Author Topic: There is no facepalm big enough for this...(more school failure)  (Read 2540 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Slavery References in 3rd-Grade Homework

Each tree had 56 oranges. If 8 slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?

If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in 1 week? 2 weeks?

That's how two of the problems read in homework for third graders from Beaver Ridge Elementary School in Norcross, Georgia. Another had young Frederick toting around six baskets of cotton.

Follow-up question: At an elementary school in America's south where the student population is just 5% white and 24% black, how can teachers and administrators be so ignorant?

These aren't division and multiplication problems -- they're people problems. A school spokeswoman for Gwinnett County schools interviewed by CNN said the teachers "were trying to do a cross-curricular activity" fusing social studies in math. Yeah, doubt it. Please forward a copy of their lesson plan -- for third graders -- on slavery. There's no historical context evident anywhere on the homework page. In fact, if the hastily prepared statement from school officials was true to its claim, it indicates that the Beaver Ridge teachers actually believe our country's greatest shame can be taught in the same breath as the multiplication table: "Learn to multiply 2 by 7, kids, and also note that a formative chapter in America's history will forever be haunted by unspeakable crimes against humanity. Lunch time!"

Educators are responsible not only for teaching proper behavior but for modeling it.
Experts differ on the appropriate age for teaching children about slavery but are clear no one should be taught until they're mature enough to first understand respect, humanity and compassion. Whoever prepared those materials or knowingly distributed them to children had no grasp on those moral pillars. If they're lucky, the students and their parents understand forgiveness.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: There is no facepalm big enough for this...(more school failure)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
I don't see the problem.  It was a social studies class, and they were teaching slavery. 

And here's an actual news article about the incident. 
https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/georgia-school-investigates-slave-math-problems/
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »
I don't see the problem.  It was a social studies class, and they were teaching slavery. 

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/georgia-school-investigates-slave-math-problems/

Oh, wow.  Yeah, the fact that it was for social studies class does put it in a bit of a different light.  Still not sure it was the best method, but it suddenly seems a lot more rational than if it was in math class, as stated in the OP.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »

Last time I checked, they don't give a "math quiz" in a "social studies" class.  :|

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »

Last time I checked, they don't give a "math quiz" in a "social studies" class.  :|

Normally, I would agree.  But the article Barto linked to is clear that that is What they did here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:24:52 PM »
I'm not disputing whether or not the article is clear, and I understand cross-curricular studies, but sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.

For example, from the article:

According to Beaver Ridge’s improvement plan for the 2011-2012 school year, one of their objectives is to ”increase academic performances in math” for all students, but specifically African-American students. 

And a great way to achieve that in a school district that is:

....nearly 60 percent are Hispanic; 28 percent, African-American; 5.3 percent, Asian; and 4 percent, white.....

is to send them home with assignments asking [about slaves]

“If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?”

Sorry, but I find that profoundly stupid.

Maybe it's because my grandparents' grandparents were slaves, I don't know...but I still think they could have come up with better ways to introduce cross-curricular studies into their math classes.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »
If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in 1 week?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »
I don't know...but I still think they could have come up with better ways to introduce cross-curricular studies into their math classes.
I agree.  Poor planning.  I just don't think it's deserving of the amount of scorn it's going to get from people who are constantly seeking out excuses to cry about racism. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
Sorry, but I find that profoundly stupid.

That is one area where we do not disagree.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
Wow.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »
:lolpalm:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 04:05:37 PM »
A Klu Klux Klan burning cross requires two 2x4s, one 10', the other 6'. At $5/ft, how much does a cross cost, and what is the minimum percentage of Whites in the neighborhood over which the expense can be made tax-deductible?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »
For a second there, I read it like this.

Q: A Klu Klux Klan burning cross requires two 2x4s, one 10', the other 6'. At $5/ft, how much does a cross cost, and what is the minimum percentage of Whites in the neighborhood over which the expense can be made tax-deductible?

A: rumborak
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 05:10:05 PM »
That is a correct reading, but only because 'rumborak' is a synonym for 42, which is of course always the correct answer.

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
It's offensive, but isn't that partly the point? I mean, I'd say I'm rather thrilled that so many people are so outraged by slavery. Just a tad overboard, but at least it sends the right message.