Author Topic: Luxury cruiser runs aground in Tuscany, holy cr*p  (Read 7673 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
Re: Luxury cruiser runs aground in Tuscany, holy cr*p
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:50:04 PM »
Damn  :|
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:38:32 AM by dethklok09 »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
Yeah, I saw that on the BBC today. Crazy.

There's a whole bunch of pictures here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:54:53 PM »
I wonder how they are going to get the ship out of there.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »
As one of the most active Italian here, I'll provide some fresh news:

- The captain has just been arrested for "shipwreck, homicide and escape". The prosecutor told the media, a couple of minutes ago, that Cpt. Schettino had indeed left the ship together with some officials 6 hours before the last passengers were cleared from the cruiser.

- As a result of this, the evacuation of the ship was carried out at least in part by mariners or waiters who could not speak or understand italian or english and who had not been fully prepared to handle an emergency. Although unsmoothly, the evacuation was carried out at least decently, and most of the life boats were employed.

- The ship was about 5 miles away from its theoretical track, and hit a well known rock. The captain, however, still maintains that the rock was previously unknown and uncharted. This statement has been disputed and almost certainly proved false. It has to be said that it was somehow habitual for "Costa" ships to sail so close to the Giglio island to hail the towners with the ship horn.

- There are 41 missing at the moment. A journalist who was aboard at the time of the disaster refers that the rock tore the hull near the kitchens, where about 150 (mostly immigrants from the Philippines) worked at the time of the contact (it was dinner time). Those missing may be among them, as that part of the ship was certainly the one to have suffered the highest damage.

- For about an hour and a half, no order of evacuation was given. The passengers were told to gather outside and that in a short time the cruise would have resumed. No one but the crew was aware at the time that the ship had indeed collided with a rock, since the official explaination to the passenger was that of a generic "electric malfunctioning".

- Most of the rescued (4200) are well and are beginning to be sent back to their home. However, a few dozen were injured (a small number show life-threatening wounds) and are currently hospitalized.

Sorry for whatever mistake you may find, this was written in a rush.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
Folks, if you wanna sail, sail Royal Caribbean. They made so many flubs in this incident I was speechless when I heard about it.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »
LET ME INTRODUCE
MY CRUISER

Sad sad story.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »
I was distracted by "aground" for a minute or so but now I know a new longer word for "sank" :D
Unfortunate accident for sure. The picture shows the cruiser sank close to a seemingly climbable rock formation which I would imagine to be a blessing for the an uninjured and able to swim!

Two survivors on the Costa Concordia have been found inside the ship, Italy's ANSA news agency reported early Sunday. The man and woman have responded to the rescuers, but have not yet been reached, according to the news agency. 

I take it that means there's a part of the ship that's still to this moment above water?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »
If it hit a sandbar,  then it's probably as sunk as it's gonna be. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
As someone who works for a major cruise line company, let me say I was very happy when I finally saw it was not one of our ships.

That being said, what a horrible tragedy that sounds like it was preventable. I am amazing only 3 deaths have been confirmed at this point.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 05:54:50 PM »
What line do you work for?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
I'm amazed the Internet isn't loaded with cellphone videos from people on board.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 09:28:43 PM »
What's the estimated insurance claim on this?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 01:35:26 AM »
Holy crap is right!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 03:13:52 AM »
I'm amazed the Internet isn't loaded with cellphone videos from people on board.
Because cell phones work so well in water.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 03:22:37 AM »
If it hit a sandbar,  then it's probably as sunk as it's gonna be.

It is somehow hanging in the balance on an underwater cliff or sandbar, or something like that. If something big happens (i.e. the hull breaks in two) the ship will probably sink an additional 70 meters.
- Marco

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 06:00:23 AM »

Almost all lifeboats were deployed... Thousands of people stayed dry.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
2 more bodies found so that's 5 dead now.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 10:07:47 AM »
 :omg: wow, sad news

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
2 more bodies found so that's 5 dead now.

Two old men, wearing lifejackets, trapped near the bow of the ship. Very sad...
- Marco

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »

I doubt they were "dry." Completely soaked/drenched? Probably not. Dry? Doubt it.

From the time they started evacuation to well after the time they got into lifeboats, I can't envision a single moment in my head where pulling out a phone would be an acceptable move. They were concerned about survival and getting off the ship as quick as possible. Even once they got onto the lifeboats, I'm sure the majority of them were calling their family to let them know they were alive.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »
Whoever the company is, by the way, they're done for after this. If the monetary losses from having sunk a ship don't get 'em, the numerous lawsuits will.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »
Whoever the company is, by the way, they're done for after this. If the monetary losses from having sunk a ship don't get 'em, the numerous lawsuits will.
Costa is part of the Carnival Group.  As I understand,  it's their European wing,  and the largest cruise ship operator in Europe.  This shouldn't sink them.  Plus,  you've got insurance for things like this.  Lots and lots of insurance.

What's interesting is what the final disposition of the ship will be.  Experts are calling this a total loss.  Plus you've got the enormous cost of salvage. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 02:16:03 PM »
Not Carnival, Costa is sunk (no pun intended). Not to mention they're gonna lose a ton of business for a period of time, as people get temporarily squeamish about Costa cruise liners.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 02:17:49 PM »
Damn that is unreal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
Not Carnival, Costa is sunk (no pun intended). Not to mention they're gonna lose a ton of business for a period of time, as people get temporarily squeamish about Costa cruise liners.
They'll continue to operate.  My guess is that they'll pull a Valujet and re-brand themselves. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 03:16:01 PM »
Costa is part of the Carnival Group. 

Oh shit, that is the parent company of my employer! There goes my profit sharing!  :lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »
There is something about big big boats half underwater that is really really eerie.  :\

https://www.islandbreath.org/2010Year/05/100518shipsinks.jpg

Maybe it's the fact that you don't normally see them this way of that the ocean is so deep that such a huge object can go completely under..

Or it's just masses and masses of water just being where it's not supposed to be :\

I dunno - i find it fascinating.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 05:36:10 PM »
Don't know what anyone will make of this, but the story's made the front page of tomorrow's Guardian in a fairly audacious way...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »
Whoops A Daisy !

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »
loltheguardian

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »

Even though I know it's real, that photo is so surreal it looks photoshopped to me.

I doubt they were "dry." Completely soaked/drenched? Probably not. Dry? Doubt it.

From the time they started evacuation to well after the time they got into lifeboats, I can't envision a single moment in my head where pulling out a phone would be an acceptable move. They were concerned about survival and getting off the ship as quick as possible. Even once they got onto the lifeboats, I'm sure the majority of them were calling their family to let them know they were alive.

I don't think this whole thing happened as quickly as you are imagining.

- For about an hour and a half, no order of evacuation was given. The passengers were told to gather outside and that in a short time the cruise would have resumed. No one but the crew was aware at the time that the ship had indeed collided with a rock, since the official explaination to the passenger was that of a generic "electric malfunctioning".

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »

Even if 1 in a 100 people managed to keep their phone or camera dry, there should be at least 40+ videos of the event.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »
Attention world: When you are faced with a potentially catastrophic event that could lead to your death, please take videos with your cell phones for Chino :laugh:

Not sure what this line's clientele is, but for my company, it is mainly people pushing 100 who have a hard time getting on the internet to print out their boarding documents. Taking a video with their cell phones might be a stretch for them.

Also, just got a company-wide email from Carnival’s CEO saying how we are committed to the safety of our crew and guests, blah blah blah.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
https://news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-ordered-ship-captain-back-board-124134509.html

Coast Guard: There are people who are coming down the ladder on the bow. Go back in the opposite direction, get back on the ship, and tell me how many people there are and what they have on board. Tell me if there are children, women and what type of help they need. And you tell me the number of each of these categories. Is that clear?

Listen Schettino, perhaps you have saved yourself from the sea but I will make you look very bad. I will make you pay for this. Dammit, go back on board!

(Noise can be heard in the background. Apparently other Coast Guard officers are shouting to each other in the same room about "the ship, the ship")

Captain: Please ...

Coast Guard: There is no 'please' about it. Get back on board. Assure me you are going back on board!

Captain: I'm in a lifeboat, I am under here. I am not going anywhere. I am here.

Is there something mentally wrong with this guy? From reading the transcript, he seems "off".