Author Topic: Amish men say they won't budge on buggy fight  (Read 6396 times)

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
Amish men say they won't budge on buggy fight
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:07:16 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/amish-men-wont-budge-buggy-fight-190250184.html

To Gingerich and others in the conservative Amish community known as Swartzentruber, using the bright reflective symbol amounts to blasphemy. They consider it garish and believe they should rely on God, not symbols, for protection on the highway.

"We try to lead a simple, plain life," Gingerich said from his workshop as blue and navy shirts and pants fluttered on a clothesline outside. "Putting that orange triangle on the back of our buggy would not leave our buggies plain anymore."

Living near Amish country, this angers me.  Buggies ride on the shoulder of a busy highway here in rural N Indiana.  If I can't see them, how can I miss them when I'm going the speed limit (55 mph)?

edit: added a quote
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Amish men say they won't budge on buggy fight
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »
That's such bullshit.  If they can't put a simple reflective PLATE on their buggies, then kick them off the highways, as those aren't fit to be on highways.  This isn't sticking to your beliefs but more so hiding behind it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
And buggies themselves aren't garish?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »
And buggies themselves aren't garish?

rumborak

:rollin :rollin
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
Seriously, at this point in history, sticking to horse and buggy is actually more complicated than having a car.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »
How the fuck do you even change the oil on a horse? The only breed I have experience with is a Mustang :neverusethis:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 02:11:32 PM »
Seriously, at this point in history, sticking to horse and buggy is actually more complicated than having a car.

The difference is you can make a buggy from scratch on your own.

But yeah, if they're not gonna use reflectors they really don't have the right to drive on the freeways, at least at night. It's a danger to others, simple as that.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
What I want to know is if they're required to carry liability? 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »
That's such bullshit.  If they can't put a simple reflective PLATE on their buggies, then kick them off the highways, as those aren't fit to be on highways.  This isn't sticking to your beliefs but more so hiding behind it.

From what I read, they had put reflective plates on their cars, they just refused the giant orange triangles. They used grey reflective tape, which was shown not to make a significant. Meanwhile, I heard other reports that said the jail was goin to not issue them orange jumpsuits, per normal. If true, that's an awesome ending to a stupid reason to jail someone.

So basically, the major complaint made by people isn't true.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »

That's up to God, of course.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »

I bet not and what could you sue them for? Churned butter?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »

I bet not and what could you sue them for? Churned butter?
How bout a high quality, hand built oak bedroom set? 

And Amish actually do alright.  They're not keen on technology,  but money doesn't bother them any.  A lot of those communities turn nice money.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
It would be of great quality. 

You've got to wonder how many times an accident like this situation we are talking about has happened.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »

I've always wondered this. Do they have to get licenses as well? I'm sure they can be changed with DUI just like someone on a bicycle right?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »

I've always wondered this. Do they have to get licenses as well? I'm sure they can be changed with DUI just like someone on a bicycle right?
Yup. Some kid in my area got an underage and a DUI in a buggy recently.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 10:17:16 PM »
It's going to very by state,  and how they define a motor vehicle.  In Tejas:  a device in, on, or by which a person or property is or may be transported or drawn on a highway, except a device used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks.  So at least down here it's a crime to operate while loaded,  and you would need a license and registration, as well. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »
El Barto have you ever seen these guys in Texas? I've never seen them but they sound fascinating, not in a sarcastic way really.
I think my life would double in length if I couldn't use the internet or watch T.V.
Sorry for being off topic but the Amish communities were always one of the things I wanted to hear opinions about here but as usual was lazy.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
the amish people I knew in OH were amazing.  completely devoted to their faith (though misguided IMO), pure integrity and humility, insanely hard working and extremely kindhearted and friendly.  I am sure there are plenty of exceptions, but none of the ones I knew were the exception

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 07:49:27 AM »
I didn't know they had their own faith until recently. I thought it was a life style choice.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »
I don't think Texas has much of an Amish presence.  Saw plenty of them in New Mexico, though.

I tend to be fairly respectful of them,  particularly after the way they dealt with the crazed milk man a few years back.  Like Yesh said,  I find them to be misguided,  but then I think that of all religious folk.  And considering the human decency that these guys display,  particularly compared to other Christian sects,  they rank quite high in my book.   Simply put,  I wouldn't want to be one of these guys,  and I'm glad they don't run the country,  but I wish mainstream Christians could possess the same level of grace that they do.  This would be a much better place. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 11:32:25 AM »
I think they can take it a bit to far, but they're actual consideration of how technology affects their society is very admirable, and something sorely missing in the rest of society. Contrary to popular conception, many Amish communities do use modern technology, just in a way where they're controlling the technology, and not the other way around. Heard about some that even use Cell Phones - but they turn them off when they go into the house, because it serves as too much of a distraction otherwise.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
Classic.
On the main topic of the thread I have a question; isn't their refusal to push the triangle on the buggy considered a risk they're taking on themselves? As long as the person who's driving the Hummer at night on the highway doesn't go to jail when he demolishes the buggy and everything on it because he couldn't see it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 02:49:16 PM »
It's still dangerous for the Hummer driver. If people drove tanks in PA it would only be a danger to the Amish, but slamming your Honda Civic into a buggy is likely to screw you up too.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »
Classic.
On the main topic of the thread I have a question; isn't their refusal to push the triangle on the buggy considered a risk they're taking on themselves? As long as the person who's driving the Hummer at night on the highway doesn't go to jail when he demolishes the buggy and everything on it because he couldn't see it.
Two problems.  One,  children riding on the buggy had no say-so in their parent's obstinacy.  Second,  I shouldn't have to deal with the pain in the ass of getting Amish bits removed from the grill of my car.  Just because Allstate is paying for the damage doesn't mean that getting into an accident isn't a real drag.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
 :rollin :rollin That really cracked me up so hard.
I see your points though.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »
It's still dangerous for the Hummer driver. If people drove tanks in PA it would only be a danger to the Amish, but slamming your Honda Civic into a buggy is likely to screw you up too.

rumborak

Not to mention if you actually hit the horse.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »

rumborak

That damage looks pretty tame compared to what I would expect if one actually hit a horse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »

rumborak

That damage looks pretty tame compared to what I would expect if one actually hit a horse.

Yes, but I think the mane point is that you should try to rein in the damage, rather than just gallop right in in an unbridled fashion, saddle your insurance with the damage, and just expect them to ride in like the cavalry to pony up some cash to save you.  Anyhow, just had to drop a bit of knowledge.  Hi-ho, silver, I'm out!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:27:29 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
Man there was so much forced into that post it actually wasn't funny

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 11:52:21 PM »

rumborak

It seems out of character for Hef to be wearing plorts.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 04:22:49 AM »
It's been known to happen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 07:30:44 AM »
What's an Amish woman's fantasy?

Two Mennonite.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
What's an Amish woman's fantasy?

Two Mennonite.
Oh wow.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
Cozmo can probably attest to this as well, but around where we live, the Amish haven't put up TOO much of a fight regarding buggy regulations. Most of them in our area have reflective plates and, for a lot of them, turn signals and headlights too. It's a lot safer that way. There were a few accidents where cars plowed into them because they just can't see the buggies til it's too late.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »
Cozmo can probably attest to this as well, but around where we live, the Amish haven't put up TOO much of a fight regarding buggy regulations. Most of them in our area have reflective plates and, for a lot of them, turn signals and headlights too. It's a lot safer that way.

Around here most buggies have flashing beacon type lights on them.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.