Author Topic: Which EMG pickups should I get?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
Which EMG pickups should I get?
« on: January 11, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »
I'm considering putting EMG's in one of my guitars.  I've never owned active pickups before and I was just curious as to which ones would fit my style the best.  I know the 81/85 is usually the most common pairing, but I also know that they have the X series as well.  I need a bridge pickup that will throw down heavy, thick crunch but still maintain the attack.  The only time I really use the neck pickup is for my leads, which I like to be thick and "saucy" ala Petrucci.  Any suggestions?

Offline Basekick

Re: Which EMG pickups should I get?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
If you want Petrucci's sound, go with Dimarzio Crunch lab and Liqui fire pickups.

Personally, as far as thick crunch sounds go, I believe DiMarzio's are the way to go.  EMGs just sound a bit sterile to me.

But hey, to each his own.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Mechanix1911

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 02:19:48 PM »
Search for Bare Knuckle pickups, a little more expensive, but they are perfect for what you're looking for + more. They are like a dream.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:55:10 PM »
You might want to look into Dimarzio D'Activators, which are passives with the tonal characteristics of active pups. I have them in a Zachary 7 string, and I love them to death. Very tight and crunchy with zero muddiness or flab. They sound very similar to Petrucci, or at least this video would indicate so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8iM2bmm8bI