Author Topic: New Lacuna Coil!  (Read 5338 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
New Lacuna Coil!
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:58:32 AM »
Not sure how I missed the lead up to this, but apparently, the new album, Dark Adrenaline, is due out 1/26 in the U.S.  Last I heard, Christina was very casually mentioning that they were messing around with some ideas for new songs.  I wasn't expecting anything this soon.  Good news! 

Two new songs up on their site (on with a video):  https://www.lacunacoil.it/
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: New Lacuna Coil!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 08:02:32 AM »
Awesome news! I adore double vocalist bands.... LC rocks!
Actually Mr.1 I'm gonna rec you two bands judging from your love for Lacuna Coil and Theocracy... PM will be sent soon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:08:21 AM »
Cool.  Looking forward to it.  ...although I wouldn't say I "love" Theocracy.  I just picked up their new album since they had been so highly recommended.  I'm still trying to figure out whether or not I like it.  If you want to see what I've been into lately, take a look at my top 10 for 2011 post, and add to that that I just bought Nightwish and will buy LC when it comes out.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=30287.msg1181590#msg1181590
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:17:58 AM »
Oh I see... Then I'm not sure whether you'll like the second one... but pretty sure you'll like the first..... I've been digging Lacuna Coil for years now but this other band I discovered recently just blew my mind... I'm planning to use that band in the upcoming roulettes... thus the top secrecy :)

Brilliant list btw  :metal

Haven't checked out the last albums of Neal Morse and Journey yet... but heard that they've done an amazing job....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »
I was a huge Lacuna Coil-fan a few years ago, but Shallow Life didn't impress me much. Karmacode was a bit the same, but I still enjoyed it pretty much, but Unleashed Memories and Comalies remains unbeatable for me.
Still, might check the new one out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:29:39 AM »
I was a huge Lacuna Coil-fan a few years ago, but Shallow Life didn't impress me much. Karmacode was a bit the same, but I still enjoyed it pretty much, but Unleashed Memories and Comalies remains unbeatable for me.

I hear you.  Comalies is my favorite.  Karmacode has some really great heavy grooves, but as you said, it starts to feel really samey by the time you are about halfway through the album.  I was a little bit cold on Shallow Life when it first came out, other than Spellbound.  But seeing them live in a small club when they toured on that album completely changed my opinion of the songs, and SL ended up being my #4 album of 2009 (behind Transatlantic, Dream Theater, and Redemption).

Obscure, for a couple of the best songs off the new Journey, here are some neat live versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2O_7ogJMhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuCoTfbmJKk&feature=related

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 08:56:06 AM »
My wife like this band a lot.  I'm not too keen on the male vocals at all but Christina has an excelent voice. 

I am with obscure I love bands with  dual or multiple vocalists.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
I am with obscure I love bands with  dual or multiple vocalists.

Me too... Nightwish, After Forever are the two that immediately come to mind.  Then, there's everything from Arjen's projects.  I've been meaning for a long time to check out a few female lead bands like LC, Xandria and Within Temptation, but just never got around to it.

Suggestions?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »
The ones I love jingle.boy are of the light variety.

Dada
The Rembrandts
The Posies
The Avett Brothers
CPR  (Crosby and his son James Raymond)
Guster

Alice in Chains--Everybody knows them.
Tantric
King's X
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
I've been meaning for a long time to check out a few female lead bands like LC, Xandria and Within Temptation, but just never got around to it.

Suggestions?

While I like quite a few, Within Temptation are the best of the bunch, IMO.  Here are a few songs that I feel best represent them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDJabk-Qqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8hJsKn0wzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPiP_oHAiks

I intentionally saved the best for last, so no cheating--go through them one by one in order.  :)

EDIT:  Oh, I guess I should throw something new in there as well.  Good song, but is a bit more mainstream and straightforward:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caENELmIXvE&ob=av2e
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:26:01 PM by bosk1 »

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »
I've got some suggestions too....

So you said you like After Forever... don't know whether you checked her new band out .... if not.. take a look at this... I was losing it when I saw her live in London... one adorable lady..... the experience is incomplete without a video but I couldn't find one with a  decent audio...

ReVamp - Disgraced

Well Therion .. I'm sure you've checked them out ... but since you didn't include them in your post... you know just in case....

Therion - Trul

and to give you some motivation to check WT out:

Within Temptation - The Howling
Within Temptation - Stand My Ground

even better live... it's always given me the chills when the crowd starts to sing along....

Within Temptation - Stand My Ground live  

Epica.... I think they could be better.... sth missing... that I can't put my finger on... maybe better songs idk.. still good though....
Epica - Cry For The Moon

finally for only those who are into heavy tunes like myself...

Mandragora Scream - Dark Lantern

and there's another band that I think you'll like but I have to save it for your roulette I'm afraid  ;D

edit: I bought a ticket for WT gig even before I got to London and it got postponed since Sharon was expecting her second child..I cried...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »
Nem, I already beat you to the punch on the WT suggestions.  :biggrin:  Two of mine are The Howling and Stand My Ground.  The other two are Ice Queen (from Black Symphony) and Faster (official vid).

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
dangit bosk... I was dealing with the url stuff and things ... damn  :P :laugh:

it's also kind of creepy that you picked the  same exact songs.... if you ever run a roulette... I'm so in :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
:lol  I've never so much as glanced at a roulette thread.  No idea how they even work.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »
Quick everyone get to the roulette threads we can break the rules there! :xbones
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 01:58:51 PM »
:itsatrap:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »
 :rollin

Nice.  I literally laughed out loud sitting here in a hotel lobby waiting for my ride to the airport.

Revamp... I have listened to their debut.  I love Floor.  Too bad she's kinda under the weather.  Will investigate the others though.  Thanks for the suggestions.  But don't give away all your secrets... My roulette is coming up in, well, probably 6 months.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 02:04:34 PM »
 :lol you're right ... it feels like ages when I said I wanted to run my own.... but I'm extremely excited for it... it's gonna be so much fun.. and so much whipping :neverusethis:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »
All really good stuff.  LC was good... although the male vocals sound just a little too generic on first listen.  Maybe I need to give it some more listens.  WT... booyah!  Guess I'm buying five albums today.  Therion was good; Epica... meh.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 10:27:22 AM »
WT... booyah!  Guess I'm buying five albums today. 

If you can find Black Symphony, their live set, in the CD/DVD edition, it is far and away the best concert DVD I have ever seen, hands down.  The only slight criticisms I have are:  (1) the CD doesn't have the full set, and (2) the guitars are downplayed a bit in favor of the orchestra, so the songs don't sound quite as heavy at times.  But the strengths more than make up for those minor flaws.

Did you watch the videos I linked to above?  The third one, Ice Queen, is the final song from that show.  Unlike that clip, on the DVD, the footage rolls for a few minutes after the song ends, and the crowd shots are just amazing.  There's this one older guy they show in the middle of the crowd just staring off into space with a blank look on his face that, to me, clearly conveys the message of, "I cannot hardly even comprehend, much less put into words, the amount of awesome I have just experienced."  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »
Yeah, I did watch all the vids (was multi-tasking though, so I may not have watched them all start-to-finish).  I'll look for the DVD somehow/somewhere.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »
Amazon has it for $25 (or more if you want to buy the European/Japanese version with additional DVD and additional CD).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »
ooooohhhhhh... thanks for the tip

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
Also it's actually the 24th of January!  That's my birthday!  another album to add to the list heh.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 02:53:48 AM »
WT... booyah!  Guess I'm buying five albums today. 

If you can find Black Symphony, their live set, in the CD/DVD edition, it is far and away the best concert DVD I have ever seen, hands down. 
It's one of my favorites in my collection....plain awesome....

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »
https://www.spin.com/articles/stream-lacuna-coils-heavy-hooky-rem-covering-lp-dark-adrenaline

For all of us Lacuna Coil fans out there, Spin has a full stream of the new album!  ;D

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »
YAY..... thanks honey!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »

This sums up me as well
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 08:10:54 AM »
I've given the album a listen now, wasn't really that impressed.
Like with Shallow Life, one of the things I don't like is that their albums have gotten shorter and shorter. Most of the songs on Dark Adrenaline are below 4 minutes, and personally I think a lot of the song structures become very repetitive/uninteresting because of it.
When I look back on Unleashed Memories and Comalies, those albums were longer, the songs were a bit longer, and while we aren't talking about 6-7 minute long songs, I do think one minute here and there can make a lot of difference. The songs felt more "alive", on the last two albums I feel like they have sort of compressed the sound, something that started on Karmacode already, but has been more and more noticeable.
I'm not saying that I found Dark Adrenaline to be bad, but it didn't really grab my interest, and when the songs are as short as below 4 minutes, it's really hard to use that time to grab my focus. If they had made songs in the 4-5 minute area somewhere, I think it could have been much better.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »
They need to play In A Reverie songs. That's one thing that bugs me that album has amazing songs but are neglected live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »
In a Reverie is superb indeed. Their earlier stuff is quite enchanting to me, "My Wings" is a great example, but "Halflife" is one of my favorite Lacuna Coil songs actually. And that whole EP is fantastic.
In a Reverie - Unleashed Memories - Comalies (including EP's in between these albums) is my favorite Lacuna Coil period. Karmacode was pretty good, but the last two have only been "good" for me, not amazing like their earlier stuff.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 07:33:03 AM »
Fave tracks off the new album: 'I don't believe in Tomorrow' and 'Intoxicated'.. maybe 'Trip to Darkness' too...

need to give it more spins though...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »
:sadpanda:  Y Italian band no tour U.S.?

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »
 :sadpanda: