Author Topic: UMH's "No Frills, No Fluff, Just Roulette"  (Read 19924 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
UMH's "No Frills, No Fluff, Just Roulette"
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:48:24 PM »
It's come to my attention that these crazy things have just been getting crazier ever since the beginning. So, for this roulette, we're going super primal. Consider this the garage rock revival of song roulette. The approach is threefold.

1. No Themes. Period. The big issue with this one was that someone would always get shafted if they didn't have a good selection of music within the underlying theme. All rounds will be open.

2. No Time Limits Basically, I don't give a flying shit how long the song is as long as it's well done. I'd hate for a song to be disqualified just because it ran over the time limit to include a section that took the song to a whole other level.

3. No Set Point Values In the first round of my original roulette, I had to give 2 songs that I adored a "2" rating, when they probably deserved at least a 4. This means shit's going to get pretty high scoring. Also, that means that I reserve the right to give a song a score of "0" if it's Coheed, Muse, Mew, or Heritage-era Opeth.

Anyway, the participants are as follows.

zxlkho
Dark Castle
YtseBitsySpider
Ravenheart
ClairvoyantCat
ariich
Gorille85

And off we go. Try to get your songs in to me by Thursday at the latest. The earlier they come in, the earlier results will be posted.

Edit: Forgot my last.fm. What a tool I am. www.last.fm/user/ultihelmethead
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:16:05 PM by ariich »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: UMH's "No Frills, No Fluff, Just Roulette"
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »
Bring it on bitches.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »
I'm going to lose, but it's worth a shot. It's fun to be in one of these again.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »
I also think this is the first roulette to have a banned member participate. Shall be fun.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »
I also think this is the first roulette to have a banned member participate. Shall be fun.
Glad somebody else noticed.  :lol
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:01:55 PM »
Sent.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
Sent. I can't believe I'm so confident, but I know he will love this.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »
Sent, hope you like it :P

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »
Glad somebody else noticed.  :lol

Joe got banned during Nick's roulette (twice!), but still trudged on.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
Im in.
Nick deserves to be bannded for Nick's roulette.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »
The songs I've received so far have all left me dying to hear more. You guys are off to a fantastic start.  :metal

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »
So I'm right then! :D

:metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:17:57 PM »
I don't get to defend my title?  Horseshit.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »

lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
You already won one. :P I was going to try to have nobody from the previous one, but I felt like giving Rich another go.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 05:46:49 AM »
im on a pretty stellar losing streak right now..so thanks for the chance.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »
YOU NEVER TOLD US HOW TO SUMBIT SONGS

Do you have Spotify? If not, I'll probably mostly send Grooveshark.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 01:00:03 PM »
YOU NEVER TOLD US HOW TO SUMBIT SONGS

Do you have Spotify? If not, I'll probably mostly send Grooveshark.
Interesting. Everybody else figured it out, and you were even in the last one. :p I do have Spotify, but I don't use it very often and would prefer Grooveshark.

Oh, by the way. You're the last one who needs to send, so HURRY THE FUCK UP ALREADY.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 01:03:18 PM »
It's not my fault you're operating on silly American times! :P I was in bed when you started this thread, and then at work all day.

You'll get a song this evening.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
OK SENT

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: UMH's "No Frills, No Fluff, Just Roulette" ROUND 1 RESULTS
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
Alright bitches, here we go. I'll be posting the write-ups in the order I received the songs. Just because your song's at the bottom doesn't mean you got last place. Also, since we don't have a real points hierarchy, each song is getting the exact amount of points I feel it deserved. The only exception to the rule is the "winner" of each round, who will receive 6 points. The rest will be graded on a 1-5 scale.

1 - Ugh, please don't make me listen to this again
2 - Tolerable, but lacking in several areas
3 - Good stuff, with maybe 1 or 2 minor gripes
4 - Highly enjoyable
5 - *boner*
6 - *megaboner*

Gorille85 Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Sleep is Wrong

Well, this was certainly the best start to this roulette that I could have possibly asked for. This is a band I've always wanted to check out, but I never really had the time nor the motivation (always too much other stuff to listen to). Harry and Alex both sent me a few random songs, but nothing ever really stood out. However, I have now realized what a fool I am for not paying more attention. This is some really fabulous music. I quote one of the comments on the video when I say "This is the heaviest non-heavy song you will ever hear." It achieves this monstrous, crushing sound without a single distorted guitar riff. Based on first impressions alone, this would have gotten 5 points, but all the layers that jump out after repeated listens make me quite aware that this is a band I'll be listening to for a long time. 5 points

73109 Shape of Despair - Quiet These Paintings Are

Long this song is. Doomy it is also. Yodaspeak the song title is in. Anyway, there's no denying that this song went on for way too long, but it was still entertaining and bleak. I've always been into Swallow the Sun, but I think I might actually like this better. I could see myself exploring Skyrim to this music. It fits that night vibe so perfectly. The piano blending with the oboe (I'm pretty sure. I could be wrong) is a very nice prelude to the ever-familiar doom chords. My one complaint about this song (apart from the length) is that the fade-in didn't really do it for me. I think this song would have benefited from one enormous impact to bring in the heavy parts. I'm actually surprised that you like this, what with the awesome growls and all, but I'm not complaining. Looks like you finally got into good music.  :) 4 points

Dark Castle Desecravity - Enthralled in Decimation

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal This is some excellent modern death metal. Erik Rutan seems to have a gift when it comes to producing the absolute best-sounding death metal ever. Everything (except the bass, of course) cuts through so cleanly, that it gives a certain finesse and beauty to a genre that prides itself on being ugly as all hell. I get a big Cannibal Corpse vibe, but dare I say that these guys might be even better. The riffs never stick around long enough to become static, and the technical prowess of this band absolutely speaks for itself. I especially love when the higher vocals compliment the low stuff like Deicide like to play around with. Really, my only complaint with this song is that it lacks any really memorable sections, but it's still fun as hell to listen to. 4 points

Ravenheart Edge of Sanity - Twilight

So, I hit play on this song. I'm sitting back, enjoying the ambiance and pristine beauty, and then the riff happens. A wicked smile creeps over my face as I begin to bob my head along, and then the OTHER riff happens.  :omg: This song went from "pretty fucking sweet" to "Holy fucking christ on a garlic cracker awesome" within about 2 minutes. I've heard Dan Swano's work with Bloodbath, but other than that I didn't have much frame of reference to his numerous projects. If this song (and the rest of the album which I downloaded immediately) is any indicator, Dan Swano is to become one of the chosen few on my list of the best musicians of all time. The most interesting aspect of this song, to me, is how prominent the bass is, and it instantly gives this band a defining sound that sticks out from all the other death metal in the universe. 6 points

ClairvoyantCat Martin Grech - I Am Chromosome

Ah, here we go. Some neat, tribal stuff and-HOLY FUCKING JESUS IT'S ANOTHER EPIC RIFF. Seriously, I don't know where the fuck stuff like this has been all my life, but I want it all. ALL OF IT I TELL YOU. I really have no idea how to define this stuff. It's definitely progressive metal, but with little bits of electronic tossed in. I've been looking for another genre-bender for a long time, and I've finally found it. The whole song has a very processed feeling, which I feel helps out that electronic, robotic feeling. Something tells me this guy's voice should annoy me, but it doesn't. He kind of sounds like a less annoying Matt Bellamy. Hell, I'll take it. This album will definitely be on my list for whenever I need an awesome change of pace. 5 points

YtseBitsySpider Unearth - Shadows in the Light

Yeesh. Well, it's better than Asking Alexandria, I'll give you that much. Unfortunately, it's not by much. This whole deathcore movement just makes me sad. It's like they took everything cool about metal, threw it away, took all the annoying elements of hardcore and threw them right in. Sure, the riffs are heavy, but it doesn't excuse the whole "uninspired breakdown every 5 seconds to promote hardcore dancing and pussy-moshing" or the high, screamy vocals. Some bands can pull off that style of vocal, but this is not one of them. I'm feeling generous though, so I'll give you an extra point if you promise not to send any more. :p 2 points

zxkhlo Neurosis - No River to Take Me Home

Man, this song is fucking bleak. After getting into Battle of Mice recently, I've been up for some more post-metal. If this is a good indicator of the rest of this band's output, I'd say I'll enjoy exploring their discography. I'm finding it kind of hard to write about this song. Maybe it's because I'm listening to it right now and it's pretty hypnotic. While the length isn't too terrible, it still feels like it goes on for a bit longer than it needs to. The coolest part of the song has to be the end, where everything mellows out, only to be brought back into heavier territory with the harmonizing guitar lines. Great stuff. 4 points

ariich Protest the Hero - Bloodmeat

Well, way to cash in on my recent SikTh binging. Mathcore FTW. I can't really find myself listening to much else, lately. Something tells me these vocals would usually bug me, but you're pretty lucky that SikTh's vocal acrobatics have kind of desensitized me to this style of singing. I especially like the "DUH DUH DUHDUH"s and how they add to the rhythmic crushing of that section. I absolutely love the interplay between the guitarists. Oh, and for those wondering, the end of this song is a perfect example of a breakdown done right. I'm positively drooling at the thought of exploring this band further. 5 points

The Scoreboard:
Ravenheart - 6
Gorille85 - 5
ClairvoyantCat - 5
ariich - 5
Dark Castle - 4
73109 - 4
zxkhlo - 4
YtseBitsySpider - 2

Next round is open again (as all rounds will be). Try to get me a submission by Friday. Remember that the scoring system is arranged in such a way that it will almost always be anyone's game. Keep up the good work, soldiers.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »
Cool. Well, there are bands I know I want to send, but I don't know what songs I want to send. So, expect my submission later than .2 seconds after you open the roulette like last night.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »
Cool. Well, there are bands I know I want to send, but I don't know what songs I want to send. So, expect my submission later than .2 seconds after you open the roulette like last night.
Same here, I've got bands, but I'm not sure hat song to try next, I figure I should vary genre's too :P
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:18:27 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 09:11:51 PM »
Surprised you've never listened to Protest the Hero

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 10:13:32 PM »
And Zander is off to the lead in yet another roulette!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 07:18:11 AM »
Surprised you've never listened to Protest the Hero
They've been on my list. Interestingly enough, I had already planned to check them out after my SikTh obsession died down a bit.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 07:26:52 AM »
AND WE WILL CRUSH THEM ALLLLLL LIIIIKE IAIIIIINNNNS

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
Oh hi guys, I'll watch  :corn

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 07:54:35 AM »
Im getting pounded lately.
But then again, I'm on a core kick so everyone is getting all my favorite stuff.
And not liking it as much as me.
Sigh....

ok...I'll try a different route.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 08:37:12 AM »
Sent.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »
Sent

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
Hey UHM can you put your last fm in the original OP
so I can refer to it? (deleted your pm sorry)

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
Hey UHM can you put your last fm in the original OP
so I can refer to it? (deleted your pm sorry)

It's already there.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 03:14:30 PM »
Sent

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »
Sent.