Author Topic: JAMES LABRIE VS. RUSSELL ALLEN.  (Read 5494 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: JAMES LABRIE VS. RUSSELL ALLEN.
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2021, 04:57:20 PM »
There is no comparison. Russell Allen is just a better vocalist. I've seen him live several times and he crushes it live. JLB does not crush it live. JLB has been extremely volatile live for decades. In terms of ability it's not even close. In fact, I don't think there is one thing JLB can do that Russ cannot. I see the matchup as one tone, and nothing else.

Of course, timbre is a personal preference. I can't say one is better than the other in that regard, though I personally favor Russell. I hear him sing and I hear the Dio influence-- a huge positive in my book-- but I also hear a guy you can plug into many genres and make it work. When I hear JLB I hear a very specific sound and time period. In that sense you can say JLB is more specific/unique, and I would be inclined to agree. However, I would be lying if I said I haven't fantasized about what a DT + Russ album would sound like. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2021, 03:27:51 AM »
The debate between Russ and James live is legit, but I'd love to see the number of shows they've each done in their career. I'm sure James has done a hell of a lot more live singing than Russel.  That may need to be taken into consideration.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2021, 08:48:45 AM »
The debate between Russ and James live is legit, but I'd love to see the number of shows they've each done in their career. I'm sure James has done a hell of a lot more live singing than Russel.  That may need to be taken into consideration.

Yes James has but he did blow his voice out early in his career. :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2021, 02:38:23 PM »

Yes James has but he did blow his voice out early in his career. :(

Yeah of course.  I should have mentioned that as that would be more the cause, not so much the volume of touring.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2021, 03:07:59 PM »
There is no comparison. Russell Allen is just a better vocalist. I've seen him live several times and he crushes it live. JLB does not crush it live. JLB has been extremely volatile live for decades. In terms of ability it's not even close. In fact, I don't think there is one thing JLB can do that Russ cannot. I see the matchup as one tone, and nothing else.

Of course, timbre is a personal preference. I can't say one is better than the other in that regard, though I personally favor Russell. I hear him sing and I hear the Dio influence-- a huge positive in my book-- but I also hear a guy you can plug into many genres and make it work. When I hear JLB I hear a very specific sound and time period. In that sense you can say JLB is more specific/unique, and I would be inclined to agree. However, I would be lying if I said I haven't fantasized about what a DT + Russ album would sound like.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2021, 04:33:41 PM »
Russ is fun live. He’s comedic and interacts with the crowd well. I have seen them many times but not as much as DT. I actually saw James on his first solo tour at The Chance theater in NY and there was maybe 125 people. He could literally hear people talking at the bar in the back. Great show as I got to see Matt Guillory and chat with him, super cool guy. James sounded great and played a lot of Mullmuzzler stuff as well as stuff from EOP.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2021, 08:46:26 AM »
JLB's strongest point as a vocalist is by far his uniqueness, so it makes sense a forum full of JLB enjoyers (and I am one too) will not give someone like RA his due in a head to head comparison. We love someone who provokes such extreme reactions in people that anyone even slightly less unique is "dime a dozen, million singers like him". To me RA is unique though, near unmistakable in longer phrases especially, and I find a lot to love in him - not only is he almost perfect technically, he has a lot of feel and is a master of many registers and styles. It's a shame he never sang over music that's as transcendent as DT - I love SyX, but they're no Dream Theater.

I do find RA's sound to be very distinctive.  I'm generally able to identify it's him within the first line or two of vocals in a song.  But, where does he sing all these "many styles"?  From what I've heard of him (some SymX, Ayreon, Star One, Joel Hoekstra's 13, and a few Allen/Olzon tracks), it's all basically the same style. The only time I've ever heard him do anything noticeably different was when I saw him sing live with TSO.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2021, 09:06:36 AM »

Respectfully, I disagree with a lot of that.   I've seen/heard James crush it live.  I think there ARE things that, at their prime, James can do that Russell cannot.  I don't know how to put that into words, necessarily, but Russell is solid, but not spectacular.

Just look at the list of vocalists that James has CREDIBLY covered.   Mercury, Hewson, Dio, Osbourne, Gillan, Hetfield, Waters, Gilmour, Perry, John, Lee... and I know I'm missing a TON.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2021, 12:16:40 PM »
But, where does he sing all these "many styles"?  From what I've heard of him (some SymX)
There's your answer - go through all of SyX if you want the diversity and evolution!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2021, 04:06:35 PM »
Well I did go through and I define myself SX fan from the beginning and RA's style stays almost same over the years. There is no significant difference. Same agressive, gritty tone with the exception some of mellow songs. Yes he is good at what he does and I love him but nothing more than that.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

• PR permission
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2021, 04:56:26 PM »

Respectfully, I disagree with a lot of that.   I've seen/heard James crush it live.  I think there ARE things that, at their prime, James can do that Russell cannot.  I don't know how to put that into words, necessarily, but Russell is solid, but not spectacular.

Just look at the list of vocalists that James has CREDIBLY covered.   Mercury, Hewson, Dio, Osbourne, Gillan, Hetfield, Waters, Gilmour, Perry, John, Lee... and I know I'm missing a TON.

Well, I didn't say he's never crushed it live. I would imagine he has good days here and there. I was pretty happy with what I heard on the ADTOE tour, and disappointed many times too. I don't find any discussion about JLB's prime particularly relevant here considering how small of a window it was over 20 years ago. The volatile live performances have been a consistent theme since that point, which is to say that they've been topical for a LONG time now. This is a fairly well documented thing - I am not making it up or trying to be mean or nitpicky. And when has he ever covered Dio or Hetfield credibly? Dio is a totally different voice that is stylistically closer to Russ's, who has modeled parts of his style after him. Also, Perry? Journey's Perry? There isn't even a vague similarity between him and JLB. It's a totally different timbre and style.

At the end of the day, RA has had far fewer issues in a live context. Given the nature of studio recordings, I guess you could say it's a matter of taste up until a certain point. It's just pretty clear who has better vocal ability.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2021, 05:23:09 PM »
At the end of the day, RA has had far fewer issues in a live context. Given the nature of studio recordings, I guess you could say it's a matter of taste up until a certain point. It's just pretty clear who has better vocal ability.

Also, far fewer live shows/tours overall :P (also, about 8 years less of age too).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

• PR permission
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2021, 05:38:41 PM »

Also, far fewer live shows/tours overall :P (also, about 8 years less of age too).

Yes - though as we all know, the live problems started long long ago.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2021, 06:09:33 PM »
Singing is not just about vocal ability though in terms of who has the biggest range or the most powerful voice.  It’s about conveying the emotion of the song.  Russell Allen leaves me utterly cold.  Yes he can hit big notes and sing in tune but there’s no subtlety to him, it’s like being hit over the head with a sledgehammer (imo).  JLB has a classy smoothness to his voice and does make me feel something, can bring me out in goosebumps at certain moments.  Someone like a Mark Knopfler practically mumbles his way through songs but his voice moves me, it has a warmth to it that makes me feel good.  Russell Allen sounds like every other Dio clone metal singer to me but lacks the subtlety that Dio had that made him great.

It’s all subjective of course, especially with singers (I love Axl Rose for example and others can’t even bear to listen to him!).  If people like Russell, that’s awesome, I totally get it as the guy can undoubtedly sing, he just doesn’t do much for me.  If he comes on in an Ayreon album, I don’t think he sounds bad, it’s perfectly fine, it just doesn’t elevate the material for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2021, 07:46:49 AM »

Well, I didn't say he's never crushed it live. I would imagine he has good days here and there. I was pretty happy with what I heard on the ADTOE tour, and disappointed many times too. I don't find any discussion about JLB's prime particularly relevant here considering how small of a window it was over 20 years ago. The volatile live performances have been a consistent theme since that point, which is to say that they've been topical for a LONG time now. This is a fairly well documented thing - I am not making it up or trying to be mean or nitpicky. And when has he ever covered Dio or Hetfield credibly? Dio is a totally different voice that is stylistically closer to Russ's, who has modeled parts of his style after him. Also, Perry? Journey's Perry? There isn't even a vague similarity between him and JLB. It's a totally different timbre and style.

Both Stargazer (from the BC&SL release) and Heaven And Hell (from the Ystejam Covers disk) are EXCELLENT, and while I'm not a Met fanboy, the Master Of Puppets release is solid.   Same with Lovin' Touchin' and Squeezin' from ACOS EP and Mother, Father from the Covers disk.   I never said there was similarity, I said he covered them credibly.  (Though, I've often said that when I got into DT with I&W, it struck me initially as Rush meets Iron Maiden with Steve Perry singing, and I still feel that way). 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2021, 10:39:04 AM »

Both Stargazer (from the BC&SL release) and Heaven And Hell (from the Ystejam Covers disk) are EXCELLENT, and while I'm not a Met fanboy, the Master Of Puppets release is solid.   Same with Lovin' Touchin' and Squeezin' from ACOS EP and Mother, Father from the Covers disk.   I never said there was similarity, I said he covered them credibly.  (Though, I've often said that when I got into DT with I&W, it struck me initially as Rush meets Iron Maiden with Steve Perry singing, and I still feel that way).

James is stellar on the BC&SL covers disc.  I wish they'd swapped out the 2 instrumental covers with vocal songs. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2021, 10:57:52 AM »

James is stellar on the BC&SL covers disc.  I wish they'd swapped out the 2 instrumental covers with vocal songs.
The covers disc is better than the actual album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2021, 11:03:19 AM »

Agreed.  I really like the Queen cover and the Zebra cover as well.  James sounds great!

• PR permission
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »

Yeah, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think any of the Rainbow or Metallica covers are very good. It's not necessarily because he's doing a terrible job-- not saying he is missing notes left and right. It's just his toolbox isn't the right toolbox. It just doesn't fit well to my ears.

Also, in your last sentence... I don't know why one would think of Steve Perry of all people but for some sense of similarity. I don't hear it at all but hey, our brains are all wired differently.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2021, 05:43:23 PM »
Yea, at no point do DT (JLB especially) "credibly" do Metallica.

Hitting the correct notes is not quite enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online nikatapi

« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2021, 02:19:30 AM »
I like both singers. Technically, Rusell sounds superior, but i connect more with James on an emotional level.
I prefered the cleaner style of Rusell in the earlier years, not a big fan of the rougher vocal style he's had lately (especially on the hideous Adrenaline Mob albums)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2021, 07:49:23 AM »

Yeah, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think any of the Rainbow or Metallica covers are very good. It's not necessarily because he's doing a terrible job-- not saying he is missing notes left and right. It's just his toolbox isn't the right toolbox. It just doesn't fit well to my ears.

Also, in your last sentence... I don't know why one would think of Steve Perry of all people but for some sense of similarity. I don't hear it at all but hey, our brains are all wired differently.

Fair enough, tastes.   As to the Steve Perry, though, I've been saying that since 1992, so it's not an argument of convenience.   To me, it's a feel thing.  I love that soaring, legato vocal style that both use, over pretty powerful instrumental units.  I'm a melody guy; while I concede that Dio is a better technical singer, I prefer both Ozzy (in Sabbath) and JLT (in Rainbow) to him from a taste standpoint.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2021, 09:43:36 AM »

Well, yeah, but I didn't want to say it.  It's my least favorite DT album, but that covers disc is fantastic.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »

Fair enough, tastes.   As to the Steve Perry, though, I've been saying that since 1992, so it's not an argument of convenience.   To me, it's a feel thing.  I love that soaring, legato vocal style that both use, over pretty powerful instrumental units.  I'm a melody guy; while I concede that Dio is a better technical singer, I prefer both Ozzy (in Sabbath) and JLT (in Rainbow) to him from a taste standpoint.

And to add to this, DT is also the kind of band that benefits more from an "operatic"/melodic high-pitched approach to the vocals as opposed to the "tough guy" approach.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2021, 11:43:33 AM »

And to add to this, DT is also the kind of band that benefits more from an "operatic"/melodic high-pitched approach to the vocals as opposed to the "tough guy" approach.

You mean, you didn't like the "I'm muthafuckin' psychosane!" ad lib at the end of "The Spirit Carries On" on the last tour?  :) :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2021, 09:21:22 PM »

You mean, you didn't like the "I'm muthafuckin' psychosane!" ad lib at the end of "The Spirit Carries On" on the last tour?  :) :)

:rollin

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2021, 09:51:19 PM »
So to give an informed answer to this question, I listened to my favorite vocal performances from both. The Odyssey for Russell and Awake for James.

I loved Russell. Like, if I was born in another life, I would love to have his voice.

Then I listened to Awake. James goes aggressive. James lays back. James soars. James becomes emotional. James becomes vulnerable. Then the kicker is Scarred, where he does all of that in one song

Awake James Labrie wins this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2021, 08:03:45 PM »
So to give an informed answer to this question, I listened to my favorite vocal performances from both. The Odyssey for Russell and Awake for James.

I loved Russell. Like, if I was born in another life, I would love to have his voice.

Then I listened to Awake. James goes aggressive. James lays back. James soars. James becomes emotional. James becomes vulnerable. Then the kicker is Scarred, where he does all of that in one song

Well said.  James in the 90s was pretty much untouchable when it came to studio work.  Even with having the food poisoning incident, he was damn good on Falling into Infinity, and he was INCREDIBLE on Scenes from a Memory.  I remember just being wowed at how awesome his singing was right away when I first got Scenes.  And of course his singing on both Awake and especially Images and Words is just unbeatable.  :hat :hat

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2021, 09:59:00 AM »
I love Russell, but he doesn’t have a performance like James on Take the Time or Scarred.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline JLa

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2021, 01:57:19 PM »

Probably a good reason why Awake is my favorite DT album and Scarred one of my top 10 songs. James' performance is simply sublime.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2021, 02:29:57 PM »
I love Russell, but he doesn’t have a performance like James on Take the Time or Scarred.

The Odyssey wouldn't qualify?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2021, 03:06:49 PM »
Russell in The Odyssey is good, but not touching James' Scarred performance. What made Scarred amazing was how James goes from one "version" of James to another every other line.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2021, 07:12:22 PM »
JLB's strongest point as a vocalist is by far his uniqueness, so it makes sense a forum full of JLB enjoyers (and I am one too) will not give someone like RA his due in a head to head comparison. We love someone who provokes such extreme reactions in people that anyone even slightly less unique is "dime a dozen, million singers like him". To me RA is unique though, near unmistakable in longer phrases especially, and I find a lot to love in him - not only is he almost perfect technically, he has a lot of feel and is a master of many registers and styles. It's a shame he never sang over music that's as transcendent as DT - I love SyX, but they're no Dream Theater.

Yeah, well said.  I don't get the criticism of Allen being "generic."  He is anything but.  I mean, I went with James as far as which one I prefer.  But Allen is incredibly talented, and has a ton of range (in styles, not just pitch) and diversity in his vocal approaches.  He is incredibly versatile and can convey a ton of different emotions in his singing, and I just love that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2021, 07:16:47 PM »

Yeah, well said.  I don't get the criticism of Allen being "generic."  He is anything but.  I mean, I went with James as far as which one I prefer.  But Allen is incredibly talented, and has a ton of range (in styles, not just pitch) and diversity in his vocal approaches.  He is incredibly versatile and can convey a ton of different emotions in his singing, and I just love that.

No, Allen isn't generic. But I don't necessarily feel he's original either. And by that, I mean, he really doesn't have his "own" sound. Not that that is his fault. I just feel like Allen sounds like a lot of different people whereas Labrie sounds like nobody else.

I just don't emotionally connect with him, even though he's a brilliant singer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol