Author Topic: Mike Portnoy Talks About 2012  (Read 5601 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Mike Portnoy Talks About 2012
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 10:28:07 AM »
Great Interview . I don't See Any Jab Here . I Wonder if you Would Say That if he was still in DT .

Anyway . Looking Forward to Flying Colors
Why Do You Capitalize Every Word?

Did It Bother You ??

It bothered me because you missed several words. Amateur.

you people are crazy in this Forum . All those Time Signature Changes do Real Fuck the Brain

:rollin :rollin

P.S. MP said something about not liking ice cream, I'll bet he meant "FUCK DT".

Jab-jab-jab-duck-right-left-right-SHORYUKEN
...good interview

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 12:51:32 PM »
Great Interview . I don't See Any Jab Here . I Wonder if you Would Say That if he was still in DT .

Did It Bother You ??
Of course it bothered me, it's ridiculously strange, so I asked why you did it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »
It saddens me a bit that MP is going to go "full throttle" with Adrenaline Mob, as they aren't exactly my cup of tea - I liked metal when it was part of Dream Theater (because of the proggy elements), but as a straight ahead metal band? Eh...not into the whole Godsmack/Disturbed scene, but I'll probably get the album (Omerta) at some point, but Flying Colors is definitely my choice of MP projects.

It seems Flying Colors WANT to tour, so I'll likely save up to see them if they hit the road anywhere near MD/VA/DE/PA. I'm also VERY interested in hearing what the Portnoy/Sykes project will sound like. MP describes it as a classic rock-oriented sound, which has been the other thing missing in MP's equation - he's covered Metal (with Adrenaline Mob), pop (with Flying Colors), and prog (with Neal Morse and Transatlantic), so the classic rock influence hasn't had a home yet, but he's done a lot with it in the past (with cover bands of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Who, as well as doing Deep Purple with Dream Theater), so it's nice to see him actually doing something with it now with a new project of original material.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline GunsOfThePatriots

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »

Did It Bother You ??

OK

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »
It saddens me a bit that MP is going to go "full throttle" with Adrenaline Mob, as they aren't exactly my cup of tea - I liked metal when it was part of Dream Theater (because of the proggy elements), but as a straight ahead metal band? Eh...not into the whole Godsmack/Disturbed scene, but I'll probably get the album (Omerta) at some point, but Flying Colors is definitely my choice of MP projects.

It seems Flying Colors WANT to tour, so I'll likely save up to see them if they hit the road anywhere near MD/VA/DE/PA. I'm also VERY interested in hearing what the Portnoy/Sykes project will sound like. MP describes it as a classic rock-oriented sound, which has been the other thing missing in MP's equation - he's covered Metal (with Adrenaline Mob), pop (with Flying Colors), and prog (with Neal Morse and Transatlantic), so the classic rock influence hasn't had a home yet, but he's done a lot with it in the past (with cover bands of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Who, as well as doing Deep Purple with Dream Theater), so it's nice to see him actually doing something with it now with a new project of original material.

-Marc.

I'm not exactly a big fan of A-Mob either, but why deprive the guy a chance to do what he wants to do?

I kind of looking forward to Flying Colors myself, but I wouldn't expect them to hit the road for any longer than Transatlantic or any of his solo tours for the simple reason that Neal Morse doesn't not like to go on long tours. (If he did, I think Spock's Beard might have made more of a dent 14 years ago)

If for whatever reason Flying Colors takes off, I'd imagine the band would almost be forced to hit the road for longer than Neal would want.

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 03:34:03 AM »
From Randy George's Facebook status: Headed to Nashville in the morning to work on 3 albums with Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy... yes I said 3...

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 06:03:55 AM »

Did It Bother You ??
OK
ANSWER THE QUESTION!

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »
FUCK YOU  :hat :hat :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 09:43:33 AM »
FUCK YOU  :hat :hat :hat

Do that again, and you will be leaving the forum.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »
Seriously, that is uncalled for.  :\

I think FC is gonna be the best thing MP will get out that i've heard so far. I've kind of grown out of Neal Morse's music (still love a good chunk of it, but any fanboyism is gone now), but FC seems like it will be a winner.

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »
Seriously, that is uncalled for.  :\

I think FC is gonna be the best thing MP will get out that i've heard so far. I've kind of grown out of Neal Morse's music (still love a good chunk of it, but any fanboyism is gone now), but FC seems like it will be a winner.

It'll be surprising if (when?) Flying Colors outsells Omerta in the weeks after their respective releases. I think the  Flying Colors will be in for a big surprise if the prog and rock community band together to listen to these five guys put out something that is far greater than the sum of their parts - you've got guys from Dixie Dregs/Deep Purple, and then guys from Transatlantic, and finally a popular singer-songwriter...all these genres' fans will be interested (at least we hope), so I'm hoping music fans world-wide will be anxious to hear more from this band.

Meanwhile, AM is generally geared toward a more narrow demographic of metal fans, like those who like Godsmack or Disturbed, so I'm not sure if the metal community is as excited for AM as the prog community is for FC. I think the answer is - "Probably not". Flying Colors will pass with, well, flying colors, and I think there might be great demand for them to tour, and if it's successful, they'll probably do another album (or at least, we can all hope).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »
No jab.

I'm sorry, but it's absolutely impossible for you to know this for certain. ;) Even if Mike Portnoy tells you it wasn't a jab, it still could have been a jab. People lie. Regardless of whether or not it was a jab, his point was solid and I really enjoyed this interview from him.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »
No jab.

I'm sorry, but it's absolutely impossible for you to know this for certain. ;) Even if Mike Portnoy tells you it wasn't a jab, it still could have been a jab. People lie. Regardless of whether or not it was a jab, his point was solid and I really enjoyed this interview from him.

People also obsess and over-analyze...
Especially on this forum. Mike Portnoy could record a fart and blog it and people on this forum would dissect each and every particle of that fart, desperately trying to figure out how it was meant to be aimed in the general direction of DT. "Hey, don't you think that fart sounded a bit too loud? It's as if he wanted his former band-mates to waft that very fart into their nostrils and smell his success; what an asshole!"

But yeah good interview... Sad that the man will never be able to open his mouth again without the fans shoving their thoughts down his throat.

RIP DTP.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »
Great interview, he seems really relaxed and happy, busy as always.
As OZ is behind in that Metal Show I have just seen the episode where MP suprised Eddie in Stump the Trunk, he looked great,
I wonder how much he actually lost?! :smiley:

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
No jab.

:hefdaddy

People also obsess and over-analyze...
Especially on this forum. Mike Portnoy could record a fart and blog it and people on this forum would dissect each and every particle of that fart, desperately trying to figure out how it was meant to be aimed in the general direction of DT. "Hey, don't you think that fart sounded a bit too loud? It's as if he wanted his former band-mates to waft that very fart into their nostrils and smell his success; what an asshole!"

But yeah good interview... Sad that the man will never be able to open his mouth again without the fans shoving their thoughts down his throat.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 11:01:48 AM »
Mike looks really fit.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »
Mike looks really fit.

:rollin I came back in here to literally post the same thought. Weeeeiiird! But yes he does, I'm very glad to see he seems to be doing well for himself and content with where he is given that things in the music industry side don't seem to be going all too well for the man and his projects. But keep your spirits up, ole' Portnoy! Flying Colors alone will be worth the trouble, I think. That will hopefully get him good enough exposure so that he can continue to do more projects that are a bit more extensive and deeper than something like Adrenaline Mob, which in my eyes is all but a failure. It's sad because I'd like to hear something metal-oriented by Mike but... not the half-assed, rock-out-with-my-peener-out 'metal' (I don't even consider what AD plays as metal, by the bye; hard rock with bunny ears) that they've been playing. He's certainly got the talent, he just needs the right group of people around him. FC will be just that, and from there he can expand.

RIP DTP.