Author Topic: A project on concept albums  (Read 3816 times)

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: A project on concept albums
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »

As for Octavarium being a concept album, I do think it is a concept album (fuck you official forum definitions!), its just that the concept is more about the whole 5/8 divine proportion, along with musical themes (one song for each note in the octave).  I don't think that's enough to really cover in a paper, though.  The Incident would be easier, but it would just come down to "blah blah blah SW was fascinated with the word 'incident,' each song is about an incident for x reason" and would be pretty boring.

Theirs more than that. You've got the 5/8 on the artwork, the 8vm theme within each track. The influences of their favorite bands, which is part of the Octavarium. The whole theme of ending where you began

The problem is, outside of the title track, there's nothing about that in the rest of the album besides the first note in TROAE.

@Windmaster, The Incident (at least the first disc) is way more of a concept album than 2112 ever was.  :lol :lol

:lol I meant the idea that it is a long title track followed by non-relevant shorter tracks. But yeah it is.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »
BE by Pain of Salvation would be a really interesting one.
I haven't listened to much PoS, but the couple songs I found for that album on YouTube and such sounded really cool. It also has a cool concept. The only problem would be that it falls under the category obscure, at least to me. Would you agree?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »
BE by Pain of Salvation would be a really interesting one.
I haven't listened to much PoS, but the couple songs I found for that album on YouTube and such sounded really cool. It also has a cool concept. The only problem would be that it falls under the category obscure, at least to me. Would you agree?

Besides Pink Floyd, I'd say all the albums you're considering fall under the 'obscure' category :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »
Besides Pink Floyd, I'd say all the albums you're considering fall under the 'obscure' category :lol

This.  Which is why Pink Floyd and The Who should be the main emphasis points - because even if they aren't familiar with the music they should at least know of the bands and the albums you would reference.  Then use the prog bands back them up.  Mabool would be great to use because they are an Israeli band promoting peace among the three Abraramic religions so you could link the story telling to contemporary social issues.  I think there is a lot to pull from that album.

I would stick to concrete examples.  Remember, your audience is more than likely not going to be familiar with complex musical ideas or have the time to go listen to the music.  If you can't solidly back up your ideas with facts with sources like interviews and reputable sources your arguements will carry no weight even if you are making true statements.

I keep stressing audience because it seems people often forget who their audience is and instead try to communicate with their ideal audience.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »
Sounds good. Decided to do Quadrophenia, now I only need one more. I don't want to do another Pink Floyd (or two of the same band, for that matter). :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
Sounds good. Decided to do Quadrophenia, now I only need one more. I don't want to do another Pink Floyd (or two of the same band, for that matter). :lol
Excellent choice.  One of my favorite albums. 

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
mmmmm Quadrophenia.

What about My Arms, Your Hearse or Still Life for the last one?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
Hotel California is a good example of a concept album with a theme rather than a storyline, and a stupidly popular album to boot.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »
Read this:
https://dt.spatang.com/octavarium.php

Yeah well, that's an interesting read and all would be fine and dandy, except from the fact that the one who wrote that quotes NO official sources, and it's all basically based on popular belief rather than fact. I wouldn't base a project report (even partly) on that, because of the fact that the source is extremely unreliable :D Some of it may, and probably is, correct, but there's no way to tell.

Anyway, I'm surprised no one has suggested Ayreon yet. The Human Equation, for example? or Universal Migrator?

And why Quadrophenia, but not Tommy? ;)

Snow by Spock's Beard, perhaps?

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 06:27:29 PM »
You should pick an album by Metallica.  Any one of them will do.  They all share the general concept of relentless E-string pounding and muddy distorted power chords.

Agreed. I've always hated that one with the absolutely terrible vocals.

Orion, I think it was called

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 06:33:22 PM »
You should pick an album by Metallica.  Any one of them will do.  They all share the general concept of relentless E-string pounding and muddy distorted power chords.

BEST CONCEPT ALBUMS EVER

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »

I see what you did there.  Nice little jab.  :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 07:51:30 PM »
Anyway, I'm surprised no one has suggested Ayreon yet. The Human Equation, for example? or Universal Migrator?

You could bring up Ayreon in general, considering all 6 of the albums (Well, with some exception to Actual Fantasy) are self-contained concept albums of the narrative type, but they also all fall under an over-arching grand story that involves  the characters revealed in their last album 01011001. I think those albums are great examples of how different types of narrative concept stories can be used, and then all be tied together to make one HUGE story, something I think very VERY few bands have ever done.

I would also dare say you could bring up the cross-album concept, and reference things like Rush's "Fear Series", or the obvious choice, Dream Theater's/Mike Portnoy's "Twelve-Step Suite". While not really an "album" per se, these songs across different albums all connect into one theme or idea, and when put together could even make an album (well, at least for the latter).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 04:32:55 PM »
I'll definitely have something about cross-album concepts, like the twelve step suite.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 06:13:44 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 08:00:09 PM »
Yes, I confess my mistake.  I thought Orion was a generic Metallica song with horrible vocals and horrible thrash guitar.  Turns out it's just a generic Metallica song with horrible thrash guitar.  I'm not sure if the omission of vocals is a good or a bad thing.  At least they distract you from the music, but it's the equivalent of opting to eat dirt over clay.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »
dude, no worries
it's just one of those things that you'll get lightly mocked about at every turn

honestly, the majority of us have something we get made fun of for, so don't feel bad about it

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 09:43:48 PM »

And why Quadrophenia, but not Tommy? ;)

I suggested Quadrophenia over Tommy because I feel the overall theme of Quadrophenia is simpler, and it is more applicable to most people.  All of us have felt, when we were pissed off disgruntled teens, like our personality was divided as we worked to sort out the insanity of adolescence, battling in between what we felt intrinsicly was right and what the "theme of the day" was.  Not many can relate to a blind, deaf, mute who kicks ass on the pinbal machine, and then through his healing, becomes a messiah who falls from grace.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2012, 02:20:26 PM »
Pretty much, yeah.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »
Totally doing Still Life, the concept rocks. That's my five, then. I should get to work... :lol