Author Topic: Obama pulls rug under GOP  (Read 2470 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Obama pulls rug under GOP
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
Smaaaaht move by him:

WASHINGTON—President Barack Obama will ask Congress on Friday for greater power to shrink the federal government, and he would start by trying to merge six major trade and commerce agencies whose overlapping programs can be baffling to businesses, the White House said Friday. The Commerce Department would be among those that would cease to exist.

Raise Your Voice
Care about the issues in this article? Click to write to your elected representatives.
Obama will call on Congress to give him a type of reorganizational power last held by a president when Ronald Reagan was in office. The Obama version would be a so-called consolidation authority allowing him to propose mergers that promise to save money and help consumers. The deal would entitle him to an up-or-down vote from Congress in 90 days.

It would be up to lawmakers, therefore, to first grant Obama this fast-track authority and then decide whether to approve any of his specific ideas.

"The government we have is not the government we need," said Jeffrey Zients, who is leading the effort as deputy director of the Office of Management and Budget.

Obama will announce his effort at the White House on Friday morning. Administration officials first confirmed the news to The Associated Press.

In an election year and a political atmosphere of tighter spending, Obama's move is about more than improving a giant bureaucracy. He is attempting to directly counter Republican arguments that he has presided over the kind of government regulation, spending and debt that can undermine the economy -- a dominant theme of the emerging presidential campaign.

Republicans have often aligned themselves with smaller government. So politically, Obama is trying to put the onus on Republicans in the House and Senate to show why they would be against the pursuit of leaner government.

From Capitol Hill, a spokesman for Sen. Mitch McConnell, the top Republican in the Senate, pledged Obama's plan would get a careful review.

But the spokesman, Don Stewart, also said: "After presiding over one of the largest expansions of government in history, and a year after raising the issue in his last State of the Union, it's interesting to see the president finally acknowledge that Washington is out of control."

Obama has an imperative to deliver. He made the promise to come up with a smart reorganization of the government in his last State of the Union speech last January.

At the time, Obama grabbed attention by pointing out the absurdity of government inefficiency. In what he called his favorite example, Obama said: "The Interior Department is in charge of salmon while they're in fresh water, but the Commerce Department handles them when they're in saltwater. And I hear it gets even more complicated once they're smoked."

https://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2012/01/13/apnewsbreak_obama_seeks_power_to_merge_agencies/?p1=News_links

So, this move puts the GOP into a difficult position. They can't oppose it without making it brutally obvious they're just doing it for opposition's sake. If they approve it, they're implicitly approving of Obama's politics.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Obama pulls rug under GOP
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:41:47 AM »
Yeah,  my guess is they conjure up a bullshit reason to oppose it.  The current crop of republicans have made some pretty stupid moves of late,  and I think this will be another. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »
So, this move puts the GOP into a difficult position. They can't oppose it without making it brutally obvious they're just doing it for opposition's sake. If they approve it, they're implicitly approving of Obama's politics.

rumborak

OR, legislators on both sides of the aisle can actually approve or oppose based on whether it's actually a good or bad idea.  Just sayin'.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »

rumborak

OR, legislators on both sides of the aisle can actually approve or oppose based on whether it's actually a good or bad idea.  Just sayin'.

Probably displaying my blatant bias here, but I think Republicans as of late have shown their complete inability to agree or compromise. And now, in election year, they will be even more incapable of doing so.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:52:24 AM »

rumborak

Probably displaying my blatant bias here, but I think Republicans as of late have shown their complete inability to agree or compromise. And now, in election year, they will be even more incapable of doing so.

rumborak

I think Obama could approve the use of a 100% effective cure for cancer and the Republicans would still vote it down just because he backed it.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »
Sadly, if one side comes up with the perfect answer for everything; the very nature of modern American politics means that the other side must reject it or forfeit the votes.  It's all about votes not ideas.  The second you agree with the other side, you abandon the people who support you.  It's ridiculous. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »
Pretty much a win-win for Obama either way here.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »
Presidential trolling. I love it.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 10:37:55 AM »
Presidential trolling. I love it.
Also the salmon quote.  I love it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
Pretty shrewd move on Obama's part, gotta hand him that. 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
Not only was it a shrewd move, it's also the right thing to do for the country.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »
Wow, another recent move by Obama that just puts him miles ahead of anyone else.

The only thing Republican really have on him is distortion and lies. They could come up with legitimate concerns, but instead they blame him for random nonsense and attack him for positions he doesn't actually hold or can't control.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 03:15:01 PM »
Pretty much a win-win for Obama either way here.
This.

This is a step in the right direction, Obama. If any of the Republicans oppose this, they're fucking idiots.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
It would actually be better for him if they did oppose it; it'd show they don't give a shit about ideology, that they're all about politics.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »

rumborak

rumborak

First let me say it's a good idea but in all honesty, if a Rep was in office right now the Dems would do the same thing with the election coming and isn't that the real problem here?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 05:50:35 PM »
Parents had Fox News on the ride home from Madison.  They're going to fight it, they were saying it was a joke of an initiative.  God damn it, when will our political system just work together.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 06:32:13 PM »
Now had a Republican proposed it it would've been hailed as a great leap forward.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
At least until Obama supported it.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »

rumborak

rumborak
This is easily defused. If you're a Republican, you jump on the bandwagon immediately. Then, turn to the President and ask, "Not a bad start,  now how about we start some real downsizing?"

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »

rumborak

rumborak
This is easily defused. If you're a Republican, you jump on the bandwagon immediately. Then, turn to the President and ask, "Not a bad start,  now how about we start some real downsizing?"

Parents had Fox News on the ride home from Madison.  They're going to fight it, they were saying it was a joke of an initiative.  God damn it, when will our political system just work together.

Sometimes, I love the Republicans' stubborn partisanship.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »

rumborak

rumborak

Sometimes, I love the Republicans' stubborn partisanship.
They may not follow my strategy. But they should.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 11:19:29 AM »
Obama is a smart man. I do not feel bad that I'm going to vote for him again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »
Nor should you. :tup

Anyway, I originally came here to post something lighthearted for a change:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »
 :lol
Calvin and Hobbes is my favorite comic of all time,  I could read it all day.