Author Topic: Barren Earth  (Read 2326 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Barren Earth
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:28:58 AM »
Has anyone listened to these guys? Barren Earth play progressive death/doom and fans of stuff like Opeth and Amorphis should like them - there's both clean and harsh vocals, heavy riffs, mellow sections, proggy and folky stuff. Their debut Curse of the Red River was my 2nd favorite album of 2010 (behind Anathema's We're Here Because We're Here) and now they have a new album coming out in March.

I recommend listening to songs like Our Twilight, Flicker and the title-track of the debut, Curse of the Red River to get a good picture of their style. I'm sure some people who were disappointed by Opeth's Heritage could love Barren Earth; it's not like they're a second-rate version or copycat of Opeth (the songs are shorter and maybe a bit more straightforward), but there are Opethish elements that could attract some listeners. The members of this band are well-known from bands like Swallow the Sun, Amorphis and Moonsorrow, but BE isn't a typical supergroup whose success relies on the names of the members, the music is seriously great! :metal

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: Barren Earth
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:07:20 AM »
Sounds good, thanks for sharing :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »
No prob, good to see one new (possible) fan! :) Samples of the new album can be heard here

Offline adace

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:25:55 PM »
Thanks for posting! The video isn't that special but I enjoy the song very much. If the rest of the album maintains the same quality, this could be a 5-star record (Curse... was "just" 4 stars for me)! :metal

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:39:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I'll check it out!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:55:46 AM »
Dear friends. We regret to announce the departure of Mikko Kotamäki from BARREN EARTH.

Due to conflicting schedules, Mikko cannot contribute to BARREN EARTH's activities any longer. The decision was made by mutual agreement with absolutely no drama involved.

We will keep working on new material, and will launch search for a new vocalist shortly.

BARREN EARTH wants to thank Mikko for his crucial input for BARREN EARTH's works and wishes him all the best in the future.
Damn, hopefully they'll find a good replacement... Luckily they've started working on new material:

Paradise Angel might sound like the title of a ballad until you realize it's Paradise Lost + Morbid Angel :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 03:33:01 AM »
Barren Earth is excited to welcome Faroese native Jón Aldará as the band's new lead vocalist. The band has been busy fine-tuning and demoing songs for it's third full-length album which it plans to start recording during spring 2014.

"As a fan of Barren Earth from the very beginning, I had no doubts about showing my interest in the singer position. And now that things have started rolling and I've had some time to look at the new material, I'm extremely excited to be part of the band's future. Now let's rock!" says Jón Aldárá.

"Jón is a friend with a strong voice that simply is no less than a perfect fit for our material - old and new. I was grinning like crazy as we ran through a handful of new songs at our first rehearsal with him after sending demos back and forth over email the past couple of months, everything was just sounding so good. There's just no way to put this without sounding cliched as hell but his contribution to the new material has indeed already taken the sound of the band to a new level. Can't wait to hit the stage and the studio!" comments Janne Perttilä.

Barren Earth is:

Jón Aldará - lead vocals
Sami Yli-Sirniö - guitars
Janne Perttilä - guitars
Olli-Pekka Laine - bass
Kasper Mĺrtenson - keyboards
Marko Tarvonen - drums
A Faroese singer? Interesting! I'm looking forward to hear what he sounds like.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 03:47:24 AM »
Yes a big fan of the first album, a classic to these ears.
Second one I didn't like too much at all.
Looking forward to hear some new material.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »

Offline adace

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »
Been digesting my promo copy of the new album for a while. It's really great!

Online gazinwales

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 02:14:12 PM »
Still haven't got the CD.
Made the mistake of ordering from CM Distro, the clear vinyl edition is delayed.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 06:49:09 AM »
New single, Further Down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wee1WBKPOD4

New album A Complex of Cages comes out on March 30.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 07:11:06 AM »
Ah, these guys... wow... I had never heard of them but I saw them open for Finntroll and Ensiferum during the 2011 USA "Finnish Metal Tour" - still have the shirt to prove it - and they reminded me of Opeth BIG time... I gotta see what they're up to these days. They were far better than the other bands on the bill (even the headliners).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online gazinwales

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
Great song, has everything thrown in, sounds very promising and is an automatic purchase for me.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 08:31:04 AM »
The last album was a sore disappointment, but judging by the single this could be better.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 01:45:01 AM »
I thought the last album had it's moments but the CD was mastered way too loud and totally ruin's any good songs.
I should get round to playing the vinyl one day, it's supposed to be 'mastered specially for vinyl', hopefully not too loud.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 07:52:33 AM »
Barren Earth explores the previously uncharted territory of power ballad with "Withdrawal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh2r_1inkmU
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.