Author Topic: Amish men say they won't budge on buggy fight  (Read 6395 times)

Offline Vivace

Re: Amish men say they won't budge on buggy fight
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
I have a lot of respect for the Amish and I think we can learn a lot from them, especially since they will probably be our lifeline to the world when we finally destroy ourselves. but I do agree that if you will not make sure the vehicle you are using on the highway is up to code, then you cannot drive on the highway.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »
DO they drive on roads and highways constructed by the state?  A modern paved road is quite "un-plain"

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
They avoid freeways, but yes otherwise they're on the roads

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
I personally think nothing keeps it more real than buggying through a wheat field.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:02:38 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
DO they drive on roads and highways constructed by the state?  A modern paved road is quite "un-plain"

Here (in Northern Indiana) they ride on US Route 20, which is pretty busy (with a speed limit of 55 mph).  Granted it's not a limited access highway at that point, but if the buggies had no high visibility markings it would be highly dangerous, with the high speeds and truck traffic.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »

but if the buggies had no high visibility markings it would be highly dangerous, with the high speeds and truck traffic.

Everyone keeps talking about this, but it hasn't happened. The Amish in question used high visibility markings, they just didn't use the orange ones the authority wanted them to.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »

but if the buggies had no high visibility markings it would be highly dangerous, with the high speeds and truck traffic.

Everyone keeps talking about this, but it hasn't happened. The Amish in question used high visibility markings, they just didn't use the orange ones the authority wanted them to.

I just noticed that in the article, thanks for pointing that out.  What they use makes them visible, but I would believe the orange triangles would work better.  Psychologically people who see the triangle would think to slow down, since they're used on tractors and other machinery.  I see reflective tape, the first thing I think of is it's probably a person running or riding a bike.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »

I just noticed that in the article, thanks for pointing that out.  What they use makes them visible, but I would believe the orange triangles would work better.  Psychologically people who see the triangle would think to slow down, since they're used on tractors and other machinery.  I see reflective tape, the first thing I think of is it's probably a person running or riding a bike.

And neither of those two tell you to slow down, or avoid the buggy? Perhaps the Amish would be willing to settle for a different design of the reflective tape, to make it obvious. Not sure if that was ever brought up, but it's rather silly to be stuck on the fact that it's "not the right color," when it doesn't have an effect on visibility.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2012, 09:06:25 PM »
The Amish around here are definitely pretty easy-going.  Haven't heard of too much issue with this kinda thing.  They're very easy to see on the road.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »
The rules of the road get in the way of everybody's lifestyle, but they protect everybody's life too.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »
Oh my god, how did I miss this thread!?  I totally live in Amish county and have a relevant opinion :D :D :D

If you don't live in an area with the Amish, you don't understand how awful it is to drive with the buggies on the road.  Where I live, they have a black metal base with a grey covering.  Yes, almost the exact colors best suited to blend into a nighttime environment.  At least where I live they do have orange plates and lights.  Even then, they're still a huge accident risk. 

What often happens is that the buggy will be kinda sorta on the shoulder.  The car behind the buggy will try to pass through the middle of the road, thinking he/she won't hit any cars in the other lane.  Obviously, this doesn't always work out.

An underrated problem with buggies is their steel tires.  When you ride behind them, you can literally see the road being ground up under them.  PA has some of the worst roads in the country.  Part of it is because we hire cheap (aka terrible) contractors.  But still, you can't tell me this is all coincidence.

As for the whole "even though they're backwards and misguided, you still have to respect their beliefs" thing, I can assure you based on personal experience and the myriad of horror stories that line of thinking is 100% bullshit.  Their society is essentially a cult.  It's structured intentionally to make it difficult for people to leave.  And if you try, they'll use the legal system to get you back.  And if you're a non-Amish in a business relationship with them, be wary of the possibility that you'll be treated unfairly because you're an "outsider."

Fortunately, their society also has its comedic side.  I've heard stories from a couple different people about Amish guys growing and smoking tons of pot.  The ones who do are irrationally cavalier about it because they get away with being excluded from society in so many other ways.  For instance - brace yourself to seethe with anger - they don't pay social security taxes.  Culturally fostering ignorance, technological stagnation, and child-abuse has its perks I guess.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »
I have a lot of respect for the Amish and I think we can learn a lot from them, especially since they will probably be our lifeline to the world when we finally destroy ourselves. but I do agree that if you will not make sure the vehicle you are using on the highway is up to code, then you cannot drive on the highway.

There is indeed a lot we can learn from the Amish.  For instance, if you're outside and need to beat your child (male or female), the choice of twig is very important.  It can't be too small or it won't make an impact.  But if it's too large it will actually kill the kid, which is undesirable.  Ideally you want something that isn't super thick, but doesn't bend very much.  If it doesn't bend at all, it's kind of like a small club.  If it has a little bend, then it produces a kind of whipping effect, which will keep the child's disobedience in check.

BTW, I'd just like to tell you that I have no hard feelings toward the Amish and their culture.  None whatsoever.
Over and over again

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 09:17:28 AM »
Dude, we so have to go to Shady Maple next time I'm down there.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »

I'm creeped out that you deduced I live within driving distance of Shady Maple.  Although, now that I think about it, I guess the Amish in this part of the state don't have a much wider berth.  They all have to be within a buggy ride of each other.
Over and over again

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
Question semi-related... do the Amish accept checks or credit cards if you purchase something from them? How does that work?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 02:05:58 PM »
Question semi-related... do the Amish accept checks or credit cards if you purchase something from them? How does that work?

It depends.

If you deal with them on a more one-on-one level, then you're paying with cash.  One nice thing about having the Amish around is you can get quality wood work done at a cheap rate.  This means you'll be going to their house to pick up the picture frame or whatever you ordered. 

What I'm less sure about is if you go to a real store that just happens to be run by someone who is Amish.  I just don't personally do it so I can't say.  There's a really good butcher in our area who I'm 95% sure is Amish.  He almost certainly has a powered freezer or some kind, so why wouldn't he have a credit card machine?  But I just honestly don't remember.  I'd assume they do simply because, if I ran a quality butcher shop, I wouldn't expect people to carry 30+ dollars in cash to buy nice steak.

For all the talk about them being quaint, the Amish seem to have a knack for entrepreneurial savvyness.
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »

There is indeed a lot we can learn from the Amish.  For instance, if you're outside and need to beat your child (male or female), the choice of twig is very important.  It can't be too small or it won't make an impact.  But if it's too large it will actually kill the kid, which is undesirable.  Ideally you want something that isn't super thick, but doesn't bend very much.  If it doesn't bend at all, it's kind of like a small club.  If it has a little bend, then it produces a kind of whipping effect, which will keep the child's disobedience in check.

BTW, I'd just like to tell you that I have no hard feelings toward the Amish and their culture.  None whatsoever.
Shame you don't post around here much anymore.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »

I'm creeped out that you deduced I live within driving distance of Shady Maple.  Although, now that I think about it, I guess the Amish in this part of the state don't have a much wider berth.  They all have to be within a buggy ride of each other.

Well, you'd once before told me that you lived in that general area.  Shady Maple was a general point of interest that sounded good.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2012, 04:12:06 PM »

FWIW, my wife ordered a piece of furniture online from a business that claims to be authentic Amish, and she paid with a credit card.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 01:38:42 AM »
Well obviously if their amishness allowed them to have a website then accepting credit cards would be a minor violation hehe
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 02:37:40 AM »
For instance - brace yourself to seethe with anger - they don't pay social security taxes.

Do they receive social security?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:16 AM »
For instance - brace yourself to seethe with anger - they don't pay social security taxes.

Do they receive social security?
I would assume they don't, so there would be no need to pay SS taxes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »

my brother goes there all the time but i've never been :|

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »
I've only been there the one time, but it was pretty good.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2012, 08:39:58 AM »
It's all about Steak night dude.  The cooks there know what they're doing.  And, the meat is cooked on a griddle - aka the best way possible.  And since it's a buffet, this means you can eat at least two steaks in a night.  More if you sufficiently lack self-respect.
Over and over again

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »
I sooooo sufficiently lack it on steak night.