Author Topic: Computer problem (Vista)  (Read 691 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Computer problem (Vista)
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »
Okay, here is my problem. So far none of my other computer savvy friends have found a good answer. Basically what is happening is that I delete a file, and it re-appears, kinda. This isn't an issue with a system regenerating something (like the default music folder), and it has happened with files that could not have been in use with another program. So far I think it has only happened with audio files. When I say it reappears, it only does so in skeleton form. Basically the file shows up, has the properties of the file, and I can't edit it in any way or play it. The shell of the file is there, but there is actually no contents, which have been deleted.

Any clue what might be causing this? So far the only way to deal with the semi-regular issue is to restart that computer and that gets old quick when I'm working with tons of audio files and it happens every few minutes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Computer problem (Vista)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:50:01 PM »
"What kind of operating system does it use?"
"Uhh, it's...Vista."
"We're going to die!"
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »
Computer problem (Vista)

Problem identified.

Get Windows 7 or XP

Problem solved.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:45:49 AM »
reappears where?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 03:47:20 AM »
"What kind of operating system does it use?"
"Uhh, it's...Vista."
"We're going to die!"
I posted this video in another Vista thread a few weeks ago. So good. :lol

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 07:18:28 AM »
Okay, here is my problem. So far none of my other computer savvy friends have found a good answer. Basically what is happening is that I delete a file, and it re-appears, kinda. This isn't an issue with a system regenerating something (like the default music folder), and it has happened with files that could not have been in use with another program. So far I think it has only happened with audio files. When I say it reappears, it only does so in skeleton form. Basically the file shows up, has the properties of the file, and I can't edit it in any way or play it. The shell of the file is there, but there is actually no contents, which have been deleted.

Any clue what might be causing this? So far the only way to deal with the semi-regular issue is to restart that computer and that gets old quick when I'm working with tons of audio files and it happens every few minutes.

This is a known problem with vista, it's been over a year since I've touched a vista system but at the time there was no way to delete the file without reformatting.

I'm assuming you've already did a system restore and are up to date?

Also are you able to delete the ghost file.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »

This is a known problem with vista, it's been over a year since I've touched a vista system but at the time there was no way to delete the file without reformatting.

I'm assuming you've already did a system restore and are up to date?

Also are you able to delete the ghost file.

When I restart the file is finally gone, but that's the only way.

And trust me, if I could upgrade to 7 I would, and I have a friend in IT who might make that a free and legal possibility soon.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:52:10 PM »
God save those who still use Vista  :lol

I remember having this issue back when I had the doomed OS. I can't remember for the life of me what the fix is
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:31:01 AM »
That happened with two files back when I had vista. Nothing seemed to get rid of them, and when I went through an extensive trial to get rid of them, I wound up getting a permanent bsod (i.e. computer would turn on, instant blue screen). I'm not tech smart, but my suggestion is to reformat if you can, b/c I honestly tried everything else and couldn't get rid of those shell files.

(My personal solution was buying this new badass computer with W7, but yeah...)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.