Author Topic: James LaBrie - Beautiful Shade of Gray (Due out April or May)  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Kocak

James LaBrie - Beautiful Shade of Gray (Due out April or May)
« on: September 07, 2021, 06:50:42 AM »
In a recent interview with PasifAgresif, a Turkish webzine, James LaBrie confirmed that his new solo album, Beautiful Shade of Gray, will come out next Spring. The album will be a "mostly acoustic" effort, featuring just one of his former collaborators Marco Sfogli on lead guitars, in addition to Paul Logue from Eden's Curse, who co-produced the album with James, Kim Pulkkinen on keyboards and Chance LaBrie on drums.

No official announcement yet, but here's the original interview: http://www.pasifagresif.com/2021/09/dream-theater-roportaj/
Google Translate version, for convenience: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.pasifagresif.com/2021/09/dream-theater-roportaj/

Offline MirrorMask

Re: James LaBrie - Beautiful Shade of Gray (Due out April or May)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 07:01:05 AM »
That late? bummer. But good to know it will come sooner or later!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online HOF

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 07:19:44 AM »
Title sounds pleasant.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 07:26:41 AM »
Title sounds pleasant.

Well played.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 09:29:45 AM »
Nice!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 05:48:17 AM »
Nice! I thought it would come out under a different name though. I guess Matt is okay with both projects coming out under James' name.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 05:51:21 AM »
Beyond excited for this!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 06:09:09 AM »
I'll definitely check it out. I was a fan of Elements Of Persuasion but none of his other work really click with me; this sounds like it might sound a bit different.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 10:55:15 AM »

Nice! I thought it would come out under a different name though. I guess Matt is okay with both projects coming out under James' name.

To my knowledge, the only thing Matt has said about it was that he isn't involved.  Personally, I think James should have used a different name for this project.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 11:03:29 AM »
I'm not entirely sure the name matters if we already have two versions of the band under the same name.  Might as well make it 3 with all 3 sounding different besides JLB's vocals. 

Not entirely sure I have too much interest in an acoustic album.  I'd be happier if he was working with Matt and following up on the last two albums that I really enjoyed.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 11:05:23 AM »
maybe there'll be a reference?  :D

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 01:12:22 PM »
maybe there'll be a reference?  :D

That was my first thought :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 02:45:46 PM »
I'm not entirely sure the name matters if we already have two versions of the band under the same name.  Might as well make it 3 with all 3 sounding different besides JLB's vocals. 

Not entirely sure I have too much interest in an acoustic album.  I'd be happier if he was working with Matt and following up on the last two albums that I really enjoyed.

Ever since cancelling the appearance at ProgPower, it feels as if there is something within that working collaboration that came to a hold, or more a slight detour. And led to Matt releasing those solo songs, and JLB doing this Acoustic project branded as his namesake. It's an amusing thought I had since it was announced they were cancelling their ProgPower appearance.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 03:58:52 PM »
It doesn't really bother me that they're releasing it under James' name since he is a solo artist and not a proper "band". What bothers me is that we have to wait a long time to get it :lol

It'd be cool if, going forward, these two "bands" merge into one big collab album with both Matt and Paul writing the material along with James.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 04:10:34 PM »
I'm not sure if I give two shits about this to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2021, 04:26:59 PM »

Ever since cancelling the appearance at ProgPower, it feels as if there is something within that working collaboration that came to a hold, or more a slight detour. And led to Matt releasing those solo songs, and JLB doing this Acoustic project branded as his namesake. It's an amusing thought I had since it was announced they were cancelling their ProgPower appearance.

I've wondered this as well, it does seem odd that they seemed to be working together, they backed out of the show and like you said, out comes two Matt songs that sound very much like the JLB recent albums and now this.  Who knows, but I'm inlcined to think it's all related

I'm not sure if I give two shits about this to be honest.

I think I put it a bit more nicely  :lol but basically, I'm not too sure how much I care about this.  I'd imagine I'll check out the singles but dont expect to get the album unless those singles really hit me good and acoustic music doesn't usually do that other than in a live situation.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2021, 05:20:18 AM »
James' solo albums changed my life, so anything he puts out is an instant buy. I'm beyond excited.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 07:30:33 AM »

It doesn't really bother me that they're releasing it under James' name since he is a solo artist and not a proper "band".

Except that James has said that they only use the "James LaBrie" name because it's more marketable, but that he considers his collaboration with Matt and the others as a band.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 06:00:30 AM »
I don't think there's been a falling out between Matt and James, but maybe Matt has quit or is on hiatus because he wants to focus on his solo stuff and they're just waiting to break the news or to see if he suddenly becomes more available or something. When you listen to inties, the plan was always that Matt would do some solo stuff and they would also do stuff together (does anyone remember a 2019ish tentative date for an EP?), but Matt's only done about three songs so far, and the last one came after a long break.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 06:28:04 AM »
I'm keen to hear this. I can see his last couple of solo albums were accomplished but the style doesn't work for me. Have always loved James on softer stuff so quite intrigued.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2021, 06:47:37 AM »
Last time I spoke with Matt via Facebook he said he nearly finished all songs for James and he only needs James come and sing in the studio. He already posted this info in his profile back in early 2020.

I don't know what changed since then. I hope there is nothing bad between them.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2021, 07:01:12 AM »
Spring is only six months away. By the time A View From The Top Of The World is out - that'll seem like nothing.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 07:14:36 AM »
Last time I spoke with Matt via Facebook he said he nearly finished all songs for James and he only needs James come and sing in the studio. He already posted this info in his profile back in early 2020.

Probably Covid since it was early 2020. But now James has a home studio and there could have been some progress with Matt and James' album. Hopefully that's the case.

Online countoftuscany42

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2021, 03:04:13 PM »
Color vinyl pressing of Elements of Persuasion coming 11/26 for Black Friday edition of Record Store Day.  happy birthday to me!  :metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 03:12:39 PM »
Color vinyl pressing of Elements of Persuasion coming 11/26 for Black Friday edition of Record Store Day.  happy birthday to me!  :metal

:metal :metal

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 06:56:56 PM »
if the Mulmzzler albums ever came out on Vinyl, I would likely pick them up.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 07:15:35 PM »
James has been an automatic buy for me since EoP. I don't have any idea what this new album will be like, and I am not sure I care. I will support my favorite pirate.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »
I think James' voice works best in quieter environments (nowadays). I love his later renditions of songs like Wait For Sleep. Not only does his voice sound great there, but his intonation is also always spot on. I saw phone recordings of Wait For Sleep during the I&W&B Tour and they sounded beautiful. So I'm looking forward to hearing acoustic music where his vocals are in the focus.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »

Probably Covid since it was early 2020. But now James has a home studio and there could have been some progress with Matt and James' album. Hopefully that's the case.

I don't know anything about Matt and his situation with James, but James has said in a lot of interviews that this new collaboration just sort of happened at a really perfect and inspired time with Paul Logue. Paul had come to see the show in, I think Scotland, and just happened to see James at the airport the next day. James was like, why didn't you contact me? We could have hung out. Paul was like, I did! James realized Paul must have been using LaBrie's old email. So they talked and decided to do an album. A week or two later the world shut down and they did a lot of long distance collaboration.

Then James started work on the new DT album. James seems to work really slow on his own. Not a slam, he just seems like a pretty laid back dude that's not in a huge rush. He was also putting his home studio together.

I can't wait for this new album. It sounds VERY different from his other stuff (from what he's said) which I really love too. I prefer EoP to his latter two albums but each of those still had some great stuff.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »
An entire album of breathy vocals!  :biggrin:

I will probably test this out first before buying. If it was an album with Matt, it would be an auto-buy.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2021, 03:04:13 PM »
I will probably test this out first before buying. If it was an album with Matt, it would be an auto-buy.

Same here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2021, 03:08:07 PM »
According to one fairly recent interview with James (in an Austrian newspaper, so it's in German) he said that the album was in the mixing stages, so make of that what we will.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2021, 06:16:10 PM »
Christian, the keyboard player for the new album, posted a few days ago that he was filming a video for the album.
https://www.facebook.com/100063623430206/posts/302147638582682/?d=n
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Dream Team

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2021, 01:45:03 PM »
An entire album of breathy vocals!  :biggrin:

:D So true