part of my job to understand how a camera captures light and replicate these phenomena, so this picture is completely clear cut to me through real knowledge, not wishful thinking. Between this post and my last one with pics, I have infact given substantial evidence that proves my point.
The facts have been clearly laid out. You went out hoping to find something kooky in a photo, and now you choose to believe you got it. You are ignoring real evidence to believe in the supernatural, which is exactly what people who believe in these kinds of things do.

If this comes across as arrogant, tough. You asked us to make our own conclusions on the photo. I made my conclusion based on a strong knowledge of the principles involved in photography and logical reasoning. You have made up your mind based on wishful thinking. Which is the more intelligent approach here? Even if there is a 1% chance it's a magical orb (which there really isn't), it would be intellectually dishonest to try and dismiss the 99% reality that it's a lens flare.
Post me a picture with a similar lens flare so I can see one.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2012, 05:40:21 AM »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Flag-lens-flare.jpg
https://www.photoaxe.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/lensflare.jpg
https://lh6.ggpht.com/_HaLsPP50p1k/Si5fWTAaXrI/AAAAAAAAP3k/xML8PE3fGEs/clud1386c.jpg
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.plews/Atonement/atonement/flare-%20atonement%20redcar%20-%20_jpg.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2007/06/25/38641_Lensflare-At-Sunset-Two_400.jpg
https://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/chris_elwell/chris_elwell0909/chris_elwell090900064/5525091-autumn-treescape-with-lens-flare-and-dramatic-clouds.jpg
https://tobkyphotographyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Lens-flare13.png

I don't know how exact you want it, but considering that lens flares are dependant on many conditions including the lens, the position of the light source, the sensor, the diffusion of the light (in this case through a cloud), I thought I'd just post a bunch of them so you can see the variety. For a two minute Google search, I think this is pretty thorough though.
You'll notice a lot of these also have strong spots far away from the sun position, in strong colours, in diffused circular shapes, all of the attributes in the image you posted.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2012, 05:45:13 AM »
Yeah that's so painfully obviously a lens flare.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2012, 05:53:33 AM »
lol at this

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2012, 05:59:46 AM »
Maybe it's a ghost disguised as a lens flare. What a troll.
Maybe what needs to be considered is, as cock sure as some are, you don't really know what that is. I want one anyone to post one of there pictures they have taken with something like that in it.
I'll be waiting.

I'll see what I can dig up - all our home pics are on my wife's computer.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2012, 06:48:51 AM »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Flag-lens-flare.jpg
https://www.photoaxe.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/lensflare.jpg
https://lh6.ggpht.com/_HaLsPP50p1k/Si5fWTAaXrI/AAAAAAAAP3k/xML8PE3fGEs/clud1386c.jpg
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.plews/Atonement/atonement/flare-%20atonement%20redcar%20-%20_jpg.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2007/06/25/38641_Lensflare-At-Sunset-Two_400.jpg
https://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/chris_elwell/chris_elwell0909/chris_elwell090900064/5525091-autumn-treescape-with-lens-flare-and-dramatic-clouds.jpg
https://tobkyphotographyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Lens-flare13.png
"Those are all orbs man..."

Also, Tick, you are talking shit and you know it. You even lied in the OP to make your case more believable. I'm willing to bet you didn't even meet up with any photographer friends but if you did I'm sure they told you that it's nothing and you just made this thread to prove that you are right. And when Blob rightly called you out on your lie all you did was accuse him of not believing what you say hence ignoring Blob's actual point being you are lying to make your story seem more believable.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:54:41 AM by kári »

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2012, 06:52:44 AM »
Here's a few that I found.  I'm sure those that need a scientific explanation will find it.  I'm not saying that there isn't one - I know it's very possible and probably that these are lens flares or something logical.  I'm also saying that there are things in this world that cannot be scientifically explained.  I used to be a nay-sayer, but over time I've seen, heard, smelled, experienced way to much to simply dismiss it, or find a scientific explanation to it.  Blob... I'm not saying you're wrong, especially given your profession, just that I believe in other "explanations".  To each their own.

White dot above the fireplace:

These could certainly be in line with the sun, although the second pic has two (and two separate colors).

These were all taken in a row.  Not sure how to explain the third one with the dot right against my pants.  And the "shadow" from the orb is going in different directions, on a different line than the reflection of the sun off the lake.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2012, 06:55:54 AM »
Here's a few that I found.  I'm sure those that need a scientific explanation will find it.  I'm not saying that there isn't one - I know it's very possible and probably that these are lens flares or something logical.  I'm also saying that there are things in this world that cannot be scientifically explained.  I used to be a nay-sayer, but over time I've seen, heard, smelled, experienced way to much to simply dismiss it, or find a scientific explanation to it.  Blob... I'm not saying you're wrong, especially given your profession, just that I believe in other "explanations".  To each their own.

White dot above the fireplace:

These could certainly be in line with the sun, although the second pic has two (and two separate colors).

These were all taken in a row.  Not sure how to explain the third one with the dot right against my pants.  And the "shadow" from the orb is going in different directions, on a different line than the reflection of the sun off the lake.

All of those are so obviously just lens flares except for the first one which is light from the flash reflected by a dust particle close to the lens.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2012, 06:57:22 AM »
jingle.boy, all of those are beach ones are picture perfect lens flares. There's nothing strange about those ones. Aside from the first pic, all of them are undeniably lens flares. I can't see what's going on in the first pic because of the size. Can you post a bigger one? It's not a typical lens flare. Can't say anything else without a full size pic.

And agreed with kári's conclusion on the first, although I can't say it for definite without a full size pic to analyze.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2012, 06:58:17 AM »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »
Reading this thread is painful. It's as if my bare flesh is doused with acid each time I lay my eyes upon any post in here.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2012, 07:04:46 AM »

All of those are so obviously just lens flares except for the first one which is light from the flash reflected by a dust particle close to the lens.

Seriously??? 1 single solitary dust particle?  Don't know about where you live, but where I'm from, there's millions of dust particles in the air.

I'm sure those that need a scientific explanation will find it.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2012, 07:08:46 AM »

Seriously??? 1 single solitary dust particle?  Don't know about where you live, but where I'm from, there's millions of dust particles in the air.

I'm sure those that need a scientific explanation will find it.

If you look closely there's another one above it on the top of the photograph. And no, of course there wasn't just that one particle. But that one was a little larger than most, right in front of the camera and just happened to have the right dimensions to reflect the light right back at the lens.

Next time it rains during the night open your window and take a picture using the flash, you'll see lots and lots of exactly those. It works with raindrops as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2012, 07:09:31 AM »
jingle.boy, it's not the dust particles in the air that cause it. It's dust particles on the lens. The light would have to catch it at the right angle to cause it, so even if there's more dust on the lens, it may not catch the light. The reason it looks so huge is because it's way out of focus. The camera isn't designed to photograph something literally touching the camera. Because it's out of focus, it's blurred to the point where it's relatively huge. There's another spot at the very top of the image in line with it that is much less bright because it's not hitting the light angle right on.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2012, 07:13:02 AM »
jingle.boy, it's not the dust particles in the air that cause it. It's dust particles on the lens.
Huh? Then why is it white? I don't think the flash could reach the lens directly.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »
To each their own.  We'll have to agree to disagree.  I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just posting my opinions/beliefs.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2012, 07:16:01 AM »
So you're saying it is more likely that it is in fact a spirit or whatever instead of a dust particle?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2012, 07:17:59 AM »
jingle.boy, it's not the dust particles in the air that cause it. It's dust particles on the lens.
Huh? Then why is it white? I don't think the flash could reach the lens directly.

Oh I think you're right. I think crap on the lens can cause spots if it's daylight, although not by the flash. Dust can cause this kind of thing in several different ways. The link you gave had a few different possible explanations. My knowledge doesn't extend to the flash. Carry on.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2012, 07:25:12 AM »
Some people want to believe in the supernatural so much, that they'll reject any rational explanation. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2012, 07:26:53 AM »
Some people want to believe in the supernatural so much, that they'll reject any rational explanation. 

And conversely, some people refuse to believe in it, so look for any rational explanation.

To. Each. Their. Own.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2012, 07:31:19 AM »

And conversely, some people refuse to believe in it, so look for any rational explanation.

To. Each. Their. Own.
Which turns out to be far more likely... Or do you consider it more likely that it is an entity which only appears on cameras where the flash is close to the lens, never on professional cameras with an external flash?

To each their own, I hear you. But sometimes a little common sense is all that is needed...

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »
All of those are ghosts! Lens flare is a lie!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2012, 07:35:43 AM »
All the pics you posted with the exception of the first one are all pretty conclusively lens flare.  The first one isn't lens flare, but its probably just as easily explained by someone who really knows how cameras work and how light works.  Its not refusing to believe in the supernatural (though it could be that Blob/Kari/others do this), its looking at the evidence, recognizing that its a perfectly normal natural occurrence, and solving the mystery of what that cool-looking orb thingie is. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »

To. Each. Their. Own.

There's the difference that the rational explanation is actually objectively explainable by facts and science, and can be replicated to prove it. We refuse to believe in something that is proven as something else.
I find it hilarious that some people here are looking at the most basic and explainable lens flares and arguing with such certainty that they could be something mystical, when not only are they common as dirt occurences, but the $150 lens flare plugin I use for all of my video work is designed to copy all of these explainable and calculatable artifacts with the click of a button. Hell, I've even programmed lens flares for games numerous times. My point is, I know lens flares. And seeing people take something so benign and try to suggest to me it's in any way unexplainable is laughable and uninformed.
I really don't know how much more kari and I can do here. We have posted numerous examples, links, explanations etc, and still some people are stubbornly refusing to believe how explainable this is.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2012, 07:47:03 AM »
Not to mention Photoshop may also be involved....

Is it just me or is the girl in the fireplace looking drectly at the "object" ?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2012, 07:49:42 AM »
 :corn
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2012, 07:50:32 AM »
Not to mention Photoshop may also be involved....

Is it just me or is the girl in the fireplace looking drectly at the "object" ?

I think that's just coincidence. jingle.boy is an honest dude, and I trust he's posting the original photos.
(plus he could have fixed up the red eye while he was at it :P )

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2012, 07:59:28 AM »

I wouldn't say that. It's just....the rational way of doing things.

Seriously! If I start running into trees and knocking myself unconscious, do you think doctors or even my friends (yes I have friends LOL) will start thinking "he is possessed it's a ghost omg this is beyond medical territory"? No way man! :lol :lol

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2012, 08:01:51 AM »
I can't believe this thread. I mean, seriously?

By the way, I have never heard the word "orb" before. How is it pronounced? I can only think of:

Not a flare but an...

Ooooooooooooooooorb

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2012, 08:03:27 AM »
I can't believe this thread. I mean, seriously?

By the way, I have never heard the word "orb" before. How is it pronounced? I can only think of:

Not a flare but an...

Ooooooooooooooooorb

:rollin
I'm not sure how many internets that one is worth, but you sure as hell have my respect.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »
I just took this from my bedroom with my phone. Draw your own conclusions:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2012, 08:26:04 AM »
Just the tip.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »
I'm really not liking the "double lamp" we have going on there. What is a supernatural explanation for that?