Author Topic: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!  (Read 27253 times)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »
Meet Loaf? Hmm sounds intriguing...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Nothing to see here.
« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2012, 07:29:02 AM »
7. Wish You Were Here-Pink Floyd
This used to be my favorite album ever for a long time, and I still hold it in pretty high regard.  Its a very emotional album, dealing with the departure of former Floyd frontman Syd Barrett, and also fairly diverse musically.  The title track and "Have a Cigar" are radio-friendly folk ballads and blues songs, respectively, but "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" takes Floyd's brand of atmospheric, psychedelic prog and takes it to its zenith, while "Welcome to the Machine," is very dark...almost industrial, and pretty different compared to everything else of the era.  I also love Waters' lyrics on this album.  They're not incredibly pretentious or grandiose like Dark Side, and they don't sound as immature or simple like Animals or The Wall.  Its a very heartfelt goodbye to Syd and the album is filled with genuine emotion.  Not to say The Wall isn't emotional, but it seems much more powerful when Rogers isn't singing a rock opera about himself.
Favorite songs: All of them.

6. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3-Coheed & Cambria
I didn't like this album when I first heard it.  I was enamored with Good Apollo Vol. 1 and didn't want to love a Coheed album with so many remnants of their emo/alternative rock past without as much prog.  But it drew me in in chunks.  First, "The Crowing" with its amazing outro, "Al the Killer" for its awesome heaviness, "The Light and the Glass" for its epicness, and "A Favor House Atlantic" as a guilty pleasure.  Slowly but surely, even the poppier tracks like "Blood Red Summer" drew me in until I was swimming in the masterpiece of modern rock songwriting that it had always been.  All (Al the) killer, no filler, as they say.  I love Travis' intricate background lead guitar work in songs like "Cuts Marked in the March of Men" and "A Favor House Atlantic."  I love former-now-current-once-again drummer Josh Eppard's sense of groove while keeping the songs aggressive and driving.  And of course, I love Claudio's voice and lyrics, even if he overuses the word "words."
Favorite songs: all of them.

5. Crack the Skye-Mastodon
This was another grower for me.  At first, I didn't like Brent or Troy's vocals but thought the music was pretty good.  Slowly, again, they grew on me as growls and screams grew on me in general.  The music though is where this album really shines.  There's absolutely nothing like it on the prog scene, which to me is what prog should be doing all the time.  Pushing the envelope, expressing your influences but not aping them, and making something new and unique.  After three albums of very sludgy, aggressive metal, Mastodon threw most of it out the window and made an album brimming with an ethereal atmosphere, intricate guitar work, captivating melodies, and yes, brutal crushing metal.  Its an amazing experience from start to finish, and an album that's essential for any music fan.  Not just prog or metal, just music.  Its that good and that unique.
Favorite songs: all of them.

4. Born to Run-Bruce Springsteen
A favorite album from my childhood.  Anyone who says that Springsteen is a hack or a champion of America needs to get their head examined (and learn that "Born in the USA" is not meant to praise the USA for being so awesome).  His lyrics of escaping New Jersey appeal to any young person in any state, they are the perfect rock 'n roll lyrics.  His voice is also in its prime on this album.  Its primal, raspy, passionate, and soulful.  The music is also very diverse and takes Springsteen to places he still hasn't revisited.  Good thing too, or else it would just sound like a rip off.  Take "Jungleland" or "Backstreets," two very powerful, epic songs with jaw-dropping lyrical content, or "Meeting Across the River," a ballad with some of the most underappreciated lyrics in rock.  There are some songs reflecting his rock and blues roots like "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out," "Night," "Born to Run," and "She's the One," but the song that really sends this album into the stratosphere of fantastic music is "Thunder Road."  That song is still my favorite song of all time and, when I saw it as the encore for his Greenville show, one of the greatest live music experiences of my life.  Tears were in my eyes.  Go listen now if you haven't already.
Favorite songs: all of them

THREE LEFT!  WILL I EVER FINISH?

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2012, 07:59:20 AM »
:tup WYWH and CTS  :tup

As far as Springsteen goes, I don't think he's a champion for all things America. I do believe a great deal of his music is filled with the spirit of classic young America and those ideals (and that's a good thing IMO). "Thunder Road" and "Born to Run" both seem to represent that to me and I enjoy a good deal of his material.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »
Yaaaay, this is still going. Looking forward to the top 3.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »
SDNs list is now FOUND in the ether!!

More love for WYWH. Not surprising. It's shown up on quite a few top 50s. And Born To Run is a classic rock staple for anyone born in the 70s or earlier.

:tup :tup in my books.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
I'm still considering it lost until he actually finishes. :P

Nice update though! The Pink Floyd album is phenomenal, and the C&C and Mastodon are really good as well. I have to confess I don't really know the Springsteen, maybe I should check it out.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »
When I saw Rich post "C&C", I thought he meant C&C Music Factory  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »
I'm still considering it lost until he actually finishes. :P

Nice update though! The Pink Floyd album is phenomenal, and the C&C and Mastodon are really good as well. I have to confess I don't really know the Springsteen, maybe I should check it out.

His stretch of albums between Born to Run and Born in the USA is gold!  GOLD I tell ya!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
His stretch of albums between Born to Run and Born in the USA is gold!  GOLD I tell ya!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »
I hate Springsteen, but for you Matt, I will check out that album.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Ħ

« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
WYWH is an amazing album. It's cool how you love Welcome to the Machine...it's a song that is often forgotten about, but it's one of their best. :tup
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »
Wow Matt. I'm never calling you for a ride. ;(

Offline Ħ

« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »
Seth, this is a good opportunity to redeem yourself as well!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »
I hate Springsteen

wat

Yea, WAT?!?!

His singing rivals Keith Richards', which is never a good thing.

Hey Mike... hate to alarm you but Nick is posting from your account.

:youfail:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »
Well, thats probably because my password is "ilovenick".

:(