Old James Labrie vs. Russell Allen

Old James Labrie
58 (33.7%)
Russell Allen
34 (19.8%)
James Labrie even after shrimp
80 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Author Topic: Old James Labrie vs. Russell Allen  (Read 12652 times)

Offline krands85

Re: Old James Labrie vs. Russell Allen
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »
 :coolio
Early LaBrie for me.

But Allen doesn't always sing in the same way as some think.

Nowadays, he does. Before, no, he didn't, but JLB has always been more varied for me. I think that the fact that SX music sounds very samey doesn't help either.

B.Lee
Even on Iconoclast, he doesn't always use his 'gritty' vocals (eg. When All is Lost). But it does definitely seem to be his default singing style recently, which is a shame. A bit more balance would be nice as I do prefer his earlier style.

James is a legend though
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
:coolio
Early LaBrie for me.

But Allen doesn't always sing in the same way as some think.

Nowadays, he does. Before, no, he didn't, but JLB has always been more varied for me. I think that the fact that SX music sounds very samey doesn't help either.

B.Lee
Even on Iconoclast, he doesn't always use his 'gritty' vocals (eg. When All is Lost). But it does definitely seem to be his default singing style recently, which is a shame. A bit more balance would be nice as I do prefer his earlier style.

James is a legend though

You're right : I think the problem lies in the fact that SX has gone for a tougher approach to their music and it is, indeed, a shame. Everytime I listen to Candlelight Fantasia I wonder where this RA has gone (even if he's approached this style in recent years).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 12:17:49 PM »
James all the way....

Haha, I told you not to post your thoughts about me on the forums hahaha

oh you have, haven't you  :lol

Offline Millais

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »
why old James Labrie?
why not just.. James Labrie?

Offline Vajra

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »
Oh god, this question is impossible. James at his peak is unmatched in terms of skill, but the way Russel can switch from angelically soft to satanically brutal is unparallelled.

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 01:03:01 PM »
Tough call. My favourite JLB performance is actually a tie between LATM and Score, so both old and new James. LATM was just so powerful, even if he did oversing a couple of parts. Score, on the other hand, had less of that raw energy but a lot more maturity and was basically a flawless vocal performance. RA has always been one of my favourites and his style on The Odyssey and previous albums was actually much less gritty and more diverse than Paradise Lost, Iconoclast and with A. Mob. Hm... I dunno, I'm still reserving my judgement.
You do know that JLB's vocals were rerecorded on the LATM cd, Right? He was dissatisfied with his performance, so he got them replaced for the cd.
But regardless, James LaBrie all the way!!!  :metal (that is without taking in account for his annoying vibrato in live performances)
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
Have to go with Russell. Though I just really like his clean singing, I'm not a big fan of the growly sound that he uses a lot these days.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
You do know that JLB's vocals were rerecorded on the LATM cd, Right? He was dissatisfied with his performance, so he got them replaced for the cd.

I did NOT know that actually. Was it replaced with a different live performance or a studio recording? He sounds almost equally awesome on the Live in Tokyo DVD/bootleg so I figure it could've been live?

Offline johncal

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »
I way prefer post-shrimp Labrie over RA or the old James. His voice IMO is better now than in the I&W era. Just listening to both today. Yeah he could hit the high notes easier but so what. I actually found it a little annoying and overused and definitely the 90's style. His latest effort (just like his recent solos, same style) is much more preferable to me. Doesn't make me right, just happy ;D

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »
Russell, but it's close.

Offline FsF

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
I still prefer James nowadays over Russell (not to say that I don't like him either, he's great), but early 90s LaBrie blows everyone away. You can pretty much listen to any Images era bootleg, and be stunned by James screaming his head off. Assuming, that is, that you like his old style of singing.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »
James didn't injure his voice due to shrimp causing the food poisoning. It was pork, eggs and beans I think. And I'm not partial to either--he can sound GREAT these days, he could sound GREAT those days, he can sound god awful these days and he could sound god awful those days.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2012, 07:33:56 PM »
James didn't injure his voice due to shrimp causing the food poisoning. It was pork, eggs and beans I think. And I'm not partial to either--he can sound GREAT these days, he could sound GREAT those days, he can sound god awful these days and he could sound god awful those days.

:clap:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 08:12:07 PM »

This reads like a Dr. Seuss book :lol

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »

I did NOT know that actually. Was it replaced with a different live performance or a studio recording? He sounds almost equally awesome on the Live in Tokyo DVD/bootleg so I figure it could've been live?
I don't know any other details other than the source I read it from. I got this info from the 2nd edition of Rich Wilson's "Lifting Shadows" biography of DT's career. It's on page 143, lines 14-20, and reads exactly as follows:

"In the finest tradition of so-called "live" rock albums, it [LATM] had been touched-up after the event with a few dabs of studio wizardry and a few overdubs. 'To be honest, James ended up re-doing his vocals for that,' Mike confesses. 'So I always wondered if we should have named it Dream Theater Live At The Marquee But With James LaBrie Live At Bear Tracks!'"
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »

I don't know any other details other than the source I read it from. I got this info from the 2nd edition of Rich Wilson's "Lifting Shadows" biography of DT's career. It's on page 143, lines 14-20, and reads exactly as follows:

"In the finest tradition of so-called "live" rock albums, it [LATM] had been touched-up after the event with a few dabs of studio wizardry and a few overdubs. 'To be honest, James ended up re-doing his vocals for that,' Mike confesses. 'So I always wondered if we should have named it Dream Theater Live At The Marquee But With James LaBrie Live At Bear Tracks!'"

Coming from Mikes mouth I'm starting to wonder if it's half truths. You I don't think I've ever heard any of the other band members have anything but praise for one another. Saying that something is overdubbed maybe telling the truth and not necessarily degrading to James but I don't think similar things have been said by the others. Not even if a dubbed was obvious; they just brush it off as shit happens. Mike seems to be more than willing to blurt it out the smallest of failings while in or out of the band.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »

Thank you for sharing! I really need to pick up a copy of that book once it's back in print.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 10:19:49 PM »

LaBrie should have avoided those green eggs and ham.

To answer the question, all LaBrie > Russell.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 10:59:38 PM »
Pre-shrimp James > Russel Allen > Post-shrimp James

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 11:49:40 PM »
Oddly enough I am not a big fan of sorpranos or higher voices;however, the first time I heard James I was sold and never questioned whether or not I liked his voice. While I do like Russell Allen's voice, especially the fact he has a lower, grittier voice I still prefer old James or even him today. It doesn't help that he is the lead singer of my favorite band Dream Theater, but regardless it doesn't take away from his talent.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2012, 12:40:45 AM »
Not a big fan of both.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 01:11:36 AM »
Not a big fan of both.

So, why are you posting here?  :justjen

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 03:10:47 AM »
James all the way, even in his most out of tune moment.
I really don't like RA's style of singing, he's the single reason I can't get into Symphony X.
In my opinion, JLB has a far more distinctive voice.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2012, 03:54:41 AM »
I love RA's singing when it's not all grit, grit, grit and more grit.

He's superb on the Star One albums and pretty much all the Symphony X albums I own (which doesn't include their latest) but I seem to remember his solo album being one-track grit and AMob seems to be going the same way.

LaBrie was absolutely stellar back in his heyday (i.e. I&W/Awake) but post-food poisoning he's never been quite the same. He's still first class in the studio though.

Tough one to call, but I went for old JLB.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2012, 05:10:29 AM »
But I love them both  :-[

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2012, 07:01:03 AM »
old james. nothing beats 'BLOOOWWWWWWWJOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB' in the killling hand from LATM

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2012, 08:29:48 AM »
This is difficult for me because I really love James LaBrie as a vocalist, but I honestly don't think he's quite as versatile as Russell Allen.  Unfortunately for us fans that enjoy Sir Allen's more melodic approach to singing, he really hasn't done a whole lot of that kind of stuff lately.  I think my biggest problem with Iconoclast, for instance, is the fact that Allen sounds like he just gargled with glass and nails on practically every track.  Contrast that to some of the vocals he's done on the older SymX albums or even on, say, The Universal Migrator  :hefdaddy

This is a close call for me, but I still have to give the slight edge to Russell Allen.

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »
Russel Allen. But "old Russell Allen" would be the best option.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
This is difficult for me because I really love James LaBrie as a vocalist, but I honestly don't think he's quite as versatile as Russell Allen.  Unfortunately for us fans that enjoy Sir Allen's more melodic approach to singing, he really hasn't done a whole lot of that kind of stuff lately.  I think my biggest problem with Iconoclast, for instance, is the fact that Allen sounds like he just gargled with glass and nails on practically every track.  Contrast that to some of the vocals he's done on the older SymX albums or even on, say, The Universal Migrator  :hefdaddy

This is a close call for me, but I still have to give the slight edge to Russell Allen.

I'm sorry, Barry, but your opinion is wrong.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2012, 06:45:09 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin
I'll never read that the same again now  :lol
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
JLB even after shrimp. Great singer and as others have said, there's only one mode from RA. He was great live but it's all so samey. He was great on Arjen Lucassen's Space Metal gig though.

JLB is God.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »
old JLB because RA gets samey
Yeah, probably this, even though both are great vocalists.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MuumiPeikko

• The New Migrator
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »
James. Anytime. He always been more melodic, and that is what I love
I know the truth is out there.

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »
No contest,
 JLB is god,
i did see russel allen twice with sx as foreband of dt in germany and was not impressed at all, somebody to shout along with a bottle beer in the hand.
Carpe diem baby

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »

He did sound more than great those days, but only at the very beginning of each tour. Somehow, and unsurprisingly, his middle term stamina went down greatly. I'm watching right now a DVD from 1997 where James actually delivers one of his strongest performances ever, and that right in the middle of the lapse of time generally regarded as his "dark age"
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco